D&D 5E Is disarming broken in D&D 5e?

Mercule

Adventurer
IME with mock sword fighting, disarming is incredibly effective if it works. That's a huge if, though, and can have as much to do with the weapons as the wielders. A bastard sword is pretty effective in disarming a rapier just because of the way the blades channel the shock/weight, but the rapier is quick enough to get out of the way, most of the time. A dagger is actually pretty hard to disarm because it's a short lever, but using daggers against real swords is a dicey proposition because you must spend a lot of time parrying to get in close enough to attack -- and there a misstep is more likely to result in severed fingers or hands (broken, if using wooden weapons; but, I almost lost the tip of a finger to a wooden long sword) than a disarm. Unless you want an incredibly complex, swashbuckling focused game, the rules are not going to really do disarming justice.

Disarming is generally the end of a fight, unless the other guy is an extremely cool customer. It means 1) you've warn him down, 2) you've caught him off guard, or 3) you outclass him enough to be able to play. The rules in the DMG handle #3 pretty well, since the DC would be your attack roll. The suggested option of letting disarm be a non-lethal "killing blow" covers #1 almost perfectly. Scenarios for #2 are going to fall into that squishy complexity that probably isn't worth too much effort; things like the Battle Master maneuver work well enough, though.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Many weapon using creatures will carry a backup; like a dagger. So they'll lose some damage but hardly be "totally emasculated".

An orc chieftain gets disarmed, losing his 1d12 great axe.

He pulls out a 1d4 dagger.

His damage potential just took a huge battle long hit.

And in 5e, damage is the only thing he's really going to be doing anyway.

That's pretty freaking emasculated.

Patrick McGill

First Post
An orc chieftain gets disarmed, losing his 1d12 great axe.

He pulls out a 1d4 dagger.

His damage potential just took a huge battle long hit.

And in 5e, damage is the only thing he's really going to be doing anyway.

That's pretty freaking emasculated.

Sounds to me like a great tactic to use on those nasty brutes. I don't have the Monster Manual in front of me, but does the Orc Chieftain have a good Strength (Athletics) bonus?

practicalm

Explorer
No one mentioned having one of your party with Mage Hand drag the weapon away after it has been dropped. More fun if you move it 30' up so they cannot run over and take it from the hand.

Patrick McGill

First Post
It's a tactic so good you should always do it.

It's a fighter save or suck spell.

Well, as written, the Orc could just pick it back up again no problem if you have no contingency once it's been dropped. I don't think it's overblown. You'd need to disarm him, get the weapon away from him (or him away from the weapon). And, he could always just grab the battleaxe of a peon that's next to him. I'm sure the orc wouldn't mind his chief borrowing his dwarf-decapitator.

Last edited:

Remove ads