• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is 5E Special

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I ran 3 campaigns with a majority of players under 30 and all they did (when play ended) was complain about how restrictive 5e was and how all the cool races, classes, subclasses, options were weak or didn't work.

Can I change my racials
Can you fix the monk
Can you dd custom spells the sorcerer
Can my fighter get a Cha bonus vs street people because "He's about that life"
Can you make a subclass that adds more attunement
Can I take my attnement to unlock my sword's hidden power
Can I swap this for wings
Can I craft a X?
I wanna whilshape into a polar beardog.
Yeah, that doesn't really jive with my experience at all, except for the obvious "say yes, and..." questions in that list.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I disagree. There is a lot more "cute" in 5E art now than there was at launch. they did not jettison the original style, but it has been injected with more whimsy and "cartoonish" (again, just descriptive) style over its life.
No more Tham there was in the PHB, near as I can tell. Not in the books themselves, at any rate.

Yeah, that doesn't really jive with my experience at all, except for the obvious "say yes, and..." questions in that list.
If two people have two different experiences, the one who has had problems consistently can't be dismissed because that isn't your experience. Instead, you should see that Minigiant's experience is valid, and try and, through discussion, come to a better understanding of their experience so you can deconstruct it for your own personal gain.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If two people have two different experiences, the one who has had problems consistently can't be dismissed because that isn't your experience. Instead, you should see that Minigiant's experience is valid, and try and, through discussion, come to a better understanding of their experience so you can deconstruct it for your own personal gain.
Sure, what do you think is happening...? But the question is, how general is this experience?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The DM "says yes"...

...then has to write or buy a new race/class/sublclass/item/subsystem because 5e was designed mechanically and narratively for people over 40.

2014 5e was designed with only the tropes of the 90s and earlier in mind. Almost every "new idea" didn't work mechanically or wasn't supposed in lore, setting, or art.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The DM "says yes"...

...then has to write or buy a new race/class/sublclass/item/subsystem because 5e was designed mechanically and narratively for people over 40.

2014 5e was designed with only the tropes of the 90s and earlier in mind. Almost every "new idea" didn't work mechanically or wasn't supposed in lore, setting, or art.
This is just a random assertion, and I do not see anybevidence that it is true. I'm well under 40 still today, and this does not correspond to my experience with people as young as 5 years old.

And refluffing and rolling with it allows for a huge amount to be accomplished thematically with minimal work.

Today I learned Parmandur is under 40!!!! There's more than 5 of us here!!!

Oh you bloody youngsters. Go off my lawn.
Always wanted to say that, since I am nearly 42 I am obliged to say it, I guess.

My experience is mainly with people between 15 and 45. They are all happy playing 5e without complaining about the limited choices.

I had once played with a friend who insisted of having a long sword that is slashing but finesse... I granted his wish.
My 5 year old son wanted a robo dog.

I just let hims start with an artificer battlesmith at level 3 with somewhat reduced spell and weapon selection.

Other than that: not a single complain.

Edit: the only difference I notice between today and 20 years ago is that 9th graders are willing to eat the bodies of their dead enemies (orcs ans goblins) as soon as they stranded on an island.

Remove ads