Iron Will or Close Quarter Fighting

Someguy

First Post
Iron will, definatly, the +2 cna save you sometimes...
I am apsion,a nd tos ave a character from being carried off to be eaten by a big flying thing, i mind blasted it and him, and he made it, by 1, so if he didn't take that feat, he would hav ebeen stunned...

All in all, these are fighters weakest pionts...go ith it!

Zhure

First Post
I'd go with Iron Will.

- it's core. Core is always better for porting characters to other games/DMs/settings.

- it's conceptual. Your character's had run-ins with fear effects. Now he's tougher.

- you can overcome your grappling/swallowing problems somewhat by having a light weapon. Personally, my PsyWar wears one spiked guantlet for this very reason. Armor spikes, daggers (every adventurer should have one anyway) all would help assuage this hole in the character's repetoire.

-Iron Will is a prerequisite for some other Feats and PrCs. (I think, but I can't put my finger on which ones offhand. Could be wrong....)

After looking at it, my PsyWar may go with Iron Will at 11th level instead of Up the Walls. Now *that's* a hard decision, since it's part of a feat chain.

Hope that helps,
Greg

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Zhure said:
, daggers (every adventurer should have one anyway

Aint that the truth, in a published adventure a fight with the roper killed the parties paladin since he didn't have a dagger. He was grabbed by the thing and getting chewed on taking him out of the fight. And he asked isn't their anything I can do. I was sure you can use a light weapon when grabbed, why don't you stab him with your dagger, and hope he lets you go or dies before you do. His response, I don't have a dagger. My response, you don't have a dagger!!!, oh well, that's another x damage this round. He was rolling up a new character that night, a telepath this time.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Anyway I'm for iron will, nothing sucks more than failing will saves and a +2 is another 10% chance of success. Think of it this way a opposing wizard with an int of 20 and spell focus casting a 4th level spell at you like charm monster is dc 21, you'd only need to roll an 11 when raging to make the save. That is close to a 50% chance of success, you'd need a 13 if not raging which is still doable, and a 15 if not ragiing and didn't have this feat, and that is reaching the good luck level of success.

And since you are a great axe weilder ignore improved critical anyway, an extra 5% chance of crit is failry minor. Improved crit is much better for swords and other weapons that start off at 19-20 crit range or better. There are other combat oriented feats that will serve you much better than improv cirt ever will when you weild a great axe crit range 20.

Enforcer

Explorer
Iron Will all the way. People are right when they say a light weapon will help you out of a grab jam, so close-quarters combat is less useful. Iron Will on the other hand is great! +2 on a save is hefty. Another reason that hasn't been mentioned is that it basically cancels out Spell Focus on spells with Will saves. So if some Enchanter thinks he's a bad-ass 'cause he gets an extra +2 to his DC mod, your Iron Will cancels it out...added to you being dwarven, you've still got the edge.

Rashak Mani

First Post
He didnt have a DAGGER !!! What happened to his Basic Adventurers Kit ? Got lost on the way too paladinhood ?

Darn silly way of dying...

Against big monsters Close Quarter Combat is the only way to avoid being swallowed and the feat description is very cool... but I have to agree with the majority that Iron Will is much more versatile and useful. I might still fail those dam fear rolls... but it will be bad luck ... not lousy Will saves...

I was barely even considering Iron Will... and now I am convinced... nothing like having a board full of consultants... :)

Remove ads