D&D General Is character class an in-world concept in your campaigns?

Where’s the rule that there’s any difference?
Many differences. A major one is actually established in the description. The mere fact some are arcane and some are divine changes the nature of the spell. The actual magic itself is a different sort of mystical power source. One is very fundemental (arcane) and one has a step in between. A god. A god has transformed arcane power into dovine power which can only be used for certain purposes. Think of arcane energy as crude oil and the divine as gasoline. Thats actually exactly whats happening. One version of a spell just runs on crude and the other has a motor thats a tad picky. Yes i know this explanation is heavy in metaphors. Its all legit. Also all the shaping of the magic is done by the arcane caster. The cleric does a minimal amountbof shaping.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
and dragons have an even higher point buy. As do many demons and devils and genies. NPC’s are just another critter. That doesnt Mean they are there to slay.

Dragons and high CR Outsiders have racial adjustments. If you're allowed to create 1st level versions of them, they will actually get to grow up to be 18th level versions of them by 18th level.

And the characters you mentioned after indid some comparing arent actually all that out of the norm for higher level npcs...it has pretty much IMMEDIATELY changed how i think im going to allow character building in future campaigns i dm! Wow...

In my games, I combine 4e-style advancements-- +1 to two abilities every 4th level-- with Conan d20 advancements of +1 to every ability every other even level. I've played with other variants in the past, but nothing else has really come out well.

Dragons and high CR Outsiders have racial adjustments. If you're allowed to create 1st level versions of them, they will actually get to grow up to be 18th level versions of them by 18th level.
A dragon's maturation is time based. It wont be an ancient wyrm or anything. Itll just have a lot of extra health and levels for its age. Outsiders on the other hand. Outsiders are weird. Especially the non LG ones (and some LG ones). At least thats what it generally seems like.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Lots of us roll stats, you know. You shouldn't assume that these NPCs were built with point buy, or that players can't hit those stat numbers. You may not be able to, but that's your choice.

You show me someone who rolled those stats for their favorite PCs, and I'll show you someone who doesn't roll his stats in front of the DM. Especially when it's character after character after character.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You show me someone who rolled those stats for their favorite PCs, and I'll show you someone who doesn't roll his stats in front of the DM. Especially when it's character after character after character.
Me. I've done both. My favorite PC of all time was rolled in front of the DM and the rest of the group. In fact, every last one of my characters has been rolled in front of DM in group, for the last 36 years. I refuse to use point buy or array. That makes all of my favorite characters fall into the category that you name above(rolled stats for favorite characters) and none of my characters fall into the fabricated category you name above(doesn't roll stats in front of the DM).

You should avoid makes easily refuted claims like that.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
They weremt rolled though. Npcs in d&d core literature actually do use prescribed methods of stat creation without chamce involved. This is actually known. I hadnt until recently noticed the power creep in the prescribed ability arrays though. Its well above elite array now.
Those are just examples. That’s not how every NPC has to be. You are not breaking a rule by not using the stats in the monster manual or PHB or dmg for an npc.

Those are just examples. That’s not how every NPC has to be. You are not breaking a rule by not using the stats in the monster manual or PHB or dmg for an npc.
I know. But the example implies normality relevant to scale. So the "normal npc" is way more sparkly than the pc's normal shine. Therefore i can understand the rationale of going all king louis on the npcs.

Remove ads