IRON DM 2017 Tournament

Slit518

Adventurer
Yeah, I may not of been clear enough on the Withered Husk. It was referring to the Kingdom, and how it was a shell of it's former self, not the actual plan she had.

When I was writing the adventure I was actually imagining all the cool roleplay potential it could have. The combat I highlighted because I felt that could/would be the only necessary combat in the whole adventure.

Rune

Once A Fool
By the way, the pros all look up every word in an ingredient, and then every combination. Hidden definitions can often inspire unforeseen uses and get you thinking along new paths. Or give you some foundation to hang a theme on.

Of course, sometimes this happens by accident. Other judges might care if it is intentional or not, but I personally don't. If it's in the text, that's good enough for me.

Slit518

Adventurer
I always try to let the last year's contestants know, so don't worry; you're on the list! (Also, told ya so!) :p

Back when I was on the Midway Mortal Kombat forums years-and-years ago, they used to do this tournament.

It was a bracket similar to this, with 3 judges.

My first time playing I wound up winning the tournament, and my last match was against the previous year's champion.

It was a good time.

We were each a Mortal Kombat character fighting their other Mortal Kombat character.

So for Example I was Nightwolf and somebody else might be Jade.

We would write a scenario of us encountering each other, how the fight would go, etc...

It was 3 rounds a piece, each round was 24 hours.

I don't think there was a word limit though, nor an ingredient list.

But, we kept things reasonable.

And you could only kill your opponent if you won the overall match against them.

So this kind of gave me the chance to relive that a bit.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Forsaken Avatar
Ruined Vassal
Twisting Tunnel
Goblin Tribe
Chaos
Mundane Quest

Title: A Simple Vermin Hunt

Low-level DnD Adventure

Mrs. Addal is an old lady who runs a bread and breakfast just outside of a peaceful town. Unfortunately, she has had to close down recently due to an infestation of large vermin in her basement, and because she has little to offer in the way of reward, she can't hire anyone to come out to help. Meanwhile well-known adventuring parties and the local guard sees her plight as below them. One of the party members is approached to assist in this quest, either because of a personal connection or because the party can't get any other work and decide to accept the pocket change as a meager means of eating hot food for one more meal.

When the party arrives, they find that Mrs. Addal wasn't exaggerating. In fact the situation is even worse, as the creatures (rats or insects) are not only giant in size, but also show varied and twisted signs of mutation from the chaos school of magic. Once the basement is cleared, the party will also find that the vermin had broken through a wall and there are further passages below. The vermin actually belong to a subterranean cattle farm and are a source of sustenance for a tribe of goblins, a segment of which have been unknowingly exploring a lengthy series of underground caves below the local town and Mrs. Addal's residence.

Deekon, a subchief of the tribe, is the one who caused the recent troubles. He was once second only to the chief, until his team of goblins broke into some dwarven tunnels, abandoned by an ancient clan for seemingly no good reason. The goblins thought they had an extraordinary bout of good luck, since they could move parts of their tribe in without having to fight for territory, while gaining some valuable treasure strangely left behind.

They ended up bringing back several cursed items from the vault that was found there. The magic released from these items started mutating and growing the smaller creatures first, such as the vermin in the goblin's cattle farms. The goblin tribe is now dealing with a crisis of their own making, and Deekon has been ordered to return the items to the vault or not bother to return at all. The mutated vermin have been following his team, with Mrs. Addal's place being in between the tribe's home and the vault.

Deekon isn't just willing to return the items and simply return home. He knows that he has fallen out of favor and won't likely return to his past status. But he also knows about one treasure that was left behind. One small clay statuette that exuded an aura so disturbing, he had left it behind. The statuette is the accursed avatar of a diminished god of chaos, and it is the source of the chaotic magic warping creatures in this area. If it were to be destroyed, the other cursed items would lose their abilities. Of course, the avatar would use its remaining power to protect itself, as it did against the previous dwarven clan once they finally realized what the item of conquest was that they had brought into their home. But Deekon doesn't want to destroy the avatar. He wants to use it to take over his tribe.

