• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes...what's your opinion?

Bagpuss said:
Personally I'm removing magic (as spell casters) from the players hands altogether. In my campaign only outsiders can work magic (or people possessed by outsiders) and there are only evil outsiders. That solves all the problems with the magic system. :p

Dark Legacies Iron Heroes?

MI

Baragos

First Post
Dark Legacies Iron Heroes?

I see I'm not the only one who's had this thought...I don't know if that's disturbing or not :p

I think the Iron Heroes rules set could work excellent for a Dark Legacies campaign, with minimal work.

There needs to be a Priest obviously, and perhaps also a Soldier, though most of his abilities could be made into Feat Masteries. The Arcanist also needs looking at, but rogue, lurker, barbarian, and fighter (the remaining classes) can easily be made with the existing IH classes.

Races might need a little work, but no more than if you wanted to do FR IH or GH IH.

I'd actually be interested in working on such a project if anyone wants to do it...

Guver

Explorer
I'm amazed by how wrong most of the guys here are.
IRON Heroes is a system with low-to-no magic. Why would a magic-class be as powerful as the other classes? That would make being a magic-class a viable thing, and then the world would not be low-to-no magic, because many heroes would be magic-class heroes.
The arcanist, on the other hand, may be low in power compared to a wizard from D&D, but the fact that he may be the ONLY arcanist in thousand of square miles makes I'm much more powerful than a wizard.
If you want to play IRON heroes, with a special note on the iron, to be a spell-caster, then you got it all wrong.

Guver

Explorer
Arise Dead Thread, epic 9 year thread necromancy on 1st post, welcome.

LOL! This is not my first post. All my post history got lost with EnWorld, but yes, I was very infuriated when reading all the discussions on the Arcanist and how it did "not fit" the rest of the classes...
Sorry about casting Raise Dead, I know it has been banned on most worlds :D.

Janx

Hero
Don't tell anyone they are wrong. Each opinion is as valid as yours. Thank you.

Well, you've got the red ink, so I guess you're right... :)

I do suspect our threadcromantic friend has got a valid, but over excited point.

Iron Heroes wasn't about magic, so magic wasn't supposed to be powerful.

I doubt anybody in the old thread is too emotionally invested to be offended by Guyver's enthusiastic rebuttal.

I'd be more curious of how much of Iron Heroes influenced 4e and now 5e since Mearls worked on those?

Guver

Explorer
I apologize. Wasn't my intention to insult other opinions. I was just reading Iron Heroes and going to the internet for opinions. I found some good ones but then I found this thread were the conversation focused on the Arcanist, and how bad the Arcanist was, and how nobody would play an Arcanist, bla bla bla, and I thought that the intention of the system was exactly that.

I plan on using Iron Heroes, with some modifications, to DM a Middle Earth game set in the 4Age, and the system got me very excited. It was the first time I could find a system that would make characters feel heroic without the need of magic or magic items, and I think it fits Middle Earth perfectly. Of course Mearls could not say so because of the crazy licensing of Tolkien's works, but I think his intention shows.

Andor

First Post
I plan on using Iron Heroes, with some modifications, to DM a Middle Earth game set in the 4Age, and the system got me very excited. It was the first time I could find a system that would make characters feel heroic without the need of magic or magic items, and I think it fits Middle Earth perfectly. Of course Mearls could not say so because of the crazy licensing of Tolkien's works, but I think his intention shows.

You think so? Iron Heroes to me seems much more Robert Howard or Fritz Lieber than J.R.R.Tolkein. It would be a good platform for a 4th Age game though where much of the magic has drained away with the breaking of the Ring and the passing of the Elves.

Remove ads