• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is Pathfinder Combat As Slow as 4e?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I'll stop after this I promise :)

I too grew up on much the same as you did. I love the d20 system as a step up from the mayhem of 1E/AD&D days when everyone had different houserules. But what drives me nuts, even today, is not the over all game system, but how things are written for it. In 4E, everything I need is right there, I don't need to look up anything.

A first level adventure in Pathfinder I was DMing just the other night, I had to refer to the stat block in the adventure, which referred me to a creature in the beastiary, which had an ability that I had to look up in the core rulebook. Why!?!? That one thing alone makes it more difficult (and intimidating) for someone to want to step in and run.

Rules familiarity helps a lot with this... but seriously, look at that tome known as the core rulebook and tell me it isn't intimidating.

I for one cannot wait for the new starter set Paizo is constructing... I just wish they would draw on that one design principle from 4e and include everything you need in the freaking stat blocks so you don't have to search everywhere for information.

I finished running a game a few hours ago. I am using an Adventure Path. I did have to look up quite a few rules. I wish they would include all the stat blocks in the book rather than page 176 and page 294 for advanced templates to make my job easier. I like full stat blocks for everything but the absolute standard creature in my modules.

And yes, Pathfinder's rules are far more intimidating for your average player than 4E, especially for a DM. I note frustration in some of my players when they are trying to do something and some rules aspect messes them up. They are getting used to it now.

Then again the round to round modifiers made 4E DMing a huge pain for myself and my friend. It burned us out trying to track modifiers for five different players and all the different monsters. Then when the players started using dailies, then you have compounding modifiers to track and round to round saves. And all types of tiny little changes.

Then you had players doing what some wizard and caster players do with the one encounter adventure day. Instead of the wizard and cleric needing to rest a day to get their spells back, now the fighter, rogue, and socerer are willing to spend their time resting for a day to get their best powers back.

It all became a giant headache. Pathfinder's not perfect. But it sure suits my tastes and tolerance for bookkeeping a great deal more than 4E. My paper looked like I spoke in code with the little initial marks I had to make to keep track of marked and what was the sorcerer one? I can't even remember. But I'm glad to be done with all of that.

In Pathfinder the monster's swing their weapons. If they hit, they do damage. If they have some other effect, it lasts for a round or two period. You tell the player the modifier and how many rounds it lasts and you're done. No worrying about if the guy missed or not to reeastablish the mark or remarked a different target or got hit by the can't use your power ray or what not. So much easier to adjudicate as a DM.

IronWolf

blank
I for one cannot wait for the new starter set Paizo is constructing... I just wish they would draw on that one design principle from 4e and include everything you need in the freaking stat blocks so you don't have to search everywhere for information.

I finished running a game a few hours ago. I am using an Adventure Path. I did have to look up quite a few rules. I wish they would include all the stat blocks in the book rather than page 176 and page 294 for advanced templates to make my job easier. I like full stat blocks for everything but the absolute standard creature in my modules.

While I certainly have had the same happen to me where when running an AP I grab for the Bestiary and then also have to grab the core rulebook I still do not want them to include *everything* for the creature or NPC if that material has already been printed in another book that is considered part of the core assumption.

The stat blocks take up a tremendous amount of room in a module and I would rather see the room used for a little more detail about a room or the events that led things to be the way things are.

If I find myself grabbing for books during a game session I consider that more of a fault of mine for not having been properly prepared to run the encounter. I should have prepped that encounter with a small index card in the comfort of my home from the couch with my books around me than on the fly during the game session. Of course this doesn't always happen.... But I blame my lack of adequate prep more than the layout of the books as I would rather see information in modules that hasn't already been printed in the core rulebook or bestiary.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
This is why I'm going to get an iPad2 when it comes out - so I will have all the Pathfinder books, searchable, at my fingertips. :)

Rawhide

First Post
I don't know how you managed that. In my experience, 4E with players that know the rules and their characters well is still much slower than Pathfinder with players that barely know the rules.

Yeah, I have had the same experience, with multiple groups even after everyone was very familiar with the rules. 4e is just much, much slower for us.

Rawhide

First Post
While 4e ended up not working for me or my group, and we gave it a nearly two-year try, I don't think of it as at all like WoW.

In WoW, my character can have meaningful and useful crafting skills. So no... no real similarity.

Trying to be witty (and I give you points here!) doesn't give you carte blanche to edition war. We don't care whether people love or hate any particular edition, but it is flat-out not okay to take cheap shots to try and bait a fight. Don't do this again, please. PM me if this is in any way unclear. ~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

Walking Dad

First Post
Yeah, I have had the same experience, with multiple groups even after everyone was very familiar with the rules. 4e is just much, much slower for us.
Maybe depends on the group and other factors...

Do you use power cards and the HP damage adjustments for monsters from later books? Which level were you playing.

renau1g

First Post
So just wading into this from the perspective of a long time DM on both editions (less with PF, but it's combat is similar enough to 3e). PF has some great resolutions for minor encounters, one hit and that skeleton is dead...well re-dead (or whatever ;)), where in 4e it usually takes 3-4 hits to drop the same regular foe. One thing I like in 4e is minions, they add a bunch of easy to take out bad guys, but they're mostly trivial to deal with (so many area effect powers). Now... at a higher level I find 4e to be much smoother as in 3.5e once you got to 12th or 13th level before every battle (especially in a Paizo AP, those damn meat grinders) the PC's would spend forever buffing themselves and we all had to sit around while the mage/priest figured out their new stats. Oh and I hate save or die.

That's just me but I hate it as a DM because players could insta-kill the BBEG and you get a nice anti-climax, or if I use it on a PC and they die because of one low roll, they more than a bit annoyed that their two year played PC is gone, especially the genasi PC I had for my longest campaign...

So I find that PF is nice and for many encounters can be completed in 2-3 rounds, in 4e I find most fights are down to 4-6 rounds. Larger encounters are another story, but yeah.

Remove ads