D&D 5E Is Descent to Avernus a sequal to Baldur's Gate?

I started playing Baldur's gate and when I got to siege of dragonspear and started gating serious deja vue.

Then I pulled out Descent into Avernus and while not a perfect match, it feels like a sequal to it.

Is this true or just wierd conjecture?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I started playing Baldur's gate and when I got to siege of dragonspear and started gating serious deja vue.

Then I pulled out Descent into Avernus and while not a perfect match, it feels like a sequal to it.

Is this true or just wierd conjecture?
Are there NPCs in common? I think it’s blatantly a sequel.

pukunui

Legend
I wouldn't call it a sequel so much as a story set in the same location that takes place later and makes a few references to prior events.

Everything to do with Baldur's Gate in the adventure is tacked on and can pretty handily be ignored (or used for something else). Nothing that happens in Avernus has anything to do with Minsc, the Bhaalspawn, and the like.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I wouldn't call it a sequel so much as a story set in the same location that takes place later and makes a few references to prior events.

Everything to do with Baldur's Gate in the adventure is tacked on and can pretty handily be ignored (or used for something else). Nothing that happens in Avernus has anything to do with Minsc, the Bhaalspawn, and the like.
That’s fair, though I’d say that still counts as a sequel of a kind. Perhaps a new installment in the same franchise, if we must quibble.

pukunui

Legend
That’s fair, though I’d say that still counts as a sequel of a kind. Perhaps a new installment in the same franchise, if we must quibble.
A sequel is a work that continues the narrative of a preceding work. The Baldur’s Gate II game is a sequel of Baldur’s Gate I. The D&D Next adventure could be considered a sequel of the preceding computer games since it directly continues the narrative involving the Bhaalspawn.

Descent into Avernus, however, tells a completely different story. It refers to events in the aforementioned games and adventure but does not continue their narrative.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A sequel is a work that continues the narrative of a preceding work. The Baldur’s Gate II game is a sequel of Baldur’s Gate I. The D&D Next adventure could be considered a sequel of the preceding computer games since it directly continues the narrative involving the Bhaalspawn.

Descent into Avernus, however, tells a completely different story. It refers to events in the aforementioned games and adventure but does not continue their narrative.
in other words, Captain America Civil War is not a sequel to Antman :)

Davies

Legend
I'd say that it's more of a sequel to the novelization thereof, since it features (briefly) Abdel Adrian.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Let's also not forget that the Baldur's Gate video game takes place in 1368 DR and Descent Into Avernus in 1492 DR. So it's harder to think of one being a sequel to the other with 124 years worth of Baldur's Gate history that happened between them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases