Spelljammer Is Spelljammer Coming To D&D 5E?

Thanks to Stan Shinn over on Google+ for this scoop! WotC held a presentation at the GAMA trade show today, in which they covered both recent D&D performance (best year ever!), some previews of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a small hint towards... Spelljammer?

Thanks to Stan Shinn over on Google+ for this scoop! WotC held a presentation at the GAMA trade show today, in which they covered both recent D&D performance (best year ever!), some previews of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a small hint towards... Spelljammer?

spelljammerbox.jpg

Here's Stan's report, direct from the trade show:

"Interesting Spelljammer and market news from the GAMA (Game Manufacturers Association) WOTC Seminar on March 13 in Reno (I’m there now).

Mark Price talked about D&D and showed some pictures from inside the upcoming Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes book. I have a few pictures (attached) prior to the Mordenkainen’s slides, but they asked us not to take or share pictures of the Mordenkainen’s book interior. They did show us a picture of a ‘Giff’ — a Spelljammer creature, which will be in the book. He looked like a steampunk hippo with a blunderbuss. Regarding why the creature was in the book, he said “I’ll let you speculate wildly about what that may mean.”

There was look of a wink in his eye so I’m pretty sure the hint was that Spelljammer is coming soon!

Other news from the seminar:

— 2017 was the best year for D&D ever in terms of sales
— Year 3 of D&D sales is stronger than their first year
— Actual play streaming is a key driver of D&D’s success, with 9 million users watching D&D on Twitch
— 8.6 million Americans have played D&D in the last 12 months (they did not give stats for overseas)"

It seems Xanathar's Guide was the fastest selling product in D&D history!

Wondering what Spelljammer is? Imagine D&D (2nd Edition) in space, except the ships are magic flying sailing galleons, and space is a "phlogiston" they can sail in with magical helms, and each world is in its own "crystal sphere", and all of D&D's settings exist in the same universe, and you can fly between them. Image above is of the AD&D 2E Spelljammer boxed set.

Of course, it might not be that. It might just be a monster entry Mordenkainen's Tome, and nothing more.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

SpellJammer16

Apprentice of the Seventh Circle of Mystery
Hoping this Spelljammer happens!
With the Ship Miniature coming this year and this... I'll be in one of the layers of Heaven!

jgsugden

Legend
I think what we'll see is a chapter on Spelljammer concepts in a book about the planes, and then a few Spelljammer races and creatures introduced in a few monster sections of a few different books - just enough to give rough guidance to a DM.

QuietBrowser

First Post
I think what we'll see is a chapter on Spelljammer concepts in a book about the planes, and then a few Spelljammer races and creatures introduced in a few monster sections of a few different books - just enough to give rough guidance to a DM.

Only problem with this is that Spelljammer is not connected to the planes; it's about traveling to different planets on the material plane. It's Space Fantasy, not Planar Fantasy.

jgsugden

Legend
Only problem with this is that Spelljammer is not connected to the planes; it's about traveling to different planets on the material plane. It's Space Fantasy, not Planar Fantasy.
I think that if they had a book on the Planes and the second chapter was on Spelljamming between different spheres in the PMP it would fit right in....

Big Mac

Explorer
It's been confirmed that WotC are not working on a Spelljammer book...yet. :)

But I think we will continue to get Spelljammer namechecks in products during the buildup to the time when they are publishing a Spelljammer product.

fjw70

Adventurer
Hoping this Spelljammer happens!
With the Ship Miniature coming this year and this... I'll be in one of the layers of Heaven!

I just started my first Spelljammer campaign a few weeks ago (after almost 30 years of wanting to do one) and we are doing it with 5e. I would love to see a 5e Spelljammer book but LOVE LOVE LOVE Spelljammer ship minis.

Remove ads

Remove ads