D&D 5E Is 5E Special

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My point is that the 2014 version of 5e didn't cater to the tastes of new players.
It taught them how to play but didn't successfully cater to the tastes of new players.
What is your evidefor that? That does not match what I have seen in reality among younger people.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Tasha's Customization options
How does a set of options to meet the needs of the 2020 audience mean that the 2014 rules were not well aimed at teenagers and twenty somethings in 2014...? What is your evidence for that? My personal experience is that WotC did a good job at attracting younger players in the Teens with their fantasy themes and art.

Reynard

Legend
Tasha's Customization options
I actually think the real evidence is the toonzification (this is a descriptive term and not a pejorative one) of the art. There is clear visual inspiration from things like Steven Universe, Adventure Time and Avatar/Korra -- probably because the generation discovering the game right now grew up on that stuff.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
How does a set of options to meet the needs of the 2020 audience mean that the 2014 rules were not well aimed at teenagers and twenty somethings in 2014...? What is your evidence for that? My personal experience is that WotC did a good job at attracting younger players in the Teens with their fantasy themes and art.
Teaching a 20 year how to play the game and Having a game system and lore that matches a 20 year's idea of fantasy are two different things.

5e did a good job at attracting young people to the game.
5e did a meh to terrible job of replicating the type of fantasy popular with youth.

Edit: and Art. as per @Reynard

I actually think the real evidence is the toonzification (this is a descriptive term and not a pejorative one) of the art. There is clear visual inspiration from things like Steven Universe, Adventure Time and Avatar/Korra -- probably because the generation discovering the game right now grew up on that stuff.
That too.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Teaching a 20 year how to play the game and Having a game system and lore that matches a 20 year's idea of fantasy are two different things.

5e did a good job at attracting young people to the game.
5e did a meh to terrible job of replicating the type of fantasy popular with youth.

Edit: and Art. as per @Reynard

That too.
What is your evidence for this? I was in my 20's when 5E came out, and my playgroupnwas mostly much younger people, and that does not jive with my experience with Millenial and Zoomer players, at all. I have never seen 5E fail to provide the options people want from currently popular fantasy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The art hasn't really radically changed in 5E, though: it has evolved as artists vhange, but the house style remains pretty consistent from the PHB to Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel.

Reynard

Legend
The art hasn't really radically changed in 5E, though: it has evolved as artists vhange, but the house style remains pretty consistent from the PHB to Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel.
I disagree. There is a lot more "cute" in 5E art now than there was at launch. they did not jettison the original style, but it has been injected with more whimsy and "cartoonish" (again, just descriptive) style over its life.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What is your evidence for this? I was in my 20's when 5E came out, and my playgroupnwas mostly much younger people, and that does not jive with my experience with Millenial and Zoomer players, at all. I have never seen 5E fail to provide the options people want from currently popular fantasy.
I ran 3 campaigns with a majority of players under 30 and all they did (when play ended) was complain about how restrictive 5e was and how all the cool races, classes, subclasses, options were weak or didn't work.

Can I change my racials
Can you fix the monk
Can you add custom spells the sorcerer
Can my fighter get a Cha bonus vs street people because "He's about that life"
Can you make a subclass that adds more attunement
Can I take my attunement to unlock my sword's hidden power
Can I swap this for wings
Can I craft a X?
I wanna whilshape into a polar beardog.

Last edited:

I ran 3 campaigns with a majority of players under 30 and all they did (when play ended) was complain about how restrictive 5e was and how all the cool races, classes, subclasses, options were weak or didn't work.

Can I change my racials
Can you fix the monk
Can you dd custom spells the sorcerer
Can my fighter get a Cha bonus vs street people because "He's about that life"
Can you make a subclass that adds more attunement
Can I take my attnement to unlock my sword's hidden power
Can I swap this for wings
Can I craft a X?
I wanna whilshape into a polar beardog.
You have a good point here, which is, 5E often restricts the stuff you can get or litters it between different levels and it makes everything feel one step too restrained. I enjoy 5E, and I enjoy designing for 5E, but the restraint has always grinded against me.

Remove ads