(IR) IR Interlude Turn 5 - Turn 6 (thread 2)

Mr. Draco

First Post
Edena, one more question...

Regarding the next turn, if it lasts for 10 threads, does that count as one month worth of armsraces even if it is one year IC?

SECRET!

To Edena[Color=222222]

We will drop that quest to look for an artifact that controls constructs, instead, we will search for a different artifact, which i'll email to you about shortly. Hellmaster Phibrizzo himself will attempt to gain 10 levels worth of experience, and he will gain this by defeating lawful creatures on various planes, making sure he won't cause suspicion or any aggression in doing so. If this is possible I will tell you what class I intend to take levels in.[/color]

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Rulings and Comments

With both William and Kaboom gone for a week, it is well to not begin Turn 6 in any case.
And again, William deserves respect and courtesy for the pain he is experiencing.

This does not mean the Interlude cannot continue, with roleplaying.
We will continue the Interlude, until as such times Kaboom and William rejoin us.

- - -

Because Turn 6 is going to last an entire year, and due to questions above, a few changes in the Arms Race:

The Technological Arms Race does not change
The Magical Arms Race does not change

- - -

However, the Planar Arms Race does. Your PL gain will be multiplied by 12.
For most people, this will mean a gain of 36 PL, instead of 3.
For shared Powers, this means a gain of 72 PL.

- - -

The Monster Arms Race is also at x 12.
For those gaining 3 PL per Turn, this means a gain of 36 PL.
For those gaining 6 PL per Turn, this means a gain of 72 PL.
For those gaining 12 PL per Turn, this means a gain of 144 PL.

Concerning the Monster Arms Race, anyone with a clever idea for making new monsters is likely to have a jump in their base rate of advancement in this Race.
If this clever idea occurs before the middle of the Turn (Turn 6) the increase will be during the Turn, and the final result will be multiplied by 12.

For example, Kaboom invented his Splitting Bats in the middle of Turn 5.
This increased his rate of advancement to 12, from 3.
Had Turn 5 lasted a year, he would haved gaine 144 PL.

So, by all means, be creative about what ideas you come up with for new monsters.

Remember that your technological level is about that of early World War II.
As a result, cyborgs and other futuristic beings aren't possible yet, for most of the Powers.

- - -

The Construct Arms Race also multiplies by x 12, so everyone will gain 24 PL during Turn 6.

- - -

Unfortunately for all of you except Maudlin (it is very fortunate for him,) the Undead Arms Race also multiplies by x 12.

As a result, Maudlin will gain 240 PL (12 x his base of 20 PL) in new undead, attack/defense 6/6, at the beginning of Turn 7, in addition to his 400 PL of regular undead that he will receive.
If someone states they are resuming the Undead Arms Race (like Melkor, in order to help Maudlin), they will get their usual 3 PL, but it becomes 36 PL for the x 12, and it all goes to Maudlin since Acererak has achieved Apotheosis.

Thus, if all of you were to decide to help Maudlin ... Since there are 24 of you, each would create 3 PL in undead, and that would be 72 PL in undead.
Multiplied by 12, that would be 744 PL in undead, and it would all go to Mauldin.

I do believe Maudlin would very much appreciate such help.

Kalanyr

Explorer
The Drow,Humanoid and Yuan-ti as well as Human (formerly undead) preachers continue to spread the words of hope,non-violence and freedom, of the Gods (Kalanyr,Eilistraee and the Power of Freedom) and work miracles of healing and hope (blessing a welll or making the harvests grow more rapidly)wherever they pass and also doing the traditional hunt naked by moonlight of evil creatures.

Edena-Can Melkor enhance the Dictum to make it capable of piercing 10th level defenses or must Anabstericon achieve 10th magic himself to do this?

Kalanyr

Explorer
Edena- My sig is my YB/Fight Club character not the Kalanyr of the IR the Kalanyr of the IR's titles are back on page 2. I'll post them here once I dig them up.

Titles:- Kalanyr the Redeemer,Master of Blades,Guardian of Souls,Servant of Eilistraee and Champion of Freedom.

And I should have 24 Solar HD from my battles with Tharzidun and Demogorgon.

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Some answers and comments on the Posts

Kalanyr's new title(s)- Kalanyr the Redeemer,Guardian of Souls,Servant of Ellisterae and Champion of Freedom.
And those 4 levels I picked up beating on Demogorgon and in the battle with Tharzidun go in to 4HD of Solar.

ANSWER:

I just read this. I'll update Kalanyr the PC on the Lists Post.

Spoof

(since your post was secret, Spoof, I will just give yes, no, or noted answers)

The Clones: Noted
The Pocket Dimensions: Noted

Congratulations to your wife! Cheers. I hope everything comes out well.
Health and happiness to you, your wife and your new child.

- - -

Forsaken One

And Alzem, what are we going to do with the staff.....? Are you going to attempt our plan of has edena already ruled on them?

ANSWER:

I have ruled on the Staff.
The True Staff of Ancient Penumbra was given by Alzem to Forrester, and taken to Realmspace.
Since scrying into Realmspace is not possible, the fate of the Staff is unknown.

Spoof

(again, here are yes, no, or noted answers to secret questions)

The Mythal: No (but yes to the second question concerning the people)

Pocket Dimension: Yes. It's a shame this question was asked in secret, for I have an explanation for a tactic you could use that people would find interesting.

- - -

Anabstercorian

(Again, here are yes, no, or noted answers to secret questions)

The Staff: Noted, and thank you for the information, which is important.
Artifacts: Noted. You are making progress.
Bytopia: Noted.
Mythal: Yes
New Umbra: Yes, and noted

- - -

LordMelkor{Talos}

Few questions to Edena:

Can a power with 10th level magic throw nuclear weapons at power that uses 10th level protections?

ANSWER:

Now, here is one of those places I don't think anyone has gone to before.
Here's my take on the situation:

10th level magic can be used in conjunction with a nuclear attack to punch a hole through 10th level defenses (such as a Mythal.)
Thus, the nuclear attack gets through.

10th level magic can be used as an effective defense against any nuclear attack made by a Power armed only with 9th level magic or less.

In the case of a Power with 10th level magic and nuclear weapons (Melkor) attacking a Power with 10th level magic (Kalanyr, and any allies he tries to protect with 10th level magic), it is a matter of a case by case call.

In other words, you have a difficult job to do.
You must consider what the limitations of 10th level magic are (there are limitations) and try to imagine what you can do within those limitations.
Once you have decided on what you wish to try, what you have thought up, you must tell me.

This applies to both the attacker (Melkor) and the defender (Kalanyr), in this case.

Where imagination and cleverness clashes with imagination and cleverness, I must take a look and rule on who is the winner, in that particular case.
If Melkor wins, the nuclear attack gets through.
If he loses, it does not get through.

If Kalanyr and Melkor both had nuclear weapons, and 10th level magic (which they will soon enough) then I am going to have to make a lot of rulings!

10th level magic was not sufficiently explored by TSR.
As a result, I request that those Powers with 10th level magic try it out; explore it's limits, and see what it can and cannot do.

Don't ask me questions as to whether it will work.
Try it out, and see if it will work.
Experiment. Investigate. It's your new and powerful tool and weapon. Use it and learn all about it.

Only in so doing will you (and I will learn in the process too) learn it's limitations, and it's abilities!

Actually Shade are developing nuclear powered Negative/ Shadow Energy Accumulators, can we use it as equivalent of nuclear weapons?

ANSWER:

You could create a Negative Energy Nuclear Explosion, by using 10th level magic to modify a regular nuclear bomb.
The effects of such an explosion, you don't know yet because you haven't tested a bomb of this type.

What is rough pl of Lloth`s planar armies?

ANSWER:

That is a good question.
I do not have the answer.

Was Anabstecorian succesful in convincing Ililthidi fleet to join him?

ANSWER:

They are effectively his allies whether he wants them as allies, or does not want them as allies.
However, you speak of an assembled Fleet. They are not fully assembled yet.
A Fleet of the size being assembled takes time, and the Illithid know Greyspace isn't going anywhere.
Revenge is a dish best served cold, state the Illithid.

If the True Staff of Ancient Penumbra were given back to Anabstercorian, this Fleet would disband.

How big is it? How much PL does it have?
Nobody knows yet.
Forrester's Seers estimate it to be at 200 PL now, but it's rapidly growing.

- - -

Darkness

I'm still a bit confused regarding templates and the effect of high-level magic on advancing civilization.

ANSWER:

Remember this about Templates, and you can't go wrong:
PL for the Magical Arms Race.
PL for Advancing Your Civilization.
Who you share Technology with.
All unspent PL, becomes armies.

Specifically, the points I am unclear on are:

1. What should the templates for turn 6 look like?

ANSWER:

Same as before, Darkness. No change for your Power.

2. You said that 11th-level magic cuts the costs for advancing civilization by half. So 10th-level magic doesn't have any effect on this? Also, Alzem and Forrester already have 11th-level magic?!

ANSWER: 11th level magic halves the cost, so Alzem and Forrester pay half.
However, as I explained in my long article, step by step, Forrester and Alzem must pay 16,000 PL to advance 10 years, whereas you only must pay 30 PL.
10th level magic has no effect on Advancing Your Civilization.
11th level magic does because with 11th level magic you can alter fundamental realities.

And lastly, is the starting time for turn 6 already known?

ANSWER:

William is in a traumatic situation right now, and cannot post.
Kaboom is offline for a week.

I am delaying the start of Turn 6 until both return.

However, the roleplaying aspect of the IR can continue as usual.
I will provide more IR Interlude threads as needed for this.

- - -

Anabstercorian

OPEN POST RE: 11th Level Magic

Forrester and Alzem, as well as all other Torilian forces, have access to 11th level magic - But only on Toril. On Oerth, they must research it as normal. At the moment, I believe that Forrester is the only Torilian force that can use 10th level magic on Oerth.

ANSWER:

Alzem, Kalanyr, Maudlin, and Melkor can now all use 10th level magic, starting on Turn 6.

Remember that researching 11th level magic is very costly.
You lose 4 PL permanently for every 10 PL spent in this research.

I have not yet attempted to Moderate the effects of 11th level magic.
I am going to be moderating the effects of mass use of 10th level magic, and that will be difficult enough.

- - -

Darkness

Ah! Now I get it. Thanks, Anabstercorian!

ANSWER: Thank you for helping Darkness, Anabstercorian. :)

- - -

creamsteak

Sollir, I will send you an email, but we must decide which planars to summon. Edena's post about this subject is at the end of the lists post.

My opinion is that we both continue to summon Chromatic and Metallic Dragons (as we have been for a while now...) and we also begin to summon some kind of lawful race (as I believe the lawful may be more willing to follow orders than their chaotic or neutral counterparts.

ANSWER:

You cannot summon both Metallic and Chromatic Dragons. They would attack and destroy each other.
You can summon Metallic Dragons and Gem Dragons, or Gem Dragons and Chromatic Dragons.

- - -

The Forsaken One

Roflol (SECRET Anab's knowledge only)

ANSWER: (chuckles) I'm sure we will all learn this secret, the hard way, soon enough.

Anabstercorian, Vaeregoth sends Zazz to the Godsspires and he will start emmitting a telepathic call to you. He asks to have a chat with you and if interesting Vaeregoth will come herself to continue the conversation between worthy people.

(Zazz = a Illithid NPC of mine, he is PL 4, Edena I take that when you read this you will add him to the list. The 4 PL you must take from my Illithid spelljamming fleet. 58 PL in Illithid spelljammer would become 4PL NPC + 54 PL Illithid spelljammers).

ANSWER:

Allowed. I will add Zazz to the NPC roster, and deduct 4 PL from the Illithid Fleet.

NOTICE TO THE CURIOUS AND TO FORSAKEN ONE:

Your Formians have been busy in the Underdark.
They run into four noticeable roadblocks.

They cannot approach within 100 miles of Riftcrag.
They run into a solid wall 100 miles out, of unknown thickness, height, and width - but they cannot penetrate it.
They cannot penetrate it even with Red Goo.

Forsaken One, your formians you send to scout out the Underdark below the Union of Oerth never return.
One moment, you are in communication with them, and they state everything is normal.
The next moment, the communication is cut off, and cannot be reestablished.

Also, Forsaken One, whenever any of your Formians try to enter any part of Black Omega's territory, they are shunted away by Faerie Magic.
If they persist in pushing into the Underdark underneath Black Omega's territory, the warnings become sharper and more injurious.
If those warnings are not heeded, the next warnings are of the lethal kind.

Your Formians in the Godspires, run straight into the force sent there by Tokiwong.
And both forces from straight into the force sent into the Godspires by Creamsteak and Sollir.
Whether this ends peacefully, or turns into a war, is up to you - but based on Forsaken One's statements, I am guessing it's going to be war.

- - -

Anabstercorian

OPEN POST Re: Zazz

<< Anabstercorian! We are the Hive. I am Zazz. I call you in the name of Vaegroth, Proxy of the Scion Queen! >>
<< You've been yelling that for a last six hours, Zazz, you can shut the hell up, now. >>

Zazz whirled around to see Anabstercorian standing there in all his glory, ectoplasmic platemail covering his body like dreamstuff, the crown of Ilsensine sweeping back across his forehead.

Zazz bowed respectfully. << Greetings, oh mighty >> and here he used the thought pattern that was Anabstercorian's true name. << I have come to greet you in the name of the Hive.>>

Anabstercorian glared, then raised an eyebrow. << You serve the Hive? >> He shook his head. << You are foolish indeed to turn away from the true path of our people, Zazz. >>

Zazz smiled, in the way Illithids do. << Perhaps. Perhaps. I have found great satisfaction in the way of the Hive. There is great discipline there. >>

<< Discipline comes from the Illithid, Zazz, not from the Hive. It is not the way of our people to serve any but Ilsensine. You know this. Or have you not only lost your respect, but also your mind? >>

Zazz chuckled. << Is this all you have to say? Insults to the Hive? >>

Anabstercorian stepped forward, pointing his finger at Zazz. << Silence! I have more to say.>>

There was a moment of quiet.

<< Tell my people, the ones that you are leading in to servitude, that I will lead them in to glory! Tell my people that Anabstercorian is the Chosen of Ilsensine, and all who would respect his all-knowing Will must turn their alliance from the Queen to ME. I can bring them worlds, Zazz. I can bring them Penumbra arisen. Once more the stars will belong to the Illithid, and no more shall we huddle beneath the surface of the myriad worlds in terror of the creatures we once commanded. >>

He spat, a tiny globule of black ichor that stuck to the ground. << All you can bring them is sacrilige, idiocy, and submission. Now go. Tell Vaegroth that if he desires to speak with me, I can be found here for one hour, and not a second longer. >>

He turned his back on Zazz.

ANSWER AND COMMENT:

The Illithid run by Forsaken One (that is, the Illithid Fleet of Greyspace) react to this.
Some are insulted, and believe Anabstercorian is a rogue with bad manners.
Some are pleased, thinking they should have been following Anabstercorian all along.
The majority of the Illithid Fleet wonders if this is going to mean war between them and their own kind??

Whether it means anything such, is up to Forsaken One.

- - -

'o Skoteinos

Need Ruling on a spell

With some ultraheigh level mages, it would be possible to do the following:
Take a Rogue 20, a Druid 20 (with Shifter levels and Multi Attack and Multi Dexterity feats), a Wiz 24 or higher and a Fighter 20 and a huge number of peasants. All in the mix with Gestalt (BoEM2) and I have an Ancient Gold Wyrm (or the biggest kind of dragon I can become as Shifter), being an Abberation with fighter BAB, who can attack with *each* of his limbs (2 from the Rogue, 2 from the Fighter, 2 from the Wizard and 2 times the number of peasants) with Sneak Attack damage (from being Improved Invisible). let's say I take 17 Peasants, that'd be: 4 attack of the Fighter, 40 attacks of the additional limps, and probably the Dragons' natural attacks too!
That will work.

ANSWER: Yes, it will. You can create composite creatures this way. They won't necessarily look very good, but the effect works quite well.

The ruling is the following. I add a Persistent Duplicate (the spell I've been calling "Two Bodies". The correct name is Duplicate). The spell basically says that it copies the creature (exact duplicate), but none of the lingering spell effects are transferred to the Duplicate.
Also, if the 'original' dies, the Duplicate becomes the real 'person' and you lose 2d4 * 1000
XP. What happens in the following scenario:

1) The complete creature is Duplicated.

ANSWER: You have a new composite creature. There is no limit on how many duplicates of the composite creature you can make, as long as you have the spell Two Bodies to cast.

2) The complete creature is Duplicated, then 'falls apart' into all the different people (thus having 21 people from the example).

ANSWER: It falls apart, and everyone who formed it is restored to their original selves, unharmed. Or, if the composite creature was harmed, they are all slightly harmed.

3) The only thing to be Duplicated is the caster, even though he is part of something bigger and does no longer excist for the purpose of this spell.

ANSWER: It works normally.

When 1:
What happens if the spell runs out (Gestalt = 1 minute / level)? Will the spell run out on the Duplicate too?

ANSWER: Basically, yes ... the duplicate will revert to it's composite beings.
However, if you throw Permanency on the Duplicate composite creature, it will remain in existence for good, unless broken down into it's composite beings by a Mordenkainen's Disjunction or 10th level magic.

When 2:
What happens if I attack with the original creature, who is then slain? Will all the people go back to their own body? Does everyone lose 2d4x1000 XP, or does the "Gestalt" lose 2d4x1000 XP, distributed evenly among the participants?

ANSWER: If the original composite is slain, all the beings that made it up are killed.
Nobody but the caster loses any experience, but everyone must be resurrected.

When 3:
What happens if the original is slain? Do all the souls go to the caster of the Duplicate spell, or does only the caster live on, while all the others die?

If the original is slain, everyone that made it up is killed, and their souls travel to the afterlife.
The caster is killed also.
Everyone can be resurrected.

To the best of my understanding of your intentions, and my understanding of 3E mechanics, those are my rulings.

Here is another ruling:

The creation of Composite Creatures, then duplicating them, increases the PL of any Power doing it, in the Monster Arms Race, if permanency is used to make the Duplicates permanent.
This increase is 3 PL per Turn (or 36 PL for Turn 6.)

***New Research***

I'm starting research on a Gestalt spell with some differences:

Duration: From 1 minute / level to Instantaneous.
Save: None
SR: None
Special: Subjects must be willing.
Special: The creature with the highest intelligence will be able to shift control each round
(he is in control, but can assign control to others on a round to round basis).
Special: You *don't* gain the Two Weapon Fighting and the Ambidexterity feats that you normally gain when you cast the spell.

ANSWER:

If this spell is meant so that one mind can control the composite creatures and their duplicates, it works fine.
The mind controlling the duplicate gains ALL of it's own abilities and powers, and it can use ALL of the abilities and powers of ALL of the beings in the composite.
This could lead to some ghastly combinations (such as a single mind understanding archmagery, super-psionics, champion swordsmanship, the greatest of rogue abilities, and all the secrets of monks, not to mention the inherent viewpoints of assorted monsters, all at once. A Lesser Restoration spell is going to be needed to be cast one time per mind that will be controlling the composite, to keep those minds sane.)

- - -

creamsteak

At the end of the Lists post, Edena stated that the Moderator will be gone for two days...
I wouldn't let the board pile up too much, it would just increase that two days without an up to date moderator to four days.
I won't ask any questions at all for these two days, but I will post answers to questions Edena asked of me...
I think this sounds reasonable...

ANSWER:

Thank you, Creamsteak.
I came online casually, tonight, and saw the questions above, so I answered them.
I won't be online, however, today or tomorrow, so I wouldn't ask questions of an absent Moderator!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases