• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

• Very satisfied

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • Somewhat satisfied

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Somewhat unsatisfied

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Very unsatisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%

Thomas Shey

Legend
For purposes of this one, use the system you've played the most frequently in your recent experience. I may do another poll later on new rulesets you are just trying out.

Okay. I wasn't sure because I've probably played more PF2e in the last couple years than anything else, but my last campaign I ran used BASH UE and the one I just started was 13A 1e, and my reactions to all three would probably be slightly different, but I'll use PF2e for my answer here.

niklinna

satisfied?
I recall original Torg pretty well, and it was moderately clunky even for back then. How much did Eternity change the mechanics?
Well the fundamental die roll/chart lookup was kept, and elaborated on (a bit). Cards are still there, but now split into separate Destiny cards for players and initiative cards (and another deck for cosm flavor cards). They broke Possibilities and XP apart, which is good, but character creation involves point-buy rather than XP costing, so there are wonky interactions when somebody joins a group who already have some XP (base rules are that everybody has the same XP; some groups modify that a bit). You assign your starting 16 skill points point-for-point, but it's worth more in XP terms to max out a few at character creation and add +1 to new ones as you play, than it is to spread them around. If you are creating a character who already has XP, it's a no-brainer to do exactly that.

They tried to unify all the special abilties rules by adding "perks" that all cost the same amount of (increasing) XP to buy, but perks vary wildly in power, generality/specificity, frequency of being relevant, and clarity of rules. Your first perk for spellcasting/powers gets you three spells. A few secondary perks grant you 1/2/3 more, usually with a side bennie and/or some constraint. Just taking the spellcasting perk again only gets you one spell, again at increasing XP costs. So, spellcasters have few spells, but they can spam (most of) them at will, risking disconnection at times of course. Very different to most RPGs.

Those are the biggest things that stayed the same or changed.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Satisfied with my regular games. PF1 and Mongoose Traveller 2E.

Recently played systems i'm not crazy about; 5E and PF2. I think 5E is exactly what it needs to be, but im just not who needs to play it. I love Paizo to death, but PF2 is engineered way too tight for my taste. Fine system for folks who want that tho.

I'm currently in two regular groups, one playing Savage Worlds/Sprawlrunners, the other playing Call of Cthulhu 7e/Pulp Cthulhu. I'm satisfied with both, though rules-wise, CoC is a bit closer to somewhat satisfied (I would like to see Chaosium do an 8e, which compresses the skill list and comes with more light-weight chase rules, but overall, it's still ok).

grimmgoose

Adventurer
I have three "regular rulesets" that I cycle through: 5E, Savage Worlds, and Call of Cthulhu.

I'm Unsatisfied with 5E, Very Satisfied with Call of Cthulhu, and Satisfied with Savage Worlds.

I've gone on length about my problems with 5E, so I don't feel the need to repeat any of it, suffice to say I don't think 2024 will do anything to address it.

I think Chaosium is just continually knocking it out of the park with the CoC line. 7E is great (it has some rough spots - the Automatic Fire rules are pretty atrocious) but the mechanics, adventures, and supplements are all A Tier.

I love Savage Worlds - it's probably my favorite system - but it still has some rough spots that I wish weren't there. I wish it didn't rely so much on modifiers; I wish the Companions came out at a quicker clip; I wish the Powers system was more unified (if it requires a Resistance roll or not, for example). Still, it's usually the system I start prepping a campaign for.

Remove ads