Spelljammer Is Spelljammer Coming To D&D 5E?

Thanks to Stan Shinn over on Google+ for this scoop! WotC held a presentation at the GAMA trade show today, in which they covered both recent D&D performance (best year ever!), some previews of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a small hint towards... Spelljammer?

Thanks to Stan Shinn over on Google+ for this scoop! WotC held a presentation at the GAMA trade show today, in which they covered both recent D&D performance (best year ever!), some previews of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a small hint towards... Spelljammer?

spelljammerbox.jpg

Here's Stan's report, direct from the trade show:

"Interesting Spelljammer and market news from the GAMA (Game Manufacturers Association) WOTC Seminar on March 13 in Reno (I’m there now).

Mark Price talked about D&D and showed some pictures from inside the upcoming Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes book. I have a few pictures (attached) prior to the Mordenkainen’s slides, but they asked us not to take or share pictures of the Mordenkainen’s book interior. They did show us a picture of a ‘Giff’ — a Spelljammer creature, which will be in the book. He looked like a steampunk hippo with a blunderbuss. Regarding why the creature was in the book, he said “I’ll let you speculate wildly about what that may mean.”

There was look of a wink in his eye so I’m pretty sure the hint was that Spelljammer is coming soon!

Other news from the seminar:

— 2017 was the best year for D&D ever in terms of sales
— Year 3 of D&D sales is stronger than their first year
— Actual play streaming is a key driver of D&D’s success, with 9 million users watching D&D on Twitch
— 8.6 million Americans have played D&D in the last 12 months (they did not give stats for overseas)"

It seems Xanathar's Guide was the fastest selling product in D&D history!

Wondering what Spelljammer is? Imagine D&D (2nd Edition) in space, except the ships are magic flying sailing galleons, and space is a "phlogiston" they can sail in with magical helms, and each world is in its own "crystal sphere", and all of D&D's settings exist in the same universe, and you can fly between them. Image above is of the AD&D 2E Spelljammer boxed set.

Of course, it might not be that. It might just be a monster entry Mordenkainen's Tome, and nothing more.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Considering the four years of "Dragonlance is coming to 5e!?" courtesy of oblique references to the setting in the core books, it should take more than a picture of a Giff for folks to assume that a Spelljammer setting is in the works for 2018... ;)

The difference, though, is that there's more than just references to Spelljammer in 5e products—there's actual Spelljammer material (Neogi, Giff).

Spelljammer is the right settin to playtesting some ideas for a future d20 Modern Second Edition. And in the right hands can be a new blockbuster franchise for Hasbro, not only for pen-and-paper RPG industry but also for TV cartoons, action-live movies, videogames, comics and action-figure toys.

And the fraals (little gran alien from 20Future) were canon in AD&D.

That's reaching for Spelljammer up next, I personally won't be holding my breath. Not that I'm a huge fan, the least popular of my box set collection, there's a lot of other stuff I'd like to see first

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
There hasn’t been a dying market narrative for years.
Yes, this is true, even though I've kept reading some doom & gloom posts about the D&D skeleton crew. However, I was mostly thinking about the dire predictions from a few years ago and how they were so completely wrong.

Pandatheist

Villager
Spelljammer basically got canned after Planescape came out and became a critical hit, so I would be mighty shocked if spelljammer managed to actually get a real setting book and not just a bunch of winks and nods. That being said, if we're wishlisting here, settings I would like in order:

1)Planescape
2)Dark Sun
3)Al Qadim(because I'm one of 3 people who played it and still loves their boxed sets and I think they retconned it to be in the Forgotten Realms anyways)

I'm happy if some stuff from Spelljammer is included, but I would rather play a straight Space Opera (i.e. Star Frontiers) than fantasy-in-space. There is already too much of that in Starfinder.

Am also a fan of the Dark Sun setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads