• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

• Very satisfied

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • Somewhat satisfied

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Somewhat unsatisfied

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Very unsatisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%

This is the first of a number of polls gauging the overall temperature of the community, and how well they are enjoying the games they play.

This first question is just about how happy you are with the ruleset you regularly use at your table. This question is not about settings, but rather the rules you use to play in whichever setting your group has chosen. If you just switched to something new, that will be in another poll; this is just a gauge on how happy you are with the rules your group most frequently or traditionally uses. If you want to name the ruleset in the comments, feel free, but it's not necessary -- this is just a wide cast on how happy with the ruleset your table uses most often.

Clarification 1: If you are playing multiple systems, rate the one you are 'required' to play due to group pressure, simple inertia or tradition or the system you play most frequently, whichever applies best to your situation.

Clarification 2: this is about how well you personally like the ruleset, not how well your overall group likes the ruleset. If you think everyone else at your table is "satisfied" but you personally are "unsatisfied" please vote unsatisfied! The poll is anonymous, so don't worry about what other folks think.

If you have a more complicated take you want to elaborate on, feel free to comment below!

Last edited:

When we aren't testing Labyrinthian, we usually swap between DCC and Call of Cthulu, with one shots or two shots here and there if we want to try something new.

I wouldn't say there's any real "unsatisfaction" with either one, even if partially despite the new game thats being worked on. They're all different experiences at the end of the day.

niklinna

satisfied?
I'm currently GMing Torg Eternity. The rules have some fun things, but there are plenty more things that regularly snag us. Dice-rolling, even on roll20, is awkward and confusing. Lots of prep required, rules for spellcasters are unsatisfying, and more. Since the system is so obscure I won't go into more here.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I voted somewhat satisfied with my homebrew system. Yes, that probably sounds weird. There’s more work to do, and there are things that need revision. If I were satisfied, then I’d be done working on it. I’m unlikely ever to vote “very satisfied” because I have a tendency to hold myself to impossible standards. 😅

Thinking about other games we played in the past:
  • Blades in the Dark — satisfied
  • Torchbearer 2e, Worlds Without Number — neutral
  • PF2 and 5e — somewhat unsatisfied
  • Stonetop — unsatisfied

I'm between steady games at the moment, but I spent the last few years mostly playing and/or running the Sentinel Comics RPG so I'm using that for my "somewhat satisfied" vote. If all we ever wanted to use the game for was one-shots and two-three month arcs before resetting it would be at least a notch higher. But as-is, it has issues with "long" campaigns (struggling after as little as 30-40 sessions) using the same characters, and that takes it down some.

Pity, it's a pretty great supers system otherwise.
Since the system is so obscure I won't go into more here.
I recall original Torg pretty well, and it was moderately clunky even for back then. How much did Eternity change the mechanics?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Got a question for you regarding definition here and thus how to answer it: does regularly refer to recent experience primarily? I'm wondering because of the last six games I was involved in over the last several years, only two of the campaigns used the same system.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm currently GMing Torg Eternity. The rules have some fun things, but there are plenty more things that regularly snag us. Dice-rolling, even on roll20, is awkward and confusing. Lots of prep required, rules for spellcasters are unsatisfying, and more. Since the system is so obscure I won't go into more here.

Shows my experiences that my reaction was "What's obscure about TORG?" :)

Got a question for you regarding definition here and thus how to answer it: does regularly refer to recent experience primarily? I'm wondering because of the last six games I was involved in over the last several years, only two of the campaigns used the same system.
For purposes of this one, use the system you've played the most frequently in your recent experience. I may do another poll later on new rulesets you are just trying out.

Remove ads