D&D 5E Is morale used anymore?

Shiroiken

Legend
Seems cool, except for the part where you roll a check for individual monsters at multiple break points.

That could easily add dozens of rolls to a decently sized fight. Doesn't it bog things down a bit?
If I played IRL, yea, but we use Roll20. I have a macro to roll any number of d20s at once, so it's just 3 mouse clicks :)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I've been working on a better Morale mechanic for 5E. I don't like tying the roll to an ability score, unless it's the leader's Charisma. It's still in the works, but the general gist is:

A creature rolls a Moral Check when each of the following happens:
The first time it takes damage from a Vulnrability (or damage that prevents Regeneration)
The first time it's reduced to 50% of Max HP
When it's leader (if any) becomes incapacitated or flees
Each round that the creature's side suffers a casualty without inflicting one (still thinking about this one)

Morale Check - Roll 1d20 vs. DC: 10 (toying with DC: 8)
Modifiers:
-1 for each Ally Incapacitated or Fled
-2 if creatures is wounded, but not down to 50% of max HP
-5 if creature is wounded to 50% of max HP or less
+1 for every 2 enemies Incapacitated or fled (maybe 1:1, not sure)
+ Leader's Charisma Modifier
Disadvantage if Leader is Incapacitated or Fled
Advantage if defending Lair

That's pretty similar to what I've got, but unless there's a real reason to roll, it's a passive check.

I not only agree (and preach) the general sentiment that intelligent creatures usually won't fight to the death, but that the player's should think about whether they would actually chase down and kill a retreating enemy (or a surrendering one). It probably shouldn't be an automatic thing - shoot the fleeing goblin in the back.

I think the main reason that morale isn't really much of a thing is that the game is designed more and more as a "game" that people can sit down and play without having to worry about things like this. Just like video games, monsters are pretty much just a combat challenge, and an obstacle to be overcome. That is, you move from encounter 1 to encounter 2, without any loose ends to consider. In a lair they'll sometimes mention retreats, getting reinforcements, etc. but the general expectation is that you'll kill all the monsters.

My players expect that really the only creatures that always fight to the death are constructs and undead.

Every one of my enemy bosses:
IMG_1133.JPG

But seriously, if makes sense that the monsters would flee, I have them flee.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There is no Morale mechanic. It's entirely up to the DM as to whether or not the monsters will break and flee.

I'm with this. I often have foes break and flee if the fight is going against them and they think they can get away with it. Very first fight of my current campaign had about half the enemies (try to) run away when it went bad for them.

On the other hand, I also expect my players to have their characters run away when things get bad.

On the gripping hand, doing things like have honorable by evil hobgoblins surrender is fun. Feed them, guard them, etc. Or aristocratic enemies who surrender and expect to be kept safely until they can be ransomed.

I've been working on a better Morale mechanic for 5E. I don't like tying the roll to an ability score, unless it's the leader's Charisma. It's still in the works, but the general gist is:

A creature rolls a Moral Check when each of the following happens:
The first time it takes damage from a Vulnrability (or damage that prevents Regeneration)
The first time it's reduced to 50% of Max HP
When it's leader (if any) becomes incapacitated or flees
Each round that the creature's side suffers a casualty without inflicting one (still thinking about this one)

Morale Check - Roll 1d20 vs. DC: 10 (toying with DC: 8)
Modifiers:
-1 for each Ally Incapacitated or Fled
-2 if creatures is wounded, but not down to 50% of max HP
-5 if creature is wounded to 50% of max HP or less
+1 for every 2 enemies Incapacitated or fled (maybe 1:1, not sure)
+ Leader's Charisma Modifier
Disadvantage if Leader is Incapacitated or Fled
Advantage if defending Lair
That's a lot of finicky modifiers. Very 3e and not very 5e.

Moral should probably either be a Wisdom or Charisma saving throw. Maybe either or, chosen by the creature. Willpower or sense of self.
Then modify with advantage or disadvantage as needed.
I can see a creature substituting their leader's modifier for their own.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I generally make the call on my own depending on situation, but like anything else in 5e, when I don't know for sure, I just roll a d20 in secret and then I make a decision based on whether the roll is low, medium or high. It helps me keep the action moving and my brain from exploding trying to calculate DCs.

aco175

Legend
I tend to have some of the last survivors try to run away. I do agree with several earlier posts about not waiting until you are less that 50% HP before trying or you will die from opportunity attacks and last chance ranged pop shots. A lot of the time the PCs try to pursue the last creature and kill it before it can get away and possibly bring reinforcements. The players may have been burned several times when bad guys got away and come back later to seek revenge.

When playing LMoP the dragon got away after both it and the party was badly damaged and the fight could have gone either way at that point. It came back several levels later as an ally to hobgoblins trying to take over Westbridge. The PCs managed to lure it into a barn and used a Qualls Feather Token to grow a tree in front of the doors to keep it in the barn for an additional couple rounds while the rest of the party was able to kill it.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I still frequently make use of moral, be it when i outright decides or make a check to determine if enemies cease to offer opposition and instead surrender or flee etc...

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Sure. When it makes sense for something to try and flee, they try to flee. So the evil zealots of the cult of naughty rarely make a break for it (unlike they're glorious leaders..) while the sniveling rat-things will attempt to flee from any fight where they fail to start with an advantage/surprise.

There are many advantages to developing a gaming culture where such behaviour is represented. Having players try to identify the leader of a group (history/religion/investigation) and then have them brow-beat said leader down (intimidation/literal beat-down) really helps to deepen 'combat' encounters.

Last edited:

Rhenny

Adventurer
Sure. When it makes sense for something to try and flee, they try to flee. So the evil zealots of the cult of naughty rarely make a break for it (unlike they're glorious leaders..) while the sniveling rat-things will attempt to flee from any fight where they fail to start with an advantage/surprise.

There are many advantages to developing a gaming culture where such behaviour is represented. Having players try to identify the leader of a group (history/religion/investigation) and then have them brow-beat said leader down (intimidation/literal beat-down) really helps to deepen 'combat' encounters.
Plus, most creatures don't want to die so having exit strategies is more realistic as well as dynamic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases