D&D 5E Is D&D 90% Combat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to Cubicle 7’s announcement that their next Doctor Who role playing game would be powered by D&D 5E, there was a vehement (and in some places toxic) backlash on social media. While that backlash has several dimensions, one element of it is a claim that D&D is mainly about combat.

Head of D&D Ray Winninger disagreed (with snark!), tweeting "Woke up this morning to Twitter assuring me that [D&D] is "ninety percent combat." I must be playing (and designing) it wrong." WotC's Dan Dillon also said "So guess we're gonna recall all those Wild Beyond the Witchlight books and rework them into combat slogs, yeah? Since we did it wrong."

So, is D&D 90% combat?

And in other news, attacking C7 designers for making games is not OK.

@Oofta

Could you describe the game portion of your play within the following contextual boundaries?

1) How many consequential moments of mechanical action resolution occur within the confines of a session (I’m talking framed obstacle > Player navigatedecision-point and deploys means to resolve obstacle > not say yes, not say no, but mechanical resolution > significantly changed gamestate as output).

2) How much of the overall trajectory of play in your campaign to date is derivative of 1) above; most, a lot, some, or a little?

3) Advancement is consensus-based and not derivative of game, correct (given what you’ve just said above)? What about the inverse? How often do characters deal with non-death fallout? When they do, is that derivative of game or is it similar to Advancement (eg when the tables reaches consensus on pacing or “the story” feels right)? If it’s negotiated consensus, what informs the reasoning for this choice vs that choice?

4) How much of any given session’s play trajectory is some combination of free play + negotiated consensus as you’ve described for Advancement above; most, a lot, some, or a little? To whatever degree it’s free play + negotiated consensus, what informs the reasoning for this choice vs that choice?

Oofta

Legend
Before I answer any questions I just want to make something clear. Yes, leveling is awesome. But ... I view it as mostly just a way to tell different stories. At low levels you're dealing with street gangs at high levels you're dealing with ancient dragons, arch-demons and Cthulhu wannabes.

@Oofta

Could you describe the game portion of your play within the following contextual boundaries?

1) How many consequential moments of mechanical action resolution occur within the confines of a session (I’m talking framed obstacle > Player navigatedecision-point and deploys means to resolve obstacle > not say yes, not say no, but mechanical resolution > significantly changed gamestate as output).

By mechanical you mean rolling dice? Or decisions made by the PCs? Well, if up to half my game is combat (I honestly don't really know, I don't time it and it varies wildly) then for the former probably 55%. Maybe? Dice rolls for various things come up, mostly in sort-of-skill-challenges scenes but many things are just straight RP.

2) How much of the overall trajectory of play in your campaign to date is derivative of 1) above; most, a lot, some, or a little?

If we're talking mechanical resolution, very little. How goals are achieved may be more or less difficult, while I try to avoid loose ends or dead ends sometimes allies are won/lost enemies are made/defeated/avoided. But a lot of that is through RP.

For example if the group is tracking down a murder, there may be clues that would give them a leg up. Find the clue, follow the lead and they have a chance to surprise the murderer or prevent further tragedy. Fail and more people may die, the murderer may ambush the group, any number of options depending on the scenario. There have been critical moments when fate was decided by the roll of the dice, usually multiple rolls of the dice, along with decisions being made. But it's rare.

3) Advancement is consensus-based and not derivative of game, correct (given what you’ve just said above)? What about the inverse? How often do characters deal with non-death fallout? When they do, is that derivative of game or is it similar to Advancement (eg when the tables reaches consensus on pacing or “the story” feels right)? If it’s negotiated consensus, what informs the reasoning for this choice vs that choice?
Failure happens, less-than-optimal outcomes happen. Sometimes the murderer gets away, sometimes the nemesis I was setting up gets tromped on because they were clever or lucky. Sometimes they make a deal with the devil and the fine print comes back to haunt them later.

The players are not dictating the story per se, they are telling me what their PCs are saying and doing. The interaction of the PCs with the world is what matters.

4) How much of any given session’s play trajectory is some combination of free play + negotiated consensus as you’ve described for Advancement above; most, a lot, some, or a little? To whatever degree it’s free play + negotiated consensus, what informs the reasoning for this choice vs that choice?
I would say the majority is decided by free play, actions and decisions of the PCs. I do a sort-of-sandbox campaign. I provide leads, drop hints, set up scenarios but the group always decides what they want to do. I set up something similar to chapters, small story arcs. When one chapter ends I give the group options of what they can do next and they can always suggest something themselves.

I almost always have more going on than the group can deal with and the world goes on whether they interact with things or not.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

On the subject of XP; it is possible to earn XP through non combat means. A combination of people ignoring/not noticing this has lead to earning XP largely through combat. If a devil challenges you to a fiddling contest and you out play them, then you should earn the same XP then as if you slayed it in a fight. You can also grant XP when objectives are completed. Adventures in the old Dungeon magazine gave more examples of this, and the Pathfinder SRD also discusses it. And don't forget gold for XP in the oldin' games.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
On the subject of XP; it is possible to earn XP through non combat means. A combination of people ignoring/not noticing this has lead to earning XP largely through combat. If a devil challenges you to a fiddling contest and you out play them, then you should earn the same XP then as if you slayed it in a fight. You can also grant XP when objectives are completed. Adventures in the old Dungeon magazine gave more examples of this, and the Pathfinder SRD also discusses it. And don't forget gold for XP in the oldin' games.
Yes you can. But if the devil challenges you to a fiddle contest he probably wasn't going to fight you anyways. You don't get exp for slaying a dragon just because one in a humanoid suit hired you or have you a reward I think the it's the same as if killed often gets stretched too much when described & it leads to it being didcsrded

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
In response to Cubicle 7’s announcement that their next Doctor Who role playing game would be powered by D&D 5E, there was a vehement (and in some places toxic) backlash on social media. While that backlash has several dimensions, one element of it is a claim that D&D is mainly about combat.

Head of D&D Ray Winninger disagreed (with snark!), tweeting "Woke up this morning to Twitter assuring me that [D&D] is "ninety percent combat." I must be playing (and designing) it wrong." WotC's Dan Dillon also said "So guess we're gonna recall all those Wild Beyond the Witchlight books and rework them into combat slogs, yeah? Since we did it wrong."

So, is D&D 90% combat?

And in other news, attacking C7 designers for making games is not OK.

Here's the best personal example I can give about D&D being 100% up to the players and DM when it comes to the amount of combat:

So in our current campaign, during the second session, I abducted the party and left them underground in essentially a testing arena for the pirates who they are first wanted to join and would later deliciously betray for this.

The first group they run across, there's a pack of zombies, a zombie ogre, and some death knights. Things were looking scary but a player could speak Undead and after some very fun RP the group not only let them pass, but the ogre befriended them, and even surprised them by becoming a second PC later on.

Their next encounter? An ogre who was victorious against another group of undead, with a narrow passage leading into the wider room within which he stood. The players fought him at range while he pummeled the passage. Then the enraged and nearly dead ogre caved it in on himself and half the party, forcing a player to make death saving throws while another finished the ogre off and another frantically tried to save her in time, what with her trapped under rubble.

In neither of those cases did a real combat happen, the first was pure rp and the second was more rp than combat. So I look at people talking this way about D&D and I think wtf? Have people heard of variety? Who's running nothing but standard combat every time?

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
I think some people are unable to understand encounters where there is no clear predefined "win" or "lose" states.

Definitely, there are players and DMs who are that way. In D&D everyone wins, every session, because the point is to have fun and the only failure state is not having fun.

The players "winning" or "losing" makes it into a situation where there is some level of antagonism between the players and the DM, which is strange and doesn't work or make sense. The DM is a player too, and the whole reason he/she has prepared a session is to have fun with his friends.

So while it's understandable that people may struggle a little at figuring out how to run lots of encounters like that, they are definitely missing out on a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases