• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
"Official" doesn't mean anything. But inasfar as it means anything, the order remains:

1. Keith Baker
2. WotC
3. Everybody else

I'm really uncomfortable arguing with you here, but if we are meaning Canon = Official, then my Star Wars example still holds. The owner of the property decides what is canon material, not its first creator.

Also, saying "this word doesn't mean anything, but if it did," is a weird sentence.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This was the dumbest aspect of Planescape in 2E. Everyone on Krynn was dumb for believes Takhisis lived in the Abyss rather than Baator, even though in Dragonlance Raistlin went to the Abyss and fought Takhisis there. Both a powerful wizard and god were unaware of where they were?

It was stupid, it added nothing and to see it perpetuated is madness.
Pssst, it's all made up.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm really uncomfortable arguing with you here, but if we are meaning Canon = Official, then my Star Wars example still holds. The owner of the property decides what is canon material, not its first creator.

Also, saying "this word doesn't mean anything, but if it did," is a weird sentence.
We're not going to agree.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

The usual approach of WotC is to defer to the Creator when possible. Perkins, who is in charge of "canon," has said that what Ed Greenwood says goes for the Forgotten Realms. Probably would say the same for Keith Baker and Eberron.

Urriak Uruk

But if he made a Star Wars movie under some license which contradicted the Disney ones (somehow), his version is canon. Same thing. If Keith Baker's book contradicts WotC's, Keith Baker's is 'official'.

But Keith Baker can't really make material contradicting WotC's, at least not any material that WotC doesn't have the power to block. So the concept still stands.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While I don't doubt they'll make them the same entities across worlds, I find that perhaps the least interesting way they could choose to handle them. But, I'm personally not a big fan of WotC's "make it all one big cosmology" approach. I prefer they let them be disconnected and discrete and unique in form and function.

Urriak Uruk

The usual approach of WotC is to defer to the Creator when possible. Perkins, who is in charge of "canon," has said that what Ed Greenwood says goes for the Forgotten Realms. Probably would say the same for Keith Baker and Eberron.

Yeah I'm really quite happy with how WotC handles the work of the original creators like Greenwood and K. Baker... although there is obviously some tension with W&H because of the lawsuit. I believe Curse of Strahd had some of their input and is a great piece of work.

Now, I know W&H always wanted to keep Dragonlance seperate from the greater multiverse, which is partly why they killed Lord Soth after he appeared in Ravenloft, so I doubt they are keen on the Takhisis = Tiamat thing. Ed Greenwood obviously doesn't care much about how FR fits in the Multiverse, and Keith Baker is somewhere in-between.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah I'm really quite happy with how WotC handles the work of the original creators like Greenwood and K. Baker... although there is obviously some tension with W&H because of the lawsuit. I believe Curse of Strahd had some of their input and is a great piece of work.

Now, I know W&H always wanted to keep Dragonlance seperate from the greater multiverse, which is partly why they killed Lord Soth after he appeared in Ravenloft, so I doubt they are keen on the Takhisis = Tiamat thing. Ed Greenwood obviously doesn't care much about how FR fits in the Multiverse, and Keith Baker is somewhere in-between.
I'm pretty sure the multiverse is partly Ed Greenwood's fault.

Remove ads

Remove ads