• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad goes to Greyhawk

I haven't played it, yet, but it looks like the general populace (especially the merchants) will protest/riot over increased taxes in the city that's the hub of my current campaign.

HelloChristian

First Post
The Speaker in Dreams module set up a potential power vacuum and lots of civil unrest. Even though the module stated that the characters shouldn't kill the charmed Baron, it was hard not to. Our party wasted the Baron and refused to hand over control of the town until his sister could demonstrate that she had a handle on Brindenford. We lost too many good characters to step down so easily.

Dr. Rock

First Post
IIRC, B6 The Veiled Society had a riot as an encounter in Specularum in the course of the adventure. I'd look it up, but sadly, I no longer have that module.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Plenty of Revolution to go around in Paizo's new Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting, that's for sure.

As for protests, isn't there one in Shackled City at the beginning of Zenith Trajectory?

--Erik

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
On a serious note, I've had a civil war in my game, but I'm not sure if it counts as a protest or not.
Where there hordes of 1st level commoners who picked up a pitchfork or a spear to defend their home? Did the players have to choose between what was most expedient (killing the hores of 1st level comoners) and what was right (knocking out the 1st level commoners)? Would the population as a whole have mixed feelings or look very unfavorable upon your party if you had killed oodles of 1st level commoners?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
As for protests, isn't there one in Shackled City at the beginning of Zenith Trajectory?

--Erik
I believe you're thinking of "The Demonskar Legacy", where the players are introduced to the leader of the Chisel during a riot in front of the town hall.

Actually, there's a lot of opportunities for riots and public unrest in the Shackled City AP. Although mostly it's commoners being beaten on by otherworldly threats while the party has to try to save them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
dmccoy1693 said:
Where there hordes of 1st level commoners who picked up a pitchfork or a spear to defend their home? Did the players have to choose between what was most expedient (killing the hores of 1st level comoners) and what was right (knocking out the 1st level commoners)? Would the population as a whole have mixed feelings or look very unfavorable upon your party if you had killed oodles of 1st level commoners?
If they're smart, they just summoned a bunch of house cats and let them do the dirty work.

shilsen

Adventurer
I've had that happen while DMing, and a couple of sessions ago in Mallus' CITY game (see my sig) we had to deal with a situation where a bunch of rioters were trying to practice ethnic cleansing of foreigners in the area. Our PCs, being a very long away from heroes, dispelled the riot by blasting the people inciting it and killing a few scores of commoners.

Festivus

First Post
I have done this a time or two. In ptolus it's really easy to dropa scenario like this into the game since it's tolerant of evil temples, who obtain permits to have parades... which everyone else seems to hate. I have also had the local population in disagreement with those in power... and the party is on the side of those in power. Fun stuff getting eggs and tomatoes thrown at the "heroes" as they walk the city streets.

Grand_Director

Explorer
Lazybones said:
I believe you're thinking of "The Demonskar Legacy", where the players are introduced to the leader of the Chisel during a riot in front of the town hall.

Actually, there's a lot of opportunities for riots and public unrest in the Shackled City AP. Although mostly it's commoners being beaten on by otherworldly threats while the party has to try to save them.

There are also looters in Foundation of Flame. One of my players was feeling particularly frustrated with the situation and launched a fireball into the crowd. The paladin took offense and turned on the character. I started to get nervous but they handled it well and it made some interesting role playing that night. It also lead to some heady discussions afterward as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads