• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D 4E too "far out" to expand the market easily?

Obryn

Hero
You'd have no problem with core races called Mugglegrumps and Gadwochits? Talking toasters called Toasterspawn? Sentient biofrisbees named Frisfolk?

How about a magical bucket with arms and legs as a core PHB PC race, called Bucketborn, would they hold water?
You are making absolutely zero sense.

Unless it's "I find Dragonborn and Eladrin to be silly. I have no sense of perspective, so obviously talking toasters - which I also find silly - are equally silly, and if the former are in there, the latter might as well be, too."

-O

Corjay

First Post
You'd have no problem with core races called Mugglegrumps and Gadwochits? Talking toasters called Toasterspawn? Sentient biofrisbees named Frisfolk?

How about a magical bucket with arms and legs as a core PHB PC race, called Bucketborn, would they hold water?
ROFL. This just moved into the realm of the ridiculously bizarre.
dyinglaughter.gif

Sorry, man. I'm losing respect for you by the second.

rounser

First Post
Unless it's "I find Dragonborn and Eladrin to be silly. I have no sense of perspective, so obviously talking toasters - which I also find silly - are equally silly, and if the former are in there, the latter might as well be, too."
It was reductio ad absurdum, but there's a very large kernel of truth there that you pro-4E guys are failing to acknowledge and are pretending is a non-issue.

Corjay

First Post
It was reductio ad absurdum, but there's a very large kernel of truth there that you pro-4E guys are failing to acknowledge and are pretending is a non-issue.
OMG. A name IS a non-issue. I don't even know why I even bothered arguing it with you now. Especially now that I know the logic that was guiding it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

The point is that Dragonborn and Tieflings work for me. Toasterspawn* would not. Thus, your "reductio ad absurdum" is pointless.

*) unless the Toasterspawn would look like this
CylonCenturion.jpg

Nice Warforged variant...

rounser

First Post
Dude, it's rounser. He hates 4e. That's all you need to know.
Yeah, whatever flag-waver. In actual fact I hugely admire quite a lot of it, and am entirely sympathetic as to how the current design became that way, because it appeals to my symmetry-loving semi-aspergers logical geek side. Some of it's genius, and a lot of it looks like ideas I've championed in the past.

There's just a lot of bad flavour in the core hitching a ride with that well designed crunch, too much for me to overcome.

rounser

First Post
OMG. A name IS a non-issue.
Then we really don't have any common ground. To say that suggests that you don't understand language, nor connotation, nor thematic imagery...or at least don't consider these things important.

Corjay

First Post
ROFL. Now you're going for a personal attack. You're so smooth. I just can't compete. You're like Dorf on logic.
smiley-laughing.gif

ROFL. I'm dyin'! ROFL.

Obryn

Hero
No, on the contrary, I don't care that much for dragonborn (and hated them in 3.5), and I haven't cared at all for tieflings since they were introduced back in Planescape.

As for gnomes, I've thought they were kind of an awkward race ever since 1e. They're a freaky add-on to a list of basic Tolkienish races, and are only considered "basic" on virtue of them being in the game for 30 years. If I were to guess, over the life of D&D, there were fewer gnomes played than any other race. That's certainly been my experience, since the early 80's.

I love half-orcs. Since I get full orcs in 4e, I'm pretty okay with their absence - but still, I miss 'em. I wouldn't call them a basic fantasy race, either, but at least they're vaguely Tolkienish with the Orc connection.

On the other hand, my players - who range from pretty casual to very experienced - thought tieflings and dragonborn were pretty cool. I have one of each in the party. One of my players even thought the Gnome was cool, and is playing a Gnome ranger.

I don't care for the new races. I don't think it's an apocalypse.

-O

Remove ads