• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it time for 5E?

Tallifer

Hero
Tactical combat may differ in 4th edition and thus require attention to powers and feats.

However, adventuring in towns, wildernesses and dungeons still require many skills and rituals (which were the non-combat spells of former editions).

Many parties in Fourth Edition have one or two party members who put some effort into learning skills and rituals and even acquiring magical and non-magical items for all the various unpredictable activities encountered on the road or in the marketplace.

This has been my experience certainly. Certain players and characters are more combat-oriented. Certain others help the party in more diverse ways.

(By the way I speak not of the one-shot dungeon delves which typify the RPGA. I speak of roleplaying campaigns, in which I think most of us are interested.)

pemerton

Legend
Unless my memory has failed, the two were independent of each other.
Correct. Some times they were gained at the same levels, but each is independent.
Actually, this is a case of memory failure on both your parts.

Oriental Adventures (1985), p 51, chapter headed "Proficiencies":

All characters receive a number of proficiency slots . . . some or all of these can be filled with weapon training. Any that aren't devoted to weapons can be filled with other skills . . .​

Wilderness Survival Guide (1986), p12, under "Table 1: Character Proficiencies":

A weapon proficiency slot can be filled with a nonweapon proficiency . . . but the reverse is not allowed . . .​

That is, it is just as I posted upthread: in 1st ed OA, both weapon and non-weapon proficiencies had to be purchased from a common pool, and in 1st ed "Survival Guide" games, maximising non-weapon proficiencies required trading away weapon proficiencies.

So the fact that feats in 4e cross over between combat and non-combat is not a new feature of the game.

That leaves it an open question whether or not this is a problematic design in general. Too date I haven't found it to be so, in part because the retraining rules give a lot of flexibility to remake a PC as levels are gained and a player wants to change focus/reprioritise.

shadzar

Banned
Banned
Actually, this is a case of memory failure on both your parts.

Oriental Adventures (1985), p 51, chapter headed "Proficiencies":

All characters receive a number of proficiency slots . . . some or all of these can be filled with weapon training. Any that aren't devoted to weapons can be filled with other skills . . .​

Wilderness Survival Guide (1986), p12, under "Table 1: Character Proficiencies":

A weapon proficiency slot can be filled with a nonweapon proficiency . . . but the reverse is not allowed . . .​

That is, it is just as I posted upthread: in 1st ed OA, both weapon and non-weapon proficiencies had to be purchased from a common pool, and in 1st ed "Survival Guide" games, maximising non-weapon proficiencies required trading away weapon proficiencies.

So the fact that feats in 4e cross over between combat and non-combat is not a new feature of the game.

That leaves it an open question whether or not this is a problematic design in general. Too date I haven't found it to be so, in part because the retraining rules give a lot of flexibility to remake a PC as levels are gained and a player wants to change focus/reprioritise.

No it isn't. You initially brought up OA and the DSG and WSG, but lets look
WSG says the use of NWPs are based on DSG....

DSG says it expanded on the OA use of NWPs.

Right now you are in 2 splatbooks, hardcover but splat non the less. Both of these are AD&D1 books.

Now OA was also a splatbook, pretty much its own campaign setting.

So then all of AD&D has 3 moons per planet that guide the use of magic and change it based on the alignment of the caster?

We might as well be saying this. The fact you have to reach out to extremities to get this doesn't make it true of the whole.

Did NWPs exist in AD&D1? Yes obviously, but the problem is they were such corner cases as they didn't exist until 6 years AFTER AD&D came out.

The place where NWPs became common, and still optional, was AD&D2 where they became a part of the PHB.

Fumetti, that was the same in AD&D, where adding a non-weapon prof could be at the cost of adding a weapon prof (in Oriental Adventures, the two came from the same pool of points, and in D/WSG, weapon profs could be spent on non-weapon but not vice versa).

This statement from you isn't entirely true in regards to having to to give up the combat aspect for a non-combat aspect. It just didn't exist for the most part in AD&D1 unless you used one of those special 3 splatbooks.

AD&D2 however is where it was widely used if optioned. Therein then is where best to talk about NWPs "in older editions", rather than talking about them in a special case book like a campaign setting specific one.

Also not so good to say it occured in "AD&D" as AD&D is not one but 4 games, excluding the mountain of settings, depending on if using UA to make a 1.5, and if using a Player's Options game to make a 2.5.

So AD&D didn't do that, OA did, as you initially said.

AD&D2, however, that presented them formally as part of the whole, differed and you did NOT risk a loss of weapon for nonweapon. You couldn't as the NWP system as well the Secondary Skills system was optional.

So as was said the independent systems of AD&D gave the more flexible choices BECAUSE they were independent so that noncombat choices weren't mixed with combat ones, but of two different systems and focuses.

Rather than comparing feats to NWP where they came from, maybe comparing them to feats in 3rd would be best, but then you might again have to look back to AD&D2 where NWP became a actually sub-system the rules accounted for rather than an add-on system the rules did not account for.

But you are right about the cross-over of feats not being new, but that is because 3rd edition that first saw feat did the same thing, did it not?

Last edited:

caudor

Adventurer
5e, sure, why not...
...As for my opinion, its in the works, yeah sure Essentials is the new big thing, but that gives me even more thought that yeah, it's coming. After GenCon last year when they dropped the 'red box' rules, it seemed the WotC folks were waaay too subdued considering they were touting a new product, felt the same way right before 4e dropped. Yeah, it's not scientific, no proof, but call it a gut feeling. If not an actual edition re-boot, SOMETHING big is coming that's got the gang all queasy.

This. I noted DDXP this year seemed...subdued. That's a good word for it.

It is just a gut feeling with me too. The rather sudden cancellations, followed by the designers at DDXP wanting to pause, see where we are at sorta thing . I'm not worried about the game; I'm just puzzled.

Tortoise

First Post
The more I think about it, the more I suspect the early prep work for 5e is getting started. Here's why I say that:

With the hassles they've had on the digital side of things, character builder, monster builder, virtual table, etc, and the negative backlash those problems have caused, it seems to make sense that they would want to be able to launch both a new edition and the corresponding digital capabilities at the same time. That way they avoid the current outcry of a lot of folks that they can't seem to do anything right.

They would still need to be working on the digital stuff for 4e since presumably there will be enough continuity between 4 and 5 that these won't be completely alien to one another.

Now, having said that, I personally feel that although I like 4e, there is a bunch of work to be done to make it better.

I like the monster design from a DM perspective. I've gradually come to the feeling that character design is too bulky and that paring it back some would be a positive. A few nips and tucks here and there would help some more of the lapsed people find their way back as well.

To venture a guess on when 5e might peep out of the developement nest - maybe another few years, 2013 at the earliest, more like 2015 if they really take the time to do it right so as not to shoot themselves in the foot on the digital side of things again.

That also lets them fully test the 4e version of all things digital quite througoughly, especially given it is all 2.5 years behind schedule and not looking to be ready for real use by the masses for possibly another year.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Anyways, there's no new Blizzard IP for us to insultingly compare the new D&D to, so we can't have 5e. At the earliest it's ten years (1 year Blizzard Time) until Diablo 3 if we want to reuse that ;p

Clearly 5e will change things up a bit, and bring back the idea of running your own kingdom/stronghold.

However, due to the success of gamma world, the main 5e line will contain lots of content for sci-fi adventures.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Maybe 5E is already for sale but WOTC has not been able to communicate with us well enough to tell us it is being offered.

Based on the last few months, it is plausible.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
To venture a guess on when 5e might peep out of the developement nest - maybe another few years, 2013 at the earliest, more like 2015 if they really take the time to do it right so as not to shoot themselves in the foot on the digital side of things again.
I admire your optimism, that they'll test it into the ground before release. I hope you're right.

However, past record indicates - at least on the pen-and-paper side - that testing is what we're for: we buy it, we play it, we tell 'em what's wrong, errata follow...

Lan-"the over-under for the first batch of 5e errata is 4 months after release"-efan

Emirikol

Adventurer
Warhammer's a good inspiration, you just rule "you have to have the mini to play the mini" Warhammer mini battles style and sure, take the dice idea from WFRP3. And you'd just have to get rid of the DM. They've been whitting away at the DM's role anyway, and there are GM-less indie games out there that they've probably been following. Once you get rid of the DM then nothing stands in the way of your great collectible dice/mini/card/online combo platter. And adventures, too, expand Encounters to be adventure packs (perhaps with a collectible element from the online thing- "bonus room!" You're left with the perfect game.

I miss the old solo adventures from 1e D&D and WFRP (Night of Mystery anyone?).

WFRP3's takeover of the warhammer market has been interesting to say the least, but the fan-base was split. Just as 3e split from 4e, 4e will certainly split from 5e.

Problem is that you lose so much good talent between editions and the writers are not stepping up anymore like they used to..they're busy being spoon-fed and chained in their basements by the non-tabletop industry.

We're seeing this the most in the scenario-writing arena.

jh

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads