D&D 5E Is It Impossible To Benefit From 'One With Shadows'?

the Jester

Legend
I was wondering how being invisible without being 'hidden' (because you didn't use an action to Hide) interacts with Perception/Stealth.

I'll speak to how I run it.

If you're invisible but not hidden, creatures that are close to you can pinpoint where you are. They can attack you (albeit with disadvantage). If you're hidden, they don't even know where you are and can attack a place, hoping you're there. In this case, they have disadvantage, but even if they roll a 20, they have to be targeting the right spot or they miss.

Mirtek

Hero
So if a warlock is alone in a dimly lit room and turns on this invisibility but does not hide. Does a creature that walks into the room 2 minutes laterimmediately know that there is an invisible warlock standing in the room? Even if not knowing that the warlock was in the room before? He's not hidden after all.

Fanaelialae

Legend
So if a warlock is alone in a dimly lit room and turns on this invisibility but does not hide. Does a creature that walks into the room 2 minutes laterimmediately know that there is an invisible warlock standing in the room? Even if not knowing that the warlock was in the room before? He's not hidden after all.

It would be up to the DM of course, but by RAW yes, the creature would be aware of him. Of course, it's a non-issue if the walock hides first and then becomes invisible. The hide action could be seen as him erasing any tracks he's left and perhaps consciously taking control of his breathing to make certain he isn't breathing too loudly).

Xeviat

Hero
Does the Hide action make you hidden until not? Or do you have to keep using the hide action every round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course. He hears loud breathing. Also the warlock hums a tune semiconsciously. He is leaving a footprint in the earth. So yes, maybe someone is around. In this case passive investigation may help you concluding that there is someone standing around invisibly at this exact place.

If he is in an area of silence standing on solid stone and an air genasi not breathing at all... no chance at all to detect him.
As soon as the warlock says that he wants to find a place where he can stand still without leaving footprints it is an action to hide. Let him roll exactly at this point. Maybe it is an intelligence check instead of a dex check. investigation or stealth would be added. Then you become invisible without leaving a trace. That order of operation is the way to go.

Satyrn

First Post
When DMing, this is where rules get in my way. Of course the warlock is unseen and unnoticed. Now, if one of those NPCs is suspicious or cautious or exceptionally observant (like Sherlock Holmes), they might notice his presence through some measure of investigation.

This is the sort of use this ability seems meant for, hiding in shadows, waiting for the patrolling guards to pass along before you sneak deeper into the castle, eavesdropping on a conversation, etc. It seems like it just ought to flat out work without resorting to dice.

I would have done this in 3e and 4e, too.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Does the Hide action make you hidden until not? Or do you have to keep using the hide action every round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes you hidden until something makes you not hidden. Things that would make you not hidden include an enemy making a successful Perception check against you and calling out your location, you making an attack or casting a non-subtle spell, you shouting, or you losing the conditions for being able to hide (such as if the wall you are hiding behind is disintegrated).

When DMing, this is where rules get in my way. Of course the warlock is unseen and unnoticed. Now, if one of those NPCs is suspicious or cautious or exceptionally observant (like Sherlock Holmes), they might notice his presence through some measure of investigation.

This is the sort of use this ability seems meant for, hiding in shadows, waiting for the patrolling guards to pass along before you sneak deeper into the castle, eavesdropping on a conversation, etc. It seems like it just ought to flat out work without resorting to dice.

I would have done this in 3e and 4e, too.

I would maybe just ask for checks when the guards are hanging around too long. Maybe constitution+stealth for holding breath and standing still. When it does not beat the passive perception of the guards I may let the first look around for something and not have them autodetect you.

Satyrn

First Post
I would maybe just ask for checks when the guards are hanging around too long. Maybe constitution+stealth for holding breath and standing still. When it does not beat the passive perception of the guards I may let the first look around for something and not have them autodetect you.
Aye, that sounds fun. I'd do the same if it came to mind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases