D&D 5E Is 5e "Easy Mode?"

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
that ignores the nova problem that rears it's head as you step away from 6-8 encounters/long rest so you don't even get a reasonably balanced result.
well you have the problem of not everyone being able to ummm play in the same nova game... rudolph has no offensive longrest resources.

That said 3 to 4 that are double sized could even be seen as approximate 4e standard... if it was 3 rounds in 4e it was a flavor battle or part of a bigger skill challenge and not the main point.

One might let short rest users a partial resource recovery too.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
well you have the problem of not everyone being able to ummm play in the same nova game... rudolph has no offensive longrest resources.

That said 3 to 4 that are double sized could even be seen as approximate 4e standard... if it was 3 rounds in 4e it was a flavor battle or part of a bigger skill challenge and not the main point.

One might let short rest users a partial resource recovery too.
the problem isn't "how could I fix it", it's what @Ilbranteloth said here that I was responding to when I detailed the variant options & how they miss the mark in ways that are either deliberate or as carelessly incomplete spitballs.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
the problem isn't "how could I fix it", it's what @Ilbranteloth said here that I was responding to when I detailed the variant options & how they miss the mark in ways that are either deliberate or as carelessly incomplete spitballs.
Yeh I do not have any conflict with that statement I think I more a confirming your opinion and nitpicking a detail ... the healing surge could be used as a limit. The second wind could be used to stabilize fighting bigger battles IF they had done as more than carelessly incomplete spitballs.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Heck you could even make the Second wind item only work if the fight hits 5 rounds and that would be kind of cool. (strangely more realistic but unneeded limit given the action cost but ok that seems 5e style)

Or make it a bonus action if used after 5 rounds...

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I like concept of the world being a dark place and the heroes being "points of light" in a dark world. That is not a problem. The dark tone of a world can be conveyed without hosing PCs.
I see "points of light" as being more the remaining outposts of decent civilization in a world going wild, but the same general idea applies.

Also, no that does not explain certain levels of random F ery. The completely random monster ecology that was present in many early games of D&D (1E and before) made no sense. For example having a room full of rust monsters in one room, right next to a room of goblins in another room, right next to a room full of wights with gelatinous cube in the hall way right in front of some randomly placed trap does not make sense unless you are maybe entering the menagarie of some mad wizard maze keeper or something. Many dungeons in early D&D were like this.
Both as player and DM I love dungeons like this! In fact, one of the few of my own modules I've ever put together into vaguely-publishable form is just like this: completely random stuff that makes no sense whatsoever until and unless (it's not at all guaranteed) the PCs figure out the underlying reason for it all.

Also, there's not that many of them. Judges Guild put out a few doozies but I'm not completely sure whether they were supposed to be entirely taken seriously or not. A couple of others e.g. EX-1 and 2 were intentionally supposed to be wacko. After those, most things I've found to be more or less explainable.

Some early modules very much had random ultra deadly monsters and traps that were present without warning. This was not all that rare.
Because, as I said earlier, the world is out to get you. Be careful, and take the time to search.
Also even if clues are given for a group of non-veterans players it may not be so easy to tell. I can describe cockatrices for example in a way that a veteran may use player knowledge and know what they are but newer players or players even who have never encountered them before would not necessarily recognize them and know how deadly they are for a party of a certain level.
Obviously. Some things have to be learned by trial and error; and the first time a cockatrice turns someone to stone the rest of the party will learn about 'em real fast! (that said, it'd be a truly nasty DM who didn't have the party meet just one the first time)

Probably the nastiest trick I've used along these lines is the Magic-User Medusa whose favourite trick was to cast Invisibility on herself, wait until a PC got close to her, and then suddenly appear in front of said PC as her snakes attacked with surprise.... :devilish:

No one has mentioned winning every time. If you are going to make an argument don't create a strawman and address something not said address what was said. Yes. there will be times that players have to flee in frustration. There will on the rare occasion be a character death but those instances should be just that rare.
Death, particularly in the modern editions, is the biggest risk a character can face; and thus if death isn't threatened one can argue the challenge is reduced greatly. And this is why these debates always end up revolving around lethality: the other major risks are all gone.

In older editions you could also threaten level loss, item loss, limb loss, and so forth; meaning death didn't have to be the only major risk.
For the most part the PCs are heroes above the common person in ability even if they come from common or lower backgrounds. D&D has embraced this philosophy since 3E and the change has bettered the game.
I thoroughly disagree that this change has bettered the game.

I'd far rather see the PCs become heroes through play, rather than start there before play even begins.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think out of the abyss or one of its AL uppliments (ie aldmg)even had a sidebar or something reiterating that.

@doctorbadwolf if your position is that those tools exist but you can not show even a few examples then you've not even shown that you understand the complaint or realized what kinds of tools that are missing from a dm's toolbox.
Bud, I gave examples to the other person in this discussion who knows how to discuss things in a civil manner. I ain’t going out of my way for you.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
that ignores the nova problem that rears it's head as you step away from 6-8 encounters/long rest so you don't even get a reasonably balanced result.... unless of course the gm removes all the other healing or have none in the group.
Have you actually run a game and experienced balance issues from not running 6-8 encounters?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases