D&D 5E Is 5e Heroic, or SUPER-heroic?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
How about one where you have an actual decent number of votes? like in the thousands

1598421779921.png

How about one where you have an actual decent number of votes? like in the thousands

View attachment 125118

Read the comments. Most of them are talking about how many encounters they get per session. In fact, I'd go further and assert it's impossible in any dungeon to only average 1-2 encounters per day (between 8 hour long rests).

In other words, I don't trust the polls results.

Its something I encounter on here as well. People conflate 'adventuring days' with 'game sessions'. They're not the same thing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Read the comments. Most of them are talking about how many encounters they get per session. In fact, I'd go further and assert it's impossible in any dungeon to only average 1-2 encounters per day (between 8 hour long rests).
Dungeon may be the issue... as far back as 1e the published dungeons seemed to be ill designed in many ways. So what I ran was independent. I think I recall when that happens we often have a parties 3rd combat ends up being a chase scene and regrouping so they can get somewhere and analyze the problem revealed by the first few fights, Subsequent mystery also ends up being preparatory sequences with only a few physical conflicts and a climactic culmination which may end up 2 more or less planned fights and a final third being more of a big bad.

Spreading these things out over more than one day seems to generally be the norm or atleast perfectly reasonable.

In other words, I don't trust the polls results.
Too small of poll is another reason to not trust a poll but its entirely reasonable to distrust a poll with a singular expression presented one way. Pew polls generally express the same concepts multiple ways to narrow down nuances in meaning.

5e further complicated issues with short rest resources with martial classes only interesting features being driven by that. --> Aside from the I hit it one more time.

Last edited:

Dungeon may be the issue... as far back as 1e the published dungeons seemed to be ill designed in many ways. So what I ran was independent.

Cool, but I'm talking about default DnD where the core adventuring locale is a 'dungeon' of several closely linked encounters in a small geographic area.

As presented in nearly every single adventure written, throughout 5 editions, ever, and represented in the name of the game.

Spreading these things out over more than one day seems to generally be the norm

No, it's not. You dont do rooms 1 and 2 of the 'catacombs of terror' then fall back for a sleep for the night, before doing rooms 3 and 4.

If your group are doing that, your DM needs a kick up the backside.

Too small of poll is another reason to not trust a poll but its entirely reasonable to distrust a poll with a singular expression presented one way. Pew polls generally express the same concepts multiple ways to narrow down nuances in meaning.

When you read the comments you'll see what I mean. Most of them are conflating 'session' with 'adventuring day'.

I'm wary of the results as a consequence.

Do you remember the reason WOTC gave about not really selling those...."pre written adventures"

We're still getting them. Every single adventure written to date can be surmised as 'Head to Dungeon X. Do thing. Wander around overground and roleplay and rest a bit. Now head to Dungeon Y. Do thing. Repeat.'

They're all a collection of several dungeons scattered around a largish area the PCs walk around and explore.

That's the crux of DnD. Enter a dungeon (ruin, forest, castle, maze whatever) kill stuff.

It's utterly impossible (barring an incompetent DM) to only have 1-2 encounters per Long rest in anything resembling a normal DnD 'dungeon'.

The answer to the question was few people bought them most adventures being played are custom made to suit the players and DMs

Like my zombie plague mystery I made a synopsis of.

I get that your games of Dungeons and Dragons dont feature Dungeons and Dragons, but I'd wager you're in the minority there, and if you're not, the basic premise and assumptions of the game doesn't change.

The basic premise of the game is a small band of (4-5) characters with diverse skill sets, entering dungeons and dealing with traps, monsters and environmental and social challenges located in close proximity with each other.

This has been the case since Gygax ran his group through the ruins of Greyhawk dungeon, and has been played out in tournaments, represented in modules and adventure paths and adventurers league games for literally 5 iterations of the game over 40 years.

Not saying what you're doing is 'wrong'. Just making the point that the essence of the game is pretty much 'get quest, enter dungeon, slay monsters, deal with BBEG, divide the loot'.

If you're playing against those assumptions, then obviously, your results may vary.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am sure some home games or even many are also patterned after the methodological genocidal clearing a location is that the only thing supported?

Remove ads