D&D 5E Is 5E "big enough" for a Basic/Advanced split?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Just to iterate what's in the "Basic D&D" 180 page rules book out for free:

The Basic Rules document is divided into four parts.

Part 1 is about creating a character, providing the rules and guidance you need to make the character you’ll play in the game. It includes information on the various races, classes, backgrounds, equipment, and other customization options that you can choose from. Many of the rules in part 1 rely on material in parts 2 and 3.

Part 2 details the rules of how to play the game, beyond the basics described in this introduction. That part covers the kinds of die rolls you make to determine success or failure at the tasks your character attempts, and describes the three broad categories of activity in the game: exploration, interaction, and combat.

Part 3 is all about magic. It covers the nature of magic in the worlds of D&D, the rules for spellcasting, and a selection of typical spells available to magic-using characters (and monsters) in the game.

Part 4 is about tools for Dungeon Masters. It includes information and stat blocks for monsters, advice for building combat encounters, and magic items.

Reynard

Legend
No, but there is in the Essentials Kit (after the feedback to the Starter Set), and in the free online Basic Rules that Phandelvera points to.
I think they should take inspiration from Paizo's Beginner Boxes for those sorts of products.

But I wasn't really just talking about Basic as a beginner thing, but rather a cleaner, simpler, more streamlined version of 5E that takes on a life of it's own a la BECMI. The opposite of Level Up, if you will.

Reynard

Legend
Just to iterate what's in the "Basic D&D" 180 page rules book out for free:

The Basic Rules document is divided into four parts.

Part 1 is about creating a character, providing the rules and guidance you need to make the character you’ll play in the game. It includes information on the various races, classes, backgrounds, equipment, and other customization options that you can choose from. Many of the rules in part 1 rely on material in parts 2 and 3.

Part 2 details the rules of how to play the game, beyond the basics described in this introduction. That part covers the kinds of die rolls you make to determine success or failure at the tasks your character attempts, and describes the three broad categories of activity in the game: exploration, interaction, and combat.

Part 3 is all about magic. It covers the nature of magic in the worlds of D&D, the rules for spellcasting, and a selection of typical spells available to magic-using characters (and monsters) in the game.

Part 4 is about tools for Dungeon Masters. It includes information and stat blocks for monsters, advice for building combat encounters, and magic items.

If they actually wanted people to use it they would print it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think they should take inspiration from Paizo's Beginner Boxes for those sorts of products.

But I wasn't really just talking about Basic as a beginner thing, but rather a cleaner, simpler, more streamlined version of 5E that takes on a life of it's own a la BECMI. The opposite of Level Up, if you will.
Yeah, that's just not a good publishing strategy: that was TSR shooting themselves in the foot.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If they actually wanted people to use it they would print it.
I'm sure people use it: the primary audience is going to be Zoomers who have Internet capable devices and got the Starter Set for Christmas, etc.

Though notably the test hasn't been updated since D&D Beyond took off, which has all the SRD material anyways.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases