D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Last edited:

One of the things that some brought up when I mentioned real-world mythology, particular the subject of the Babylonian God Marduk and his rivalry with Tiamat which seems to be glossed over, is that Marduk might also be another name for Bahamut, especially in Toril where the Babylonian Pantheon is known as the Untheric Pantheon.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
One of the things that some brought up when I mentioned real-world mythology, particular the subject of the Babylonian God Marduk and his rivalry with Tiamat which seems to be glossed over, is that Marduk might also be another name for Bahamut, especially in Toril where the Babylonian Pantheon is known as the Untheric Pantheon.
Marduk's rivalry with Tiamat is explicitly mentioned in On Hallowed Ground (where Marduk is presented as being a separate deity from Bahamut). Insofar as the Forgotten Realms goes, Powers & Pantheons put Marduk as one of the members of the Untheric pantheon whose manifestation was destroyed (severing his connection to Realmspace) during the Battle of the Gods (against the orc gods) in -1071 DR (P&P, p. 95).

Dragons of Faerûn (p. 8), on the other hand, says that Marduk was always an alias of Bahamut (at least in the Realms), citing his being reduced in power as a result of the Battle of the Gods.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

dave2008

Legend
Why would they be related?
They are both 5-headed evil dragon goddesses with a white, black, green, blue, and red heads that relate yo cold, acid, poison, lightning, and fire respectively. Other than some ornamentation, they are exactly the same.
They're from completely separate worlds.
Gods are not from worlds, they are from their divine realms. The influence a world (or worlds) through their divine aspects or avatars. Seems pretty (super)natural to me.
This is like assuming that bats and owls must surely be closely related since they both fly at night.
Not even close. It is more like saying a great horned owl and great grey owl are both owls. Yes, there are slight differences, but they are both owls.
And I've never seen any depiction of Tiamat as such that remotely reminded me of Takhisis beyone "is evil" and the silhouette.
IDK, I mean Tak has gotten a lot more one v one time in novels than Tiamat I think, so it is really kinda hard to say IMO
Hell, I cant recall Tiamat ever appearing to anyone as a dark haired femme fatale with a dope crown.
My goodness - just do a search for Tiamat on Deviant Art and you will see a lot of people see Tiamat that way. And I believe that she is described that way in the 4e Draconomicon.

EDIT:
1626457755662.png

1626457772706.png

Bahamut beung equivalent to the Untheric Marduk in FR was confirmed in the 3e Dragons of Faerûn.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I would love it if the First World was one of the two completely new settings they were planning.
No, I'm tired of them taking my concepts* and publishing them and then any new players yawning and saying thats not clever, or even telling me my stuff is wrong because it varies from the cannon.

/sigh

:p

/rant over

*I know that good ideas can be involved in independent development, like the wheel. I just get grumpy.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
They are both 5-headed evil dragon goddesses with a white, black, green, blue, and red heads that relate yo cold, acid, poison, lightning, and fire respectively. Other than some ornamentation, they are exactly the same.
Fun fact: according to page 134 of Powers & Pantheons, while Tiamat's draconic avatar always has five heads, she can have the colors of those heads be any combination of blue, red, green, black, white, brown, or yellow.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
No, I'm tired of them taking my concepts* and publishing them and then any new players yawning and saying thats not clever, or even telling me my stuff is wrong because it varies from the cannon.

/sigh

:p

/rant over

*I know that good ideas can be involved in independent development, like the wheel. I just get grumpy.
Tyranny of Dragons came out just as I was wrapping up a years-long campaign arc coming to an almost identical climax. I'm not sure who Wolfgang Baur had spying on my table, but I did not appreciate it!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases