D&D 5E Invisibility

Is an object hidden within clothing/gear affected by invisibility, visible?

• Poll closed .

Audiomancer

Adventurer
I would rule that the item becomes invisible. Unless the player specifically asks that it remain visible for shenanigans. (Shenanigans should always trump RAW)

A few months ago, I had a similar experience when my Arcane Trickster cast Mage Hand. The party was in a tavern when a brawl broke out. I was seriously low on HP, so I decided to hide under a table and watch the show. At some point, the DM narrated that an NPC had been knocked into the bar, and spilled a basket of apples that had been sitting there.

So I cast my Mage Hand (invisible because of Arcane Trickster), sent it to grab the least-damaged-looking apple, and brought it back to my hiding spot. Then, “Bonus Action: I start eating the apple.” (That became my catchphrase for a couple of sessions.)

Someone asked if an apple carried by an invisible Mage Hand would be visible or invisible, and we all agreed visible was funnier. So I guess that’s our house rule now.

Edgar Ironpelt

Adventurer
1. I agree with Jeremy Crawford's answer. Pick up an object after you turn invisible, and the object remains visible. Conceal the object in your clothing and it becomes invisible.

2. I remember on old USENET debate in the d&d group (Rec.games.frp.dnd) where the issue was "If you cast Invisibility on a closed door, can you then look through it to see the room (and any occupants) on the other side?" I answered "Yes" (and that the occupants could look through the invisible door to see the party), but there were a number of people who vigorously argued "No!"

Mark1733

Explorer
As someone who will be adjudicating this for the first time, I am interested in this debate so I can set out the expectation to my party. So, from a fantasy/magic perspective, I would think that material/objects external to the invisible subject are able to be concealed as invisible…because that’s just cool. That said, I want to rule consistently and not have to deal with other potential mechanical issues with invisibility. Is it feasible to have a material or object be complete concealed within that which is invisible and “attune” for 1 round? For example, I am invisible, I pick up a dagger and sheath it. For that round its visible but fades to invisible by my next round, as the magic engulfs it, permitting onlookers a perception check to spot my stealth momentarily. Similarly, I take a swig of liquid courage, and the ale visibly swishes in my gut for a few seconds before turning invisible. Similarly, I remove an empty potion vial from my pouch (never letting go) and pour a new liquid into it and put the source bottle down. The bottle which I pick up in touch stays visible as does the liquid. The liquid remains visible for a round at which point it turns invisible within the potion vial. The source bottle I put down remains visible.

Thoughts?

Mark1733

Explorer
Sorry to belabor the point, but how would folks adjudicate invisibility in the terrain with falling snow? Does the snow that falls onto the character become invisible? I have an arctic adventure working and can see this situation happening.

Sorry to belabor the point, but how would folks adjudicate invisibility in the terrain with falling snow? Does the snow that falls onto the character become invisible? I have an arctic adventure working and can see this situation happening.
that could honestly be a really cool way to narrate spotting an invisible enemy - you notice the falling snow just...disappear. not merging with the snow below or being blown away, but simply ceasing to exist midair.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It might, but even if it did, if enough snow was falling, there would be a man shaped empty space in the falling snow, plus the invisible person is leaving tracks.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
what if pass without a trace was also active?
That would prevent the footprints, but the falling snow could still reveal the shape if it is a heavy enough snowfall. A light, sparse snow will not show the invisible person unless by sheer coincidence someone was watching the single piece of snow as it hits the person. I wouldn't even roll the odds of that are so low.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads