• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is 5E Special

Parmandur

Book-Friend
LOL.

Forgotten Realms is the antithesis of modern.

4e tried to modernize it and we all know how that went.
Forgotten Realms remains very popular, even with younger people: it's a pastiche of everything that people like in generic High Fantasy, and that hasn't gone out style. 5E FR does a much, much better job of moving with current tastes than...whatever 4E was doing. I was in my early 20's when 4E came out, and that was a really critical fail on trying to appeal to "what the kids like these days."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh you bloody youngsters. Go off my lawn.
Always wanted to say that, since I am nearly 42 I am obliged to say it, I guess.

My experience is mainly with people between 15 and 45. They are all happy playing 5e without complaining about the limited choices.

I had once played with a friend who insisted of having a long sword that is slashing but finesse... I granted his wish.
My 5 year old son wanted a robo dog.

I just let hims start with an artificer battlesmith at level 3 with somewhat reduced spell and weapon selection.

Other than that: not a single complain.
I mean, what contemporary fantasy literature, TV, or movie is supposedly not being serviced in 5E...? I don't see it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh I forgot: an noone wants to play humans. But that is taken care of in 5e.
That's not really true, broadly speaking. Most people want to play Humans or Elves. Always was so, and that's unlikely to ever change. Making playing a kitty person easier is welcome, though, bit thst isn't about appealing to the young per se.

Remove ads