• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D 3.5 your first role playing game

Is D&D 3.5 your first experience with a role playing game?

• Yes it is

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • No, I came to it through another non-D&D system.

Votes: 35 7.4%
  • I played previous editions.

Votes: 413 86.8%
  • Something Else (explain below)

Votes: 10 2.1%

glass

(he, him)
I voted something else: I started playing (A)D&D with 2e, but that wasn't my first RPG. That was WFRP (1e).

glass.

Orius

Legend
I playted previous editions of the game before 3.5 came out. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever really played the game with the 3.5 rules.

Orius

Legend
jdrakeh said:
While this poll isn't necessarily representative of the hobby at large, it makes me think that claims of D&D 3.5 brining more new blood into the hobby than any other game past or present may be completely unsubstantiated ad copy. I mean, damn... those numbers on the poll are completely out of whack!

Eh, I wouldn't put too much stock in the numbers for this poll. ENWorld has a lot of grognard regulars, there's a lot of players who've been playing for 20+ years, and also a good deal of players who've been playing 10+ years. So that will easily give large results for the "earlier editions" category.

player 2

First Post
My first RPG was 3.5. I have been playing for about 2 years now. In our grpup, I was the only one new to D&D, but there were 3 other players who had not played D&D in years and came back to it with 3.5, and 1 player who played other RPGs but not D&D before this group started.

genshou

First Post
Free-form all the way, baby. :cool:

I only play 3.5 because there's a good DM whose online game I was invited into by a fellow player in a previous online game. We all know how much I like the revised version (and if you don't, just read my custom title and guess). DM quality matters more to me than edition.

My first rule-dependent role-playing experience is with 1st Edition.

Imret

First Post
I came in via previous editions...one session of 1e and I was hooked on RPGs in general. Of course, that was the last 1e I ever played, since I fell in with a Palladium crowd for a while. Came back for AD&D 2e, avoided the Player's Option books like the plague, moved to 3.0, -nearly- embraced 3.5, and now writing a very heavily altered home rules set.

Blaque

First Post
I started on Werewolf: the Apocalypse 2nd Edition actually. Saw the book at the store, chatted wiht people on RPGs, bought it, read it, and ummm....stuff happened.

DIdn't buy an actual D&D book until I was in a game for like sixth months, and even then, tiw as Unearthed Arcana because I wanted to tweak things to be mroe flexable (was used to ST "fudge it damn it" lack of system support). And I didn't even play a D&D character beyond a single session unitl about three years after I started gaming.

And stuff. Nyarr.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads