D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

The only 5E books confirmed to be canon - the "public-facing" canon - are the current printings of the core rulebooks.
People keep saying this, but I thought what was said was that only the 5e RPG books are canon. So not novels, not video games, but yes Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Did I miss something?

Bolares

Hero
Isn't it a bit impossible otherwise? I mean I know of groups that had a TPK against Tiamat in RoT. There is no "official" lore that will ever support that result. I just don't see how to reconcile player games with setting lore. Of course I don't use official settings so I may just be inexperienced in that department.
"I hope this thread has finally taught me to stop engaging people on the topic of the relevance of "official" lore/fluff past and present."

:p :p :p

. The progenitors shouldn't be derivative creators who copied the works of Bahamut, Takhisis, and the various gods who created various creatures. Eberron's elves have never been, and should not now be, the children of
Why? Why is this such a bad thing? I just don’t see how, particularly in a setting where the whole idea of gods could be false, this is such a terrible concept? Why does it matter at all if Eberron is first, 2nd, or 75th? Why does it matter if Eberron is part of, or completely separate from, the Great Wheel or the World Axis or any other cosmology? I just don’t see how it really affects anything at the table.

Edit: just wanted to say I understand that you personally may not like what you see as a change in the lore, and that is valid, but that alone does not make it a bad thing.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
People keep saying this, but I thought what was said was that only the 5e RPG books are canon. So not novels, not video games, but yes Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Did I miss something?
What Perkins said is that the 3 core books are the only "public facing canon" for D&D, that is, the only thing they are forcing media partners and freelancers to adhere to. The Paramount filmmakers and Larian Studios are being held to the content of the DMG, MM, and PHB in detail, but are not expected to stick with the SCAG or Volo's Guide (though I suppose they could if they wanted to?).

Yes you did. Crawford said in a tweet or at conference or something about other media content not being canon. However, that was followed up by Perkins in a detailed blog post on the D&D website called “D&D Canon” I believe. It is that blog post that describe the core rule books (PHB, DMG, MM) as the only canon.

edit: here it is D&D Canon

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
What Perkins said is that the 3 core books are the only "public facing canon" for D&D, that is, the only thing they are forcing media partners and freelancers to adhere to. The Paramount filmmakers and Larian Studios are being held to the content of the DMG, MM, and PHB in detail, but are not expected to stick with the SCAG or Volo's Guide (though I suppose they could if they wanted to?).
Sometimes it seems like people refuse to understand this. Canon did not change this year... Why do people choose to understand something in a light that will make them mad?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Why? Why is this such a bad thing? I just don’t see how, particularly in a setting where the whole idea of gods could be false, this is such a terrible concept? Why does it matter at all if Eberron is first, 2nd, or 75th? Why does it matter if Eberron is part of, or completely separate from, the Great Wheel or the World Axis or any other cosmology? I just don’t see how it really affects anything at the table.

Edit: just wanted to say I understand that you personally may not like what you see as a change in the lore, and that is valid, but that alone does not make it a bad thing.
It changes what the progenitors are. It changes the feel of the world for my whole group. It “berk”s the entire setting and everyone in it.

Remove ads

Remove ads