• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it worth slowing down EnWorld for the XP system?

Is it worth slowing down EnWorld for the XP system?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The site went down several times yesterday, so I shut off a whole load of things which were not absolutely necessary to the function of reading about the 5E news. We had over 4000 users online at one point.

To those who didn't notice any slowdown - all I can say is that you were damn lucky!

XP will be back shortly, once traffic has died back down to normal levels.

IronWolf

blank
Umbran stated this was the case and he was quoted in the first post of this thread.

Yep. I read that. And I read that Morrus shutdown a whole swarm of things. I am skeptical that XP had that significant of an impact by itself, especially under normal operating situations.

And example of something being shutoff and seeing immediate performance improvements are the blogs. When those went off the site speed increased tremendously and that was under normal traffic conditions, not a major release news day.

And while I would rather not see XP turned off, I totally support the site staff's decision to do so on the day of a major news release. I thought the site performed remarkably well for the amount of traffic it must have been receiving.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yep. I read that. And I read that Morrus shutdown a whole swarm of things. I am skeptical that XP had that significant of an impact by itself, especially under normal operating situations.

It wasn't normal operating situations. There were 4000 users online. The site was going down every few minutes at one point.

[MENTION=52905]darjr[/MENTION] tells me it was causing some kind of logjam/pileup in the database. I don't understand the specifics.

It worked. I don't know what to tell you. The site stayed up the rest of the day.

IronWolf

blank
It wasn't normal operating situations. There were 4000 users online. The site was going down every few minutes at one point.

It worked. I don't know what to tell you. The site stayed up the rest of the day.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I totally get turning them off for yesterday and even the next few days. It was the right thing to do under the significant increase in traffic. I was saying, that in day to day action I doubt XP is adding that much overhead.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I understand that more than just xp was taken off, and wish the poll reflected that. However...

I have not had my experience (hey, pun!) using this site affected in the slightest bit since everything that got shut off, whatever it all may be. I clearly wasn't using and/or liking ANY of it, and the site's been zipping along faster than I can recall for at least the past half year or more, all while holding this increased traffic. That's amazing! Please never turn them back on!

Oh well, looks like the only way that will happen is if the site's traffic remains high indefinitely. Which would be awesome for the obvious reasons, aside from the forced pared down fuctionality I so have enjoyed.

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
I like the XP system. I also noticed an increase in the speed after the blogs feature was turned off.

However, having the XP system take a vacation for a week or so seems reasonable to me.

Remove ads