• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it worth slowing down EnWorld for the XP system?

frankthedm

First Post
Just a tick in the box, a big BZ to ENW for how the site is keeping up with the announcement of 5E (or whatever it is going to be called).

I lapsed my subscription previously cos the site was so slow to be unusable, now (even under the pressure of the announcement) it is still good.
XP have been temporarily disabled while the site traffic is very high, as they were notably slowing things down.
We're coping.... just. Had to turn craploads of stuff off. It'll die down by tomorrow, I expect.
Links don't slow the server down. Database queries do. It'll be back in a day or so.
So is the XP system worth it to You? Should the speed go back down for the features due to be turned back on?

IronWolf

blank
I was not a fan of the XP system when it was first released, but I have come to enjoy it and I think many others do.

As for the speed comment, I am skeptical that any significant speed decrease has been traced back to the XP system. The site has been running quite well when the blogs were disabled. That seems to be the biggest culprit for some of the site speed issues about a month ago or so. Things seemed to be quite snappy even with the XP system on prior to the 5e announcement.

Ahnehnois

First Post
You can always give XP later.

For me, the boards were impossible to access for a while, and then turned usable when XP when kaput. I'd say it's worth it.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
You can always give XP later.

For me, the boards were impossible to access for a while, and then turned usable when XP when kaput. I'd say it's worth it.

Thing is the turned off a bunch of stuff. From what I noticeds they turned off:

Blogs.
Friend Lists.
Awarding XP (xp comments still appear).

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I haven't noticed any slowdowns, so I'd prefer the exp system. Mostly for the ability to leave comments, kudos, or general agreement on other peoples posts.

Remove ads