D&D 5E Is Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden the New D&D Adventure?

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden! I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I was cc'd into a Tweet by Navy DM on Twitter who says they found it on Reddit.

Feel the cold touch of death in this adventure for the world's greatest role playing game.

UPDATE -- the awesome Geek Native ran the small cover screenshot through an image enhancing application, to create the larger image below.

iw_frostmaiden.jpg

There's a post here on Reddit which says "The DnD Beyond YouTube channel posted a trailer for a new book, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, then immediately deleted it." The post has been removed since. I found the above image posted by somebody called smightmight, who looks like they screen grabbed it from the video before it was removed.

The Frostmaiden is one of the names of Auril, an evil goddess in the Forgotten Realms. You can read more about her on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Rime is ice which forms from water droplets on surfaces.

An Icewind Dale setting was the current favourite guess for the location of the new D&D adventure based on various hints from WotC, including this snowy owlbear t-shirt!

0B449D65-06ED-4295-8752-AA3A8023228C.png

(thanks to Pixellance for pointing me at this!)

Last edited:

I am a bit disapointed to see Icewind Dale as I would have much prefered a planar adventure. As usual, I'll get it anways as the collector in me wouldn't be happy not to have it. But a planar AP would have been nice. FR, though fun, should stay on hold for a while. A few AP in Eberron would have been nice too.
Get transported to the Plane of Cold. You would not have actually moved anyway though. Saves on travel fares. But you still get to experience death.

Would mean actually coming up with new adventures. Instead of "reimagning" the old. And riding on nostalgia.
The nostalgia was mainly about the type of adventures and not necessarily remaking old adventures. The remakes are mainly to show us how it could have been done. I had done Saltmarsh almost two years prior to WotC treatment of it. I crave new adventures, not updated ones.

The nostalgia was mainly about the type of adventures and not necessarily remaking old adventures. The remakes are mainly to show us how it could have been done. I had done Saltmarsh almost two years prior to WotC treatment of it. I crave new adventures, not updated ones.
Hence my comment. Wizards will keep remaking. Because it is easier. And will guarantee interest.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I am a bit disapointed to see Icewind Dale as I would have much prefered a planar adventure. As usual, I'll get it anways as the collector in me wouldn't be happy not to have it. But a planar AP would have been nice. FR, though fun, should stay on hold for a while. A few AP in Eberron would have been nice too.

But they did a planar AP last year. I didn't think they'd do two in a row (though maybe you end up in the Paraelemental Plane of Ice or Pandemonium in this one).

jgsugden

Legend
And if the term is misused by the creators themselves? Im talking about dozens of official TSR/WotC products over the decades with multiple definitions of the term.
You've got a point - I looked back to the Grey Box.

While the Realms are now an amalgamation of contributions from thousands of people, the basic definitions come from Ed and his setting. The very first (commercial product) definition that I am aware of comes from the Grey Box Cyclopedia of the Realms, which, on page 81 defines the Sword Coast as "the western shore of Faerun, running from Candlekeep and the Cloak Wood in the South, to Luskan in the north." (Lack of editing theirs). This would include Waterdeep, and Neverwinter, where most recent sources end the Sword Coast South of Waterdeep.

Last edited:

But they did a planar AP last year. I didn't think they'd do two in a row (though maybe you end up in the Paraelemental Plane of Ice or Pandemonium in this one).
Avenus was barely touching the planes. A planar adventure does not limit itself to one plane. Planar hopping from one plane to the other is pretty much required for a planar adventure. It's just my opinion though.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Planar hopping from one plane to the other is pretty much required for a planar adventure. It's just my opinion though.

Honest question: does this type of adventure is really that common and popular? I see it everyday on Reddit, the notion that we need some material for planes hoping adventures, but like, I havent been playing D&D for a long time (10 years, give or take) and I've never encountered many DMs running plane hoping campaign. Even looking at the published stuff, adventures where the players keep switching between planes is quite rare.

Is this an internet thing, like the one where, if you go on reddit or other forum, you get the impression that psionics are a really huge part of D&D and Darksun is the most loved and desired setting? Or is it just my group and I that are really missing a huge part of ''playing D&D'' by not having much of planar stuff in our games?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases