Is Resource Management “Fun?”

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Not back when I played it. with a 24 hour recenal of spell slots, you didn't see many non-combat spells.
Continual Light isn't the best example here, in that with a duration of "permanent" any character with even a shred of wisdom is going to cast a bunch of them on coins or pebbles while still in town so as to never have to bother prepping it in the field.

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone cast Tenser's Floating Disc*, probably because most of the times it would be really useful are for long-range travel e.g. hauling the dungeon's loot three days back to town, and the spell just doesn't last long enough.

* - or as we like to call it, Tenser's Herniated Disc.

rmcoen

Adventurer
Continual Light isn't the best example here, in that with a duration of "permanent" any character with even a shred of wisdom is going to cast a bunch of them on coins or pebbles while still in town so as to never have to bother prepping it in the field.

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone cast Tenser's Floating Disc*, probably because most of the times it would be really useful are for long-range travel e.g. hauling the dungeon's loot three days back to town, and the spell just doesn't last long enough.

We used it a few times to get awkward treasure out of the dungeon and up to our waiting wagons. Which I think was the intended purpose. (Still works, now that it is a ritual spell.) Also used it a couple times to get corpses out of places - once a party member, and once a minotaur we were sent to hunt. Use the spell because no one could carry the barbarian's corpse back up the waterfall we had climbed down to get to the dungeon!

Point. Although I did not allow that sort of meta-gaming back in my D&D days. To be fair, I lost interest in D&D very early on. I moved on to low-power games and stayed there.

Pedantic

Legend
Point. Although I did not allow that sort of meta-gaming back in my D&D days. To be fair, I lost interest in D&D very early on. I moved on to low-power games and stayed there.
I think it's a stretch to call those two decisions metagaming, unless you think spell durations should be randomized and/or concealed from players? If you cut off access to the PHB spell section and just gave the PC the descriptions of those two spells that they knew, it's not at all hard to make those choices without any outside information. The travel times are presumably directly determined by experience, as the players would have had to go to the dungeon from town, and descend down into the dungeon from the surface.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
@Pedantic beat me to it, but I too have to ask how pre-casting Continual Light is metagaming; particularly as by the time the characters get access to the spell they've almost certainly already been through a few adventures/dungeons and would know the importance of reliable light sources.

I think it's a stretch to call those two decisions metagaming, unless you think spell durations should be randomized and/or concealed from players? If you cut off access to the PHB spell section and just gave the PC the descriptions of those two spells that they knew, it's not at all hard to make those choices without any outside information. The travel times are presumably directly determined by experience, as the players would have had to go to the dungeon from town, and descend down into the dungeon from the surface.
Metagaming is not the correct term. I was thinking of munchkin.

I did/do not like the D&D endless cascade of spells, powers, and magical items, which is why I abandoned the system and never looked back.

Pedantic

Legend
Metagaming is not the correct term. I was thinking of munchkin.

I did/do not like the D&D endless cascade of spells, powers, and magical items, which is why I abandoned the system and never looked back.
I suppose that's fair from a very strict low-fantasy perspective, but it's really hard to call that a munchkin move in the context of D&D specifically. That's the most on-brand use of those spells. No one is shoving heads in bags to blind people, disking over pressure plates or anything.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Continual Light and Tenser's Floating DIsk are 1E spells in the 1978 Player's Handbook. They are 1st/2nd level. This isnt some high level munchkin nonsense. The default state is "torches no longer matter at 3rd level", and likely far before that, given that 1e adventures are dripping with items as well.

This fetishization over grubbing for coppers and counting sticks seems pretty revisionist when you actually look at the game and the published adventures.

This is a great point. I think that the focus on gear in early D&D was most prominent at lower levels. The spells and items that obviated all that were rewards for making into the middle levels. I have some thoughts on this.

First, I think that the trivialization of those kind of basic concerns was a bit counterproductive over time. Sure, the first time you get a bag of holding or similar items/spells, it feels rewarding. You feel like you’ve progressed beyond the point where you need to be counting rations and bringing porters or a horse and cart to transport all your loot. But when that game wraps up and you begin a new one, you’re back to the tedium. And it only serves to point out how tedious it is.

Second, rewards for leveling up were less frequent in earlier editions of D&D. That’s why such a significant portion of rewards was through magic items. These days, just about every character gets at least one nee feature at every level. The characters are more capable without relying on magic items. They’re still present, of course, but don’t seem as necessary as they did in AD&D. By comparison, not having to track torches seems like a pittance compared to Action Surge and stuff like that.

I’d like to see them rethink inventory related rules in 6E. I think it can be a compelling part of the game, but I think that it really depends on what kind of scenarios the characters will be in, and what kind of rules are used to work with such scenarios.

But as it os right now in 5e, it doesn’t seem a very engaging part of the game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases