• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D 4E too "far out" to expand the market easily?

GnomeWorks

Adventurer

Aw... are you talking about me, or good ol' Stevens? I hope you're talking about Stevens.

Maggan said:
Probably from people who are old enough to be your dad. To me, a 39 years old gamer, 21 is young.

...I know. And I don't like 4e, and no one my age that I know likes 4e.

So I'm confused as to where the whole "it appeals to the younger generation" is coming from. Because, from where I'm standing - from within said younger generation - that just isn't so.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
You miss his point, I think. I believe he meant to illustrate that he is young and that he hates D&D, therefore the idea that D&D 4e appeals to young people is balderdash. Of course, what's really balderdash is the idea that his anecdotal experience is somehow representative of the entire age demographic is balderdash.

I see. So we're going to go at it, then.

Well, put up your dukes.

First off, I did not use the word "hate." Let's try to tone down the emotional content of this thread, yeah?

Is my experience representative of the entire generation? No, probably not. But it doesn't appeal to anyone my age that I know. It's more a question of, why do they think it will appeal more to people my age, when my experience says it doesn't?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
That last image is not Grandma-friendly, Corjay! :eek:

[Edit: Gnomeworks, the "Fail!" was in reference to the "in the tubes" meme, not being funny (it's not offensive, mind you, it's just not funny).]

[Re-Edit: Corjay, not Grandma-friendly is a violation of the forum rules, which is what I meant to point out. Merely stating that a link is not Grandma-friendly doesn't get around that, so far as I know.]

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
Don't let fluff stand in the way of a good game!
It's more deeply ingrained than that. There's the healing surges*, and the fruity powers that leave flavour as an afterthought, the dragonborn staring up at me from the artwork, random stuff like jailers being evil, the arbitrary alignments left over from the older game, the existence of warlords which actively piss me off at how much hubris and no right to exist they have...the whole package is too incohesive, such that I don't want to work for this game. The illusion isn't good enough.

*Why couldn't they have just called a second wind something like "luck"? Run out of luck and you die. Spend some luck to get hit points back. "Healing surge" suggests exactly what you shouldn't be thinking about when trying to envision how the hit point pool works, that wounds magically seal over due to a burst of energy. I can buy that the PCs are somehow Heroes of Destiny and therefore have more luck than their opponents, something like that would float, but what they've come up with seems half-baked.

Last edited:

It's more deeply ingrained than that. There's the healing surges*, and the fruity powers that leave flavour as an afterthought, the dragonborn staring up at me from the artwork, random stuff like jailers being evil, the arbitrary alignments left over from the older game, the existence of warlords which actively piss me off at how much hubris and no right to exist they have...the whole package is too incohesive, such that I don't want to work for this game. The illusion isn't good enough.

*Why couldn't they have just called a second wind something like "luck"? Run out of luck and you die. Spend some luck to get hit points back. "Healing surge" suggests exactly what you shouldn't be thinking about when trying to envision how the hit point pool works, that wounds magically seal over due to a burst of energy. I can buy that the PCs are somehow Heroes of Destiny and therefore have more luck than their opponents, something like that would float, but what they've come up with seems half-baked.
I can only reiterate what I said:
Do not let fluff get in the way of a good game!
If you have to, paint all Dragonborn images over with black. Rename Healing Surges to "Luck". Rip out alignments!
People are tinkering with games all the time! And tinkering with fluff is a lot less "harmful" to the game balance and playability then anything else!

Off course, if 3E (or any other game system) still works for you, don't let a new edition stand in the way of a good game.

random stuff like jailers being evil
Huh? What are you referring to?

rounser

First Post
Rip out alignments!
Actually, I quite like alignments. A Good-Unaligned-Evil system would suit me fine, so "Rip out LG and CE!" would be more accurate in my case. What they've done in just cleaving 4/9ths of it away seems rather random. If they're gonna gut Chaos and Law (and it did indeed have it coming), at least get the job done, don't leave it there bleeding.

Last edited:

Remove ads