D&D 5E Is Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden the New D&D Adventure?

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden! I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I was cc'd into a Tweet by Navy DM on Twitter who says they found it on Reddit.

Feel the cold touch of death in this adventure for the world's greatest role playing game.

UPDATE -- the awesome Geek Native ran the small cover screenshot through an image enhancing application, to create the larger image below.

iw_frostmaiden.jpg

There's a post here on Reddit which says "The DnD Beyond YouTube channel posted a trailer for a new book, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, then immediately deleted it." The post has been removed since. I found the above image posted by somebody called smightmight, who looks like they screen grabbed it from the video before it was removed.

The Frostmaiden is one of the names of Auril, an evil goddess in the Forgotten Realms. You can read more about her on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Rime is ice which forms from water droplets on surfaces.

An Icewind Dale setting was the current favourite guess for the location of the new D&D adventure based on various hints from WotC, including this snowy owlbear t-shirt!

0B449D65-06ED-4295-8752-AA3A8023228C.png

(thanks to Pixellance for pointing me at this!)

Last edited:

Honest question: does this type of adventure is really that common and popular? I see it everyday on Reddit, the notion that we need some material for planes hoping adventures, but like, I havent been playing D&D for a long time (10 years, give or take) and I've never encountered many DMs running plane hoping campaign. Even looking at the published stuff, adventures where the players keep switching between planes is quite rare.

Is this an internet thing, like the one where, if you go on reddit or other forum, you get the impression that psionics are a really huge part of D&D and Darksun is the most loved and desired setting? Or is it just my group and I that are really missing a huge part of ''playing D&D'' by not having much of planar stuff in our games?
Some players want to kick down dungeon doors. Some players want to kick down doors to the Planes. Then kick down the Planes.

You might be surprised at how many planar adventures we did in previous editions. Planescape in particular, brought planar adventure to low level characters with a nice twist. A lot of "planar" monsters in 5ed are of a sufficiently low CR to build such adventures but I must admit that the varirety would be a bit lacking at some point if you do not have the MToF and the VGtM. A planar book would add a lot more to variety and even if I could simply adapt whatever monster I might fancy from previous editions, I'd much prefer to have something official.

ddaley

Explorer
Honest question: does this type of adventure is really that common and popular? I see it everyday on Reddit, the notion that we need some material for planes hoping adventures, but like, I havent been playing D&D for a long time (10 years, give or take) and I've never encountered many DMs running plane hoping campaign. Even looking at the published stuff, adventures where the players keep switching between planes is quite rare.

Is this an internet thing, like the one where, if you go on reddit or other forum, you get the impression that psionics are a really huge part of D&D and Darksun is the most loved and desired setting? Or is it just my group and I that are really missing a huge part of ''playing D&D'' by not having much of planar stuff in our games?

I have been playing D&D since the early 80s and have never gone to another plane in the game. But, we never tried Dark Sun (I really know almost nothing about it... though am kind of interested in finding out more about it now). Psionics have been around for a long time, but, our group never used them. The players always rolled at character creation to see if they had the ability, but, never succeeded. Even if they had succeeded, the DM probably would have quashed it. They didn't want to deal with it.

How is this new book a remake? Simply because it is set in the Realms? I doubt it is a remake of Crystal Shard... which I believe was written for Next. That was actually my first experience playing in this part of the Realms.
My comment is not in reply to this adventure. It is in response to adventures for the settings brought out. Read the comment chain.

ddaley

Explorer
My comment is not in reply to this adventure. It is in response to adventures for the settings brought out. Read the comment chain.

I have read through most of this thread. There are multiple dialogs going on, so it's easy to lose track of who said what and when. However, I would like to see even more remakes. I wouldn't mind seeing remakes of Planescape and Dark Sun etc. I have only recently become interested in reading more about those settings. Honestly, for me, they don't have to remake these, but rather make PoDs available on dmsguild would be sufficient. I dislike reading PDFs like the plague. Even DnD Beyond adaptations would be fine.

What WotC really should do is spin up a team who's only function is to update some of the old material to 5e. That would free up the core team to work on new material. They are kind of using Goodman Games for that role, but Goodman Games only has so much bandwidth. And, I am not sure if they have as much interest in updating material for these other settings.

We tried playing Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars... and we liked it for the most part. But, I couldn't get over the zoned combat mechanic. It seemed messy
Never tried it. D6 did it well, didn't see any point in buying into another system (and Fantasy Flight stuff is expensive).

We made a couple of short visits to other planes (Feywild, Carceri) in our most recent campaign. I did a full on new plane every session game in the 80s.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases