D&D 5E Is character creation at higher levels quick/easy or slow/complex?

Is 5e character creation at higher levels (e.g. 8th level) quick/easy or slow/complex? (select one)

• Slow and complex - and I wish that Sidekick rules were more integrated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slow and complex - and I wish it used the Playbook model from other RPGs

• Unsure (e.g. haven't played enough higher level D&D or wildly varies by player/group)

Clint_L

Hero
Sorry, I should have specified that I was asking about creating a character, NOT using automated generators or charactermancers that do the work for you.

Sounds like you're saying about 1 hour, give or take, to make a 6th level character in 5e?
If you use DDB, you can make a 6th level character in minutes if you know the game. As others have pointed out, spell casters slow the process down for obvious reasons, making a 5e character is generally pretty easy.

What's the context? Are you asking for a particular reason, like teaching a new player? If so, then specify and we could give more precise answers.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. Leveling up is really not difficult at all. But if by "character creation at higher levels" you mean starting as a high level character, yes that is a lot of character creation work all at once, and frankly, sometimes it's can be too much. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually game to enjoy some high level theory crafting, but I think sometimes when people get excited about a high level one shot they don't really appreciate how much time they're going to have to spend on character building to then briefly play a character they never really mechanically get the hang of.

I don't think the actual character building process needs streamlining, but I do think that inventory could use a rethink. Both giving out a simpler collection of random items players will likely never use at level 1 and having some sort of standard tables for inventory you might have rolling up a higher level character would make life easier. At the very least, and I know this is antithetical to WotC's "magic items are optional" claims, having some suggested tables for numbers and rarities of magic items PCs should have at various levels, along with a rough sense of how much wealth overall, would save groups some stress and time negotiating character creation in campaigns that don't start at very low level. And if that is something already buried somewhere in the DMG or whatever, sure that's fine, but it should really be in the PHB where it can more naturally be a touchstone for groups to work from, under whatever section there is for starting campaigns at higher levels.

Remove ads