• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Tasha's More or Less The Universal Standard?

sigh, so when you said with pro con you don't see gnome fighters (that was what I quoted) were you lying or were you assuming that was true of others.
Nope. Read carefully what I said. We have underdog type characters exactly because we do not allow floating ASI. There is a big difference from what you infer.

I didn't say you were not allowing it like you were outlawing it
And the last part isn't true either. Everyone is free to do as they wish. Within the parameters of the game itself and what was voted upon by all players, including me. And no, my voice does not count for more than one vote.

And the last part isn't true either. Everyone is free to do as they wish. Within the parameters of the game itself and what was voted upon by all players, including me. And no, my voice does not count for more than one vote.
skiping everything else you literally just took me saying "I am not saying X" to argue as if I were saying X...

skiping everything else you literally just took me saying "I am not saying X" to argue as if I were saying X...
Maybe I should be clearer then.
Rubber masks. This is what floating ASI just do.
With floating ASI, what is the difference between a halfling barb, a gnome barb, an half orc barb and any other race barb? Absolutely nothing game wise. They will all reach max strength at level 8. The racial bonuses might do a change but it won't be a cost to see your max stat at level 12. A point that, from own admission is rarely reached. So doing a race not necessarily suited for the class should come at a cost. That cost is to reach max stat at level 12. The player is taking a risk here. Not a big one, but it is a risk any ways.

In exchange, the player gets to play with the bonuses of a race, however small they are and to have something unique. Also, a DM will play the element of surprise in favor of the underdog because it is not something that is expected. With floating ASI, you get everything at no costs. No delay and you get immediate rewards for doing so. Thus, the rubber masks as with everything else, you will see that some races have racials that are more suited for one class than the other, and comes TCoE where you get to pick where to put your ASI, choose a skill and a feat... How sweet...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Basically how many people are you aware of using Tasha's as is out in the wild? Do DMs allow it, parts of it,not allow it or just not aware of it.

How about online for those of you who play online?

To me there's a lot of power creep in in and parts of it obsolete the phb. Only managed one short campaign before Covid restrictions killed the game.

Anyway thinking of starting a new game and drawing a line in the sand as I haven't paid much attention to post Tasha's despite owning several books eg Fizbans, Ravenloft and one of the adventures whose name I forget.

Can't play so no gaming and care factor is low atm. No gaming in-store but an event at a club/pub/bar/restaurant with 200 of my closest friends is fine yay.

Well we technically can but no one wants to game wearing masks and it's not worth the owners time opening.
Since there is no power creep in it, and it doesn't obviate anything previously published, I've only seen anyone not allow it here on enworld, and maybe one or two comments on twitter. Otherwise, no one I know or have seen even considers it...like...any more significant than Xanathar's. "Oh hey some new stuff. Cool!"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
With floating ASI, what is the difference between a halfling barb, a gnome barb, an half orc barb and any other race barb? Absolutely nothing game wise.
Lucky, resistence to mind-affecting magic (big deal for barbarians who usually have weak mental saves), and relentless endurance. There's other stuff, but those are much bigger deal than +/- 1 to attack and damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads