(IR) Announcing a New Strategic Roleplaying Campaign of Epic Proportions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Genie

First Post
I'd also be interested in giving this a try, although I would be drawn more to playing forces on the extreme. It's been a while since I picked up my Gazetteer, but here are some groups/countries I'd be interested in.

Iuz (Nothing says industrial revolution like mindless undead bent over assembly lines. It's Henry Ford's wet dream ;)

Celene (How do we keep them from chopping down our trees? The mechanically-minded races have pushed our backs against the wall. Now it's us or them. It's time to bring out the big guns.)

Scarlet Brotherhood (The first multinational?)

Dwarven/Gnome Union of Iron Hills Steel Workers (You call that a mechanical lathe? That human garbage isn't dwarf-forged, and has none of the ingenuity of our gnome clockworks!)

Xael

First Post
Epic? Empires? Taking over the world? I'm interested, though I know nothing about Greyhawk.

Lichtenhart

First Post
I cannot participate to this IR, but as a former IR player I can't help but wish you fun and glory. :)

Saying this I also subscribe to this thread. Quoting a character that I'm sure Serpenteyes appreciates a lot "We will watch your career with great interest." :]

Serpenteye

First Post
Knight Otu said:
That should be interesting... Now, where did I put my Greyhawk gazetteer?

Welcome Knight Otu, nice to see you again. :)

Blue_Genie said:
I'd also be interested in giving this a try, although I would be drawn more to playing forces on the extreme. It's been a while since I picked up my Gazetteer, but here are some groups/countries I'd be interested in.

Iuz (Nothing says industrial revolution like mindless undead bent over assembly lines. It's Henry Ford's wet dream ;)

Celene (How do we keep them from chopping down our trees? The mechanically-minded races have pushed our backs against the wall. Now it's us or them. It's time to bring out the big guns.)

Scarlet Brotherhood (The first multinational?)

Dwarven/Gnome Union of Iron Hills Steel Workers (You call that a mechanical lathe? That human garbage isn't dwarf-forged, and has none of the ingenuity of our gnome clockworks!)

Welcome, Blue_Genie :)

Either of those factions would be viable.

Iuz would get a special advantage from being a demigod in this setting since all planar communications have been cut off and divine casters can no longer recieve spells from their deities in the outer planes. (My solution to deal with the problem of assembly-line-resurrections and make the game a bit more lethal. What's the point of killing people if they don't stay dead? (It also fits into the story-line))
Iuz, as a Demigod would be able to grant his clerics 0 and 1st level spells. (lesser Gods could grant 0-4th, intermediate Gods 0-8th and greater gods 0-12th.) Even those lowly orisons and 1st level spells would somewhat reduce the casualty-rates of your armies by healing wounds that would otherwise become infected. Arcane spells are of course a lot more deadly, and their use is unrestricted by the planar isolation, but thir role is different.

Celene might be a bit weak on it's own, but there are other elven nations out there that could join into the same faction.

Technology... I won't say too much yet, but it's origins are a bit darker than mere human... You could even say that it's diabolic. (though technology in itself has no alignment)

Xael said:
Epic? Empires? Taking over the world? I'm interested, though I know nothing about Greyhawk.

Welcome Xael :), perhaps you would like to play a wizardly faction? The Circle of Eight will have a lot of fire-power, though not so much in the way of economical reasources. Or perhaps one of the big empires? The Great Kingdom, The Kevellond League, The Bakluni Empire and some of the exotic empires of the west are all going to be big, powerful, populous and vulnerable...

Lichtenhart said:
I cannot participate to this IR, but as a former IR player I can't help but wish you fun and glory. :)

Saying this I also subscribe to this thread. Quoting a character that I'm sure Serpenteyes appreciates a lot "We will watch your career with great interest." :]

I'm sorry to hear that Lichtenhart, and thanks, but I hope we'll give you a good read at least. And maybe your calendar will clear up a little. Were not starting until December.
I am unfamiliar with that quote, though I'm sure that when you tell me where it's from I'll slap myself in exasperation. ;)

--

To all:

I apologize for my current incoherency. The purpose of this thread is mostly to gauge your interest in the game and allow me to share some of my thoughts with you. Well before the game starts I will put together a comprehensive post where all the rules, background information and factions will be presented clearly and as succinctly as possible. Until then, please forgive my ramblings. I write them here not to intimidate you but to begin to prepare you for what is to come.

Btw, if any of you have a small amount of space available on your internet-site it would be a great place for me to put the maps we're going to need for this game. As the game pregresses and the borders change it would be very convenient for everyone if you could easily know the lay of the land simply by clicking on a link.

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
Serpenteye said:
I am unfamiliar with that quote, though I'm sure that when you tell me where it's from I'll slap myself in exasperation. ;)

It's what the newly elected Chancellor Palpatine says to the young Anakin Skywalker at the end of Star Wars Episode 1. ;)

Serpenteye

First Post
Here is a preliminary list of some of the playable countries. I will, in due time, set various ratings and levels for the different countries to reflect their populations, productivity, military power and so on:

Minor nations of the NW:
Suel Barbarians (Snow-, Ice- and Frost-barbarians and Ratik.) The Bone March (Mostly Orcs). The Theocracy of the Pale (Human). The tribes of the Griff Mountains and Raker Mountains (Humanoids and monsters of many kinds. The tribes of the Timberway Forest (Elves, Fey, Humanoids and Monsters of many kinds). Gamboge Forest (the same) The Troll Fens (Mostly Trolls). Phostwood (Tenha partisans, Undead, various Monsters). Fellreev Forest (anti-Iuz partisans, various Monsters)

The Great Kingdom:
(Mostly Humans)
(Northern Aerdy, United Kingdom of Ahlissa, Almor, Rel Astra, the Sea Barons.)

Minor nations of the SE:
Irongate (Dwarven, major city). Iron Hills (Dwarven). Sunndi (Human). Lendore Isles (Elven). Grandwood Forest (Elven, Fey, Human).

Scarlet Brotherhood:
(Suel Humans, Monsters.)
(Tilvanot Peninsula, Lordship of the Isles, The coast of Hepmonaland, Onwall, Idee, The Olman Islands, The coast of the Amedio Jungle, The Hold of The Sea Princes.

Greater Nyrond:
(Mostly Human)
(Nyrond, Almor, Flinty Hills (Dwarves, Gnomes), The Celadon Forest (Elves, Fey), The Duchy of Urnst, The County of Urnst.

Empire of Iuz:
(Undead, Goblinoid, Orc, Human, Demon)
Stonehold, The Empire of Iuz, Tenh, The Bandit Kingdoms.

The Kevellond League:
(Human, Halfling, Gnome, Elf, Dwarf)
The Shieldlands, The Kingdom of Furyondy, Veluna, Verbobonc, Dyvers, Bissel Gran March, the Kingdom of Keoland.

The Domain of Greyhawk*:
(Greyhawk (metropolis), Hardby, Cairn Hills, Gnarley Forest).
*Power behind the Throne: Eluvan.

The Empire of the Pomarj:
(Orc)

Celene:
(Elven)

The Lortmil Confederacy:
(The most powerful dwarven nation)
The Lortmil Mountains (Dwarf), The Lortmil Underdark (Dwarf), The Kron Hills (Gnome), The Lorridges (Human, Gnome, Dwarf), The Duchy of Ulek (Human, Dwarf), the County of Ulek (Human, Dwarf), The Principality of Ulek (Human, Dwarf).

Minor Nations and Regions of the SW:
Dreadwood (Monsters, Goblinoids). The Yeomanry (Human). Sterich (Human). Geoff (Humans under Giant rule). The Crystalmists Mountains (Humanoids, Giants, Monsters) The Crystalmists Underdark (Drow). The Joten Mountains (Giants). The Hellfurnaces (Humanoid, Gaints, Monsters). The Hellfurnaces Underdark (Drow, Formians). The Valley of the Mage (Powerful Wizard and his slaves).

Minor Nations and Regions of the NW:
Ket (Bakluni Humans), The Yatil Mountains (Giants, Dragons, Humanoids, Monsters). Tusman Hills (Bakluni Humans). Highfolk (Elves). Vesve Forest (Elves, Treants, Fey, Monsters). Perrenland (Human). Wolf Nomads (Human). Tiger Nomads (Human). Burneal Forest (Quaggoth, Monsters). Cold Marshes (Undead). Blackmoor (Undead, Human). Land of Black Ice (Unknown)

The Bakluni Empire:
(Bakluni Humans)
(The Zultanate of Zeif, The Caliphate of Ekbir, Tusmit, Udgru Forest, The Plains of the Paynims, Ull.

--
The Nations of the West:

Skip Williams said:
Barbarian Seameast: A windswept land covered with primeval forests where fiery but convivial tribesmen dwell.
Celestial Imperium: A vast nation peopled with a hard-working peasantry ruled by a complex bureaucracy.
Dragons Island: Tales from the Celestial Imperium speak of a land ruled by a dragon prince. If such a place exists, it probably lies here.
Elvanian Forest: An enclave of lofty trees clinging to foothills rising from the desert below. Elves and other wild sylvan races dwell here.
Elven Lands: It seems that eleven seafarers crossed to (the? RH) Solnor Ocean millennia ago and established a kingdom upon this peninsula.
Empire of Lynn: A sea of burning sands fill most of Oerik's western end. The fabled city of Lynn, perhaps settled by seafarers from the Flanaess, has grown rich from coastal trade and the desert's mineral wealth.
Erypt: An arid land ruled by a dynasty of priest kings.
Fireland: A land not unlike the Hellfurnaces region of the Flanaess. Volcanoes and geysers sprout amid glaciers. A hardy folk dwells among the coastal fjords.
Gigantea: A land populated by giants, or so I've heard tell.
High Khanate: An and land peopled by two tribes of sturdy nomads. The inlanders resemble the horsemen of the Balkanish (Baklunish? RH) Basin, but on the coast they take to boats.
Hyperboria: My own name for an icy continent whose interior holds Oerth's north pole and secrets even I have not fathomed. A semi-permanent bridge of ice connects the land to Oerik proper, but the crossing is treacherous at best.
lshtarland: A land watered by southern storms and at least two great rivers. The city of Ishtar vies with the merchants of Lynn and the warlords of Tharquish for control of coastal trade.
Kingdoms of the Marches: A temperate land filled with princely states. Perhaps another locale colonized by seafarers from across the Solnor.
Low Khanate: A companion realm to the High Khanate; named more for its location in a deep vale below the mountains than for any inferior status. A hidden valley reputedly contains the tombs of khans from both realms.
Nippon: A densely populated island nation of fishermen, warriors, and poets. Unsure of the place's real name.
Nippon Dominion: A protectorate only recently conquered by the warriors of Nippon.
Orcreich: A nation of orcs ruled by a tyrannical king. The orcs seem to thrive under the brutal regime.
Polaria: Not a land mass at all, but a collection of islands locked in a semi-permanent ice cap.
Red Kingdom: This land is so named for the color of its rocks. It's inhabitants remain unknown to me.
Suel Empire: You know this area as the Sea of Dust. Tales of its former glory is known to you.
Tarquis Dominions: An ancient protectorate of the Tharquish Empire.
Tharquish Empire: An island nation of seafarers who have ambitions that extend to the neighboring continents.
The Tribes of Enllaves: A land of proud desert nomads who eke out a living on a high plateau that escapes the worst heat of the sand sea. A few tribes-men live in mud-brick towns built around central squares that contain steep-sided pyramids. I have never learned whether the pyramids serve as monuments, tombs, temples, or something else altogether.
Wall of Tsian: A massive fortification separating the Celestial Imperium from Orcreich, a formidable deterrent to anyone but the king of Orcreich. The Imperium has begun another, even grander wall farther west.
Zindia: A tropical land where rich cities rise from steaming jungles.
Celestial Sea: A warm shallow gulf where merchants from Erypt and the Imperium ply their trades.
Gulf of Ishtar: The privateers of Tharquish and the fleets of Ishtar vie for control here.
Gulf of Ra: A deep body reputed to hide a kingdom of sahuagin.
Jothunheim Sea: A frigid body of water littered with icebergs. Giants ply the waters in great drakkars.
Mare Mysticum: A mystery to me.
Ocean of Storms: A region of gray sea lashed by endless tempests.
Oceanum Titanicum: The eastern-most extent of what you know as the Solnor ocean.
Pearl Sea: So named for the rich pearl beds found on Nippon's eastern shores.
Sea of Hyperboria: An ice-choked stretch of deep water where the coastal tribesmen of the High Khanate hunt and fish from hide boats.
Sea of Nippon: A body of water made infamous by freak storms and enormous sea monsters - if the tales prove true.
Sea of the Dragon King: A deep arm of the pearl sea noted for its cobalt blue waters and teeming coral reefs.
Sea of Thunder: A smaller, but no less violent, companion to the Sea of Storms.

Organizations not primarily based on a specific location:

The Circle of Eight:
(A powerful group of Neutral high level Wizards)

The Black Brotherhood:
(An undercover organization inflitrating the Scarlet Brotherhood, seeking to bring about an apocalypse)

Various Churches:
(Though they have lost all their spellcasting-ability many clergies still hold considerable power over the peoples of Oerth)

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
It's what the newly elected Chancellor Palpatine says to the young Anakin Skywalker at the end of Star Wars Episode 1. ;)

Ah. Palpatine, the soon-to be-Emperor who would mismanage his Empire disastrously and drive it into rebellion against himself. Not a good role-model at all ;).

Serpenteye

First Post
In this post I give you some of the background behind the events of the revolution.

We know a little of how the planes work. The Great Wheel. The Inner Planes. The Outer Planes. The Outlands. The Prime Material Plane. We know that when a being dies their soul travels to the plane of it's alignment and there it gains life again in a new form. We know that when that new form eventually dies its energies join the plane it lived on. Those energies strengthen the plane and as the plane grows stronger the power of the alignment it represents grows stronger. We know that the Multiverse if infinite, that every true plane in the Multiverse is infinite and that every level of such a plane is also infinite. But we also know that all planes have a finite amount of levels. All planes but one.

We have some knowledge about the inhabitants of the different planes. We know that some planes are populated by radiant beings of Good and others of perverse hordes of Evil.
We know that the beings of Good are happy, content, complacent. They live long, peaceful, perfect lives and they have no desires, no wants.
The beings of Evil, on the other hand, live short and brutal lives filled with pain and greed. They strive desperately to improve their lot, they have to to survive. Their need, their percieved need, is greater than any other beings. And need is the mother of invention.

Need is the mother of invention, but organization is the mother of industry. Life in the Abyss is too changeable, too chaotic and dangerous for long term investments. Demons, in general, are too impatient to do anything that does not give them immediate advantages. Only the most powerful of demons have that luxury. Though the hordes of the Abyss are by far more numerous than those of any other plane, though most of the beings in the Multiverse are Demons, only a very few Demons could ever become inventors. No, The Abyss is not the birthplace of Industrialization.

The Devils, on the other hand, have patience. They are the masters of organization. They have vast resources, brilliant minds and obedient workers. Their lives are also filled with greed and pain, they also constantly strive for advantage, but they live infinitely safer lives than their cousins in the Abyss. They have a system and they work their ambitions within the rules of the system. They are not the most creative of thinkers, but when they see an advantage they will take it and they are constantly looking for advantages.

A mere century ago one of the great Pit Fiends in the court of Mephistopheles had an epiphany while watching a slave being boiled in water. A vision of a beautiful machine of steam and fire, of moving cogs and gears spinning and grinding with untiring strength and power. Of great buildings filled with such machines driving great belts around to carry the pieces of more machines to the stations of a million chained slaves. A vision of eternal monotonous torment and perfect flawless efficiency. A vision of himself ascending, infinitely wealthy and powerful, to rule an entire level of Hell and then cleansing the entire Multiverse with the power of his machines.
The idea ripened and he left the court and returned to his vast estates where he begun his slow and methodical work. Years passed, mere moments in his life of countless millennia, and the inventions followed each others faster and faster. Once he understood the underlying principles it was all rather simple. When he encountered problems he solved them and every time his knowledge and skill increased. Soon he had his factories and mines, with machines and slaves and efficient massproduction, and then his mind turned back to the machines of war. Before long he had even greater factories, even more slaves and wealth, and now great monstrous machines, armed and armoured, rolled off the assembly-lines. He began to set the second phase of his plan into motion when something completely unexpected happened.

Xael

First Post
Serpenteye said:
Welcome Xael :), perhaps you would like to play a wizardly faction? The Circle of Eight will have a lot of fire-power, though not so much in the way of economical reasources.
How did you guess? :p The faction list doesn't tell me much, but as you guessed, I'm interested in some mainly magical factions. Will have to take a closer look at that list and the 3RD IR.

Serpenteye

First Post
Xael said:
How did you guess? :p The faction list doesn't tell me much, but as you guessed, I'm interested in some mainly magical factions. Will have to take a closer look at that list and the 3RD IR.

I've never seen you play anything else, that's how :p.

The faction list will tell you more, all in due time. I'm still working on the mechanics of the rules and I can't set any power-levels until I know just what kind of PL's I will use.
I will tell you that strategic mobility and concentrated magical fire-power will be quite deadly in combat, but that you as the Cicle of Eight will have to be rather active politically and militarily to be able to keep your initial advantage before more populous factions catch up with you.

--
Btw. We will not use the Epic Spellcasting rules. In this kind of game it would be absurdly unbalancing because of the way mitigating the cost of epic spells work. It would be very easy for any of the bigger factions to scrape together a few thousand low-level spellcasters to help a 21st level Wizard cast a spell to destroy the planet... Planet-destruction belongs in the end of the game, naturally. And there will be other ways to do that, all in due time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads