• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D/D20 Childish and Immature?

Zappo

Explorer
*shrug*

I guess it's a matter of taste, and I'm fine with that. What I really don't get is the sheer hatred of the concept that I occasionally meet. I've seen the war being described as anything from "nonsensical" to "stupid" through much less polite adjectives, often in the same post, without much explanation.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

LOL! Psion--can I make a confession?:)

Jennifer Lopez is a quasi-divine goddess, and I would drink her bathwater!:)

In another lifetime, were I not happily married, I would be first in line to be her love-slave!:)

Her music is good, but damn---she's beautiful!:)

I now return you to your regular scheduled programme.

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
SHARK said:
Greetings!

LOL! Psion--can I make a confession?:)

Jennifer Lopez is a quasi-divine goddess, and I would drink her bathwater!:)

In another lifetime, were I not happily married, I would be first in line to be her love-slave!:)

Her music is good, but damn---she's beautiful!:)

Get in line! I agree with these sentiments. Jennifer Lopez is unbelievably good-looking. Too bad she's only been in a couple of decent movies - Out of Sight being the best of these.

But man, that photo shoot of her with the angel wings? Holy smoke...

Hawkshere

First Post
I completely agree with Psions "piggyback hatred" theory, although I've always thought of it as a kind of "taint" psychology. Kind of a Six Degress of [insert your fave bugaboo here] thing.

The most rational objection to the Blood War I've seen is that it's a clumsy narrative handwave to explain why the infinite hordes of fiends don't overrun the prime material (because they't too busy jacking with themselves). Again, strictly a matter of taste. I personally never had any major problem with it, but it never really interested me either. In any case, its a small subset of Planescape, which is much, much greater than the sum of its parts.

For anyone looking for a taste of Planescape, the Torment PC game has been repacked for discount. You can now find it in the US at most retail stores in a double-game package for $10.

Darn tangents! /bonk :p

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
I really like the idea of the Blood War.

LE vs CE ideologies competing against each other for supremacy is an excellent cosmology. Each force trying to undermine the other, while at the same time warring against the Upper Planes and infiltrating the Material Plane, is a believable and plausible way of manifesting alignments and beliefs in a physical form.

Others may not agree, but to each his own ice cream flavor... ;)
On an opposite note, I don't think the Blood War is the only way to describe a working cosmology, and other explanations fit other worlds better than the idea of the Blood War. OA, for example, does not mesh well with this cosmology.

Also, IMO, the Blood War (and the planes in general) tend to detract from the material plane. This tends to belittle the worldly accomplishments of the PCs, as celestials and devils and demons duke it out for control of the multiverse. Sometimes it's better just to limit the scope of a campaign to one world and one history.
Oh yeah...

Jennifer Lopez is one of the reasons I am constantly amazed by the wonders of the female form.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
kenjib said:
JLo looked much better when she actually had a big butt. When she hit superstar status she trimmed down, unfortunately.

I still wouldn't quite say, "My anaconda don't want none..."

Butt I digress.

:D

Feliath

First Post
Abysmal embarrassment

Joshua Dyal said:

I think you're referring to Achilles here, not Ajax.

:eek: Yes. Yes, I am. I blame this flub on five cups of tea combined with the fact that it was rather late in my part of the world, when I wrote that. Still, though: :eek:
*turns deep red*

Although I don't know how well it applies to any games I've ever seen, more's the pity.

Well, my point is mostly that a game having rules for high-powered characters doesn't automatically mean that that game is less mature, just that it's geared toward telling different stories. Personally, I don't think stories become intrinsincally better from the fact that any three-year-old girl can gut you like a fish with a wooden spoon.

I doubt D&D has a higher percentage of "munchkin" (me not like term. See language eloquence given by D&D ;) ) gamers. I think it's simply that since more people play D&D than any other RPG out there, so there's a larger numeric amount of D&D munchkins, making them more visible.
Also, since D&D is often a portal game, of course it's often subject to the old "I've transcended my childish beginnings" bull.

/Feliath

Zappo

Explorer
ConcreteBuddha said:
On an opposite note, I don't think the Blood War is the only way to describe a working cosmology, and other explanations fit other worlds better than the idea of the Blood War. OA, for example, does not mesh well with this cosmology.
Right. God forbid that every D&D world ever created be stuck with just one cosmology!
Also, IMO, the Blood War (and the planes in general) tend to detract from the material plane.
That's because Planescape doesn't really have that much use for the material plane. It's the reason for which I always suggest not to use Planescape as the cosmology for another setting. It does the job poorly. It's supposed to be used stand-alone.
Jennifer Lopez is one of the reasons I am constantly amazed by the wonders of the female form.
Me too. :D

Remove ads