Is a new GURPS version in the works?

Faolyn

(she/her)
This is based on my experience with the transition from 3e to 4e as a retailer was that people looked at the 4e rules, said "meh, not enough changes I was interested in, I'll stick with 3e" and so it didn't sell. This was for a game that in 2002-3 I was selling 3-4 copies of the 3e book a year. In addition, my GURPS group decided not to shift to 4e - but it did kill our 3e game 😥. My experience is one micro story in a sea of stories about GURPS 4e; but I think it tends closer to representative than not.
Huh, that's strange--I thought there were remarkable differences between 3e and 4e, and I much preferred 4e. I just lost my ability to deal with that much crunch, and that caused me to move away from GURPS.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
This is based on my experience with the transition from 3e to 4e as a retailer was that people looked at the 4e rules, said "meh, not enough changes I was interested in, I'll stick with 3e" and so it didn't sell. This was for a game that in 2002-3 I was selling 3-4 copies of the 3e book a year. In addition, my GURPS group decided not to shift to 4e - but it did kill our 3e game 😥. My experience is one micro story in a sea of stories about GURPS 4e; but I think it tends closer to representative than not.
See for me I looked at the cost of moving to 4e and decided to tap out. I was already trending away from GURPS in general (3e D&D had pulled me back into D&D's orbit) but if 4e had come out with a single, smaller book instead of 2 big hardcovers, I probably would have gone along for the ride. But it didn't so I didn't - it took me years before I finally ended up buying the 4e books, and even then I got them used instead of new.

(I did pick up the 4e Infinite Worlds book new though - I did love me some GURPS Time Travel and all of the associated Alternate Earths books back in the day. I still use those for campaign ideas because I love multiversal nonsense, which is what drew me to GURPS in the first place)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I personally bought the 4e books, and sold off my 3e core book and "crunch" books, only keeping settings like Humanx and Japan etc. But sold off Vehicles I & II, Space, and more. The thinking being I'd buy the replacements of those in 4e as needed if and when I either played or ran more games. But as noted above the group fizzled, and I actually didn't play any RPGs until D&D4e came out - some 4-5 years later...

dbm

Savage!
Still got these and won’t be unloading them:

52695068026_7794ec7891_k.jpg

Although Savage Worlds is my first choice system to run, GURPS is still my #2.

Remove ads