By the time the party catches up to Deekon and his crew, they are completing the final leg of the journey before the dwarven interior and vaults. The outskirts of the dwarven territory led from the the outer mines and to the furnaces inside. These two areas were connected by a twisting tunnel that went around the richer portions of mineral ore. Rail carts were used to quickly transport ore and other materials back and forth. Deekon and his team board a couple of carts just as the party arrives. In order to stop them from reaching the interior first, the party will have to give chase on carts of their own. If they fail to stop him, they'll have both Deekon's team and the clay avatar to contend with at the same time. At this point, Deekon's constant exposure to the chaos magic will also mutate him, creating another problem for which the party will have to deal.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Forsaken Avatar
Ruined Vassal
Twisting Tunnel
Goblin Tribe
Chaos
Mundane Quest

Modern Limbo

For the 6th World (Shadowrun)

Synopsis:

Under one of Saeder-Krupp's labs, the Goblin Tribe, a clan of trolls, settled in natural tunnels. Their leader, a deckerand baroness of the troll kingdom, is damaged to the point of being unable to exist outside the matrix. This ruined vassal called The Forsaken has created representations in the matrix simulating the tunnels. This draws much energy from corp resources, causing problems for the lab. Runners are hired to investigate. A decker is requested as well to follow dangerous fluctuations in the internal matrix Saeder-Krupp wants to risk no own personnel for.

The Forsaken is expecting this. She attributes her current problems to a mundane quest from Saeder-Krupp which had gone sour.

Scene I

Once an entrance is found (not too easy, depending on location), twisting tunnels filled with stalagmites and -tites hinder progress. Signs of the trolls can be found, maybe they even see a shadow moving away. At narrow points, the team will eventually have to pass through what looks like fancy webbed curtains stretching through the whole passage. They can see trolls hanging in the passage, supported by nets.

These are sensor nets sticking to the body, drawing the unsuspecting chummer into the cave matrix. If some of the runners get stuck, they are under the impression to still be in the tunnels after a moment's confusion, but those not drawn in with them are gone. Careful observation finds the patterns on the twisting tunnel's walls repeat, indicating the artificial nature.

If the runners free the trolls, they react hostile and confused, and do not believe they have ever been anywhere but in the tunnels. Only cleaning out the nets and showing them the real tunnels will convince them, in which case they might be persuaded to vacate the area. Some of them will fight, but flee once it is obvious they can't win. They should not give any hints The Forsaken is present.

Scene II

Searching the tunnels reveals a hidden cave with a troll connected to a life support system. The only way to contact her is to follow into the matrix. By now, The Forsaken is aware of the intrusion and releases gas to render the runners unconscious, then cover them with nets. If an awakened enters the matrix, he is unable to act and rejected within a few minutes but still be unconscious for a while.

Runners in the matrix will encounter the Forsaken Avatar, an icon designed to look like a mockery of a dragon. The Forsaken has no interest in letting the runners leave and holds them hostage. She counts on getting their decker to break into Saeder-Krupp's files for data about the disastrous mundane quest which crippled her. She can't do it in her current state and thinks it might help her to return to health.

Scene III

Finding the data is difficult despite Saeder-Krupp not considering it important. The decker might think of asking Seaeder-Krupp for the data instead, which will be granted. There are no hints at trickery from Saeder-Krupp, but there are comments about an incompetent troll decker almost killing the mission.

Breaking it to The Forsaken is tricky. The Forsaken Avatar changes to a tiny mouse when told. If she accepts fault or not, she loses control in her disappointment. The runners are kicked from the matrix. In the tunnels, traps are activated. There might still be other trolls. By now lab security storms the tunnels, breaking through the roof, with orders not to attack the runners.

In the resulting chaos, anything might happen. Make sure to play out the confusion with as many trap gadgets you can think of, mixing funny with serious situations. Keep in mind the twisted tunnels do not allow for much visibility beyond a few meters.

Picking up the Pieces

Saeder-Krupp's security will take the baroness into custody, beginning research on her state. The Goblin Tribe will be allowed to escape on surrender. The runners will get paid even if their decker has been decking into the lab. Injuries will be taken care of.

Follow up:

The troll kingdom might want to talk to the runners about what happened to the baroness.

Lowfyr is known for micromanaging Seader-Krupp and might hire them for a follow up mission to investigate the Johnson of the baroness' blotched mission on suspicion of embezzling money meant for that run.

Rune

Once A Fool
Very close decision for Match 3, y'all. I'm going to hold onto it for just a bit, in case I change my mind!

Rune

Once A Fool
Judgement for Round 1, Match 3: MortalPlague vs. tglassy

I always enjoy when a match produces two entries that would dovetail nicely with each other. Such is the case with these, I think. It's not as uncommon as you might think, given the shared set of ingredients. It is, however, incidental. Fun, but incidental.

The adventures:

"Legacy" has a lot going for it, even while having some questionable, if not downright troubling, flaws. To begin with, I can't figure out why Barras even needs the Falling Sky. What does he get out of it? I haven't got a clue.

Then there's the infernal book. I realy like the role it plays in the adventure, but that assumes buy-in from the PCs, which I doubt will happen. As soon as the DM says, " She hands you a tome written with infernal scr–" just about every party ever is going to say, "Nope!"

If that's going to be the hook, the DM is going to need a way around it.

Also, a large chunk of this adventure assumes the PCs won't have access to some other means of ingress (like flight – that's a thing!). If they bypass the runes and kill Solis without questioning him, they may never know what's really going on.

After that, though, once the PCs get inside the base, the adventure opens up to allow for different directions, if not much more actual adventuring. The trek to Barras (if it happens at all) could use a little fleshing out, but all-in-all, things have gotten really interesting by this point.

It would be nice to have a little bit of direction for determining the fallout from the various options. If the ice demon is summoned and killed, how do Barras and the Archdevil respond? If the PCs just leave Solis to his misery, what happens then? If they kill Barras, what happens? Does Solis, having found his redemption, disband the Falling Sky or become an effective leader and take them in a new direction?

I want to have unanswered questions at the end of an adventure to build future adventures on. But I need some sort of closure, and I'm not sure the adventure, as written, fully delivers.

However, the core of the adventure really does deliver. If the PCs fall for it, I really like the idea of tricking them into completing the ritual (a suitably devilish scheme). Even if they don't, it pays off, unless they abandon the mission altogether.

Then they get to offer Solis what he says he wants (death – a decision with immediate consequences) or a chance at what he really wants (redemption). That's satisfying stuff, and provides some of the closure I previously suggested was lacking.

In the opposite corner, "To Catch a Fallen Star" ("Star") has the pieces of a good adventure and, indeed, the basic structure is pretty solid. It's got a good variety of scenarios and comes to an exciting finish with a tight time-limit. Its stakes are clear. It looks pretty good.

I'm never clear enough about the NPCs' motivations to feel as if they can be used to full effect, however. Of the two that are clear (the Lich and Lorcan), only one actually appears in the adventure. Fortunately, he is the villain.

The other NPCs feel like they could really add to the adventure, if only there were more to them.

What reason does Mayor Knisty have for hiding his head in the sand? Is he playing a Wormtongue role here, or does he have other reasons for being willfully oblivious?

Has Ms. Prylia noticed something dark in her adopted son, or is she oblivious, too? How did she come to adopt him in the first place?

And how does the beggar woman know any of the things she speaks of? Is she Lorcan's mother? Was she experimented on?

Answering these questions would make the adventure far more rich and it feels like a great opportunity was missed.

And then there's the anticlimactic end of Lorcan if the PCs fail to stop him in time. What could possibly be gained by ending the adventure that way? Who is going to find that to be a satisfying conclusion?

Still, it's a solid adventure, with no glaring flaws (except that possible ending scenario). The same cannot be said of "Legacy," despite the abundance of intriguing opportunities offered in the latter.

If the use of ingredients didn't matter, that would decide the match, but they do, so let's take a look:

Ingredients:

Feckless Leader.
The feckless leader in "Star," the Mayor, seems somewhat incidental, at best. If we knew more about his motivations, this ingredient could be far greater, but, as is, I'm not sure what it adds to the adventure.

In contrast, Solis in "Legacy" really is the crux of the adventure. I'm not sure how important it is that he be either a leader, or a feckless one (as opposed to any other individual Barras wants to replace), but that's only because I don't understand how the Falling Sky is important to the adventure. It is unquestionable that his nature as a feckless leader is central to the action.

Sea Change. For those who don't know, a sea change refers to an unignorable, likely fundamental transformation, generally one that changes the status quo. I'd also accept some sort of clever word-play with the component words.

In "Star," the nearest I can find is the transformation into the Lich, but that happens well before the adventure begins. It can't be the restarting of the experiments, because it's really just a continuation of something that was happening before. If it's just the consequence of finishing the adventure – all adventures do that (or should)!

In "Legacy," we can't even point to the transformation into Lichdom, as that doesn't even get mentioned in the backstory. The likely outcome of the PCs' actions will result in such a change, but, as in "Star," this is a natural consequence of completing the adventure. Fortunately, the sea change is actually a goal of the villains, so it is not just something the PCs can bring about – it is also something the may (likely?) actively work against. (And, as a bonus, this ties the ingredient nicely into the feckless leader). Therein lies the difference.

Cold Calculation. With the introduction of an Archdevil of Cold and an ice devil, things looked promising for this ingredient in "Legacy," but I'm not seeing where any calculation (unfeeling, literally cold, or otherwise) plays any role in this adventure. Perhaps the (unlikely?) decision to grant Solis's request for death (that then leads to the summoning of an ice devil) is meant to apply, but it seems a stretch.

I don't really see anything in "Star," either, though. If it is meant to apply to the experiments on the villagers, that would work, if only it didn't all happen off-screen. I don't think I can give this one to either entry.

Son of a Lich. Not surprisingly, this ingredient features as the central figure in both entries. As a villain in "Star," Lorcan has reasonably sound motivations, a fleshed-out backstory, and a reason why it matters that he is the son of a lich.

"Legacy" has a (potentially) more interesting character in this role, but the fact that he is the son of a lich is inconsequential. He could be any relation to Barras (or none, at all) without affecting the adventure, and Barras doesn't have any explicit reason called out for being a lich, either! The character has a good role in the adventure, but the ingredient does not.

Infernal Rubric. While the Book of Vile Darkness is not explicitly infernal in origin, given the nature of the book, I'll give it to "Star." Going with the "teacher's manual" definition of rubric, it's hard to get more wicked than that particular tome! The reveal is a nice little twist at the end, too. Unfortunately, the book, itself, amounts to nothing more than a macguffin during the adventure – and not even one the PCs are going to encounter until it's all done with!

Meanwhile, the clearly and necessarily infernal set of instructions that appears in "Legacy" is something the PCs actively use to move things forward (assuming the DM can find a way to convince them to do so). Likely, this ingredient was meant to be tied in with the "cold calculation" ingredient, which would have strengthened both, but given that that ingredient falls short, the link does, too. Regardless, this is certainly the strongest ingredient in "Legacy," and stands above its use in "Star."

Falling Sky. Regrettably, falling sky is used glaringly poorly in "Legacy." Naming a band of raiders "Falling Sky" after their preferred tactics is tenuous at best. Why not name them "Death from Above?" Or "Wyvern Riders?" Or anything, really? That's the problem with just using an ingredient as a name. Names almost always could be something else. Added to that, the fact that the raiders need to be airborne is questionable, anyway. Their base needs to be mostly inaccessible for the adventure to work, but how did they find the base, or train all of the wyverns, anyway? Without some explanations, it strains credulity, somewhat.

Worse, as I mentioned earlier, there is never any indication why they exist, in the first place. What does Barras get out of sending wyvern riders to burn fields and raid caravans? Does he need the resources? Why? Does he want to spread terror? Again, why? As it happens, this ingredient underscores one of the major problems I have with Barras as a villain. We know what Barras wants to happen during the adventure, but why?

"Star" is somewhat disappointing with this ingredient, too. The start is promising, and it hangs over the whole adventure till the very end. But it does so as an unspoken bit of scenery, faded into the background. With a little detail, we could have an ominous backdrop (and might have a sense of why a falling star seems like a falling sky). What a waisted opportunity. Still, even if the ingredient appeared nowhere in the entry, it would still be better than the one in "Legacy."

Conclusion:

So, here we are with the ingredient comparison at 3:2, again. This time, the stronger adventure has the weakest set of ingredients, which means I have to weigh the degree of variance between the two entries in each of those two areas against each other.

As far as the the adventures go, "Star" is a lot more solid than the other. I believe "Legacy" has the potential to be truly special, but not without adjusting for its problem areas.

On the other hand, even though "Legacy" only has one better ingredient than "Star," the quality of use of those ingredients is generally far superior. Can that outweigh a less-inspiring, but nearly flawless entry's edge? Normally, I would say yes.

This time, I come back to "falling sky." My issues with it bring me back, full circle, to the adventure. And that's where I think I have to make my decision.

I want you to know, MortalPlague, that I'm torn about this. Having lost my fair share of Round 1 matches, I'm sure this stings a bit, especially given how close it was. Your adventure doesn't have more problems than most – and they certainly aren't unfixable. I really want to give it a run, in fact.

But tglassy's was just more sound in this match and, thus, the newcomer with the 675 word-limit takes the upset over 2014's IRON DM.

tglassy advances to Round 2.

Normally, I'd try to give the outgoing contestant some bit of constructive insight tailored to their style, but you, of course, already have a good handle on things, MortalPlague. I've no doubt you'll come out swinging the next time around.

Remove ads