• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Tasha's More or Less The Universal Standard?

Ondath

Hero
Basically how many people are you aware of using Tasha's as is out in the wild? Do DMs allow it, parts of it,not allow it or just not aware of it.

How about online for those of you who play online?

To me there's a lot of power creep in in and parts of it obsolete the phb. Only managed one short campaign before Covid restrictions killed the game.

Anyway thinking of starting a new game and drawing a line in the sand as I haven't paid much attention to post Tasha's despite owning several books eg Fizbans, Ravenloft and one of the adventures whose name I forget.

Can't play so no gaming and care factor is low atm. No gaming in-store but an event at a club/pub/bar/restaurant with 200 of my closest friends is fine yay.

Well we technically can but no one wants to game wearing masks and it's not worth the owners time opening.
I pretty much allow all of the variant class options (except I give Sorcerers Cantrip versatility as well because why on earth was a feature that screams sorcerer given to wizards?!), all spells except Dream of the Blue Veil (and this one purely for fluff reasons as planeswalking that way is harder in my multiverse), and all subclasses. Peace and twilight cleric are nerfed and some of the egregious spell additions to already-powerful full casters (such as cleric getting the Paladin auras, which is completely against the design principle of half caster spells being more powerful for their spell level due to them being available so late for half casters) are removed. Also, absolutely none of the spell save DC increasing items for full casters. So you could say I excised a good deal of content from the book or modified it to fit my desired power level for players.

teitan

Legend
5e doesn’t really have the power creep issues of post 1e D&D with the way Kits ramped up, feats and prestige classes or flat out crazy builds in 3-4e. It’s not as flat as Pathfinder2e yes, but it’s not a glaring issue. 5e has had 2 rules expansions, Tasha’s and Xanathar’s and they are very in line with each other power wise even with the subtle changes in the system to reflect the 2024 refresh of 5e. The additional materials in the campaign settings within their vacuums are fine within those confines and by extension are just as within the power levels of the other materials. Some subclasses are just more interestingly fluffed and that fluff can make it seem more than it is because it can sound awesome your Bill Clintons hanging out in the wind like a boss and in analysis it’s mechanically not so different from Eldritch blast or magic missile.

Azuresun

Adventurer
I guess I understand the "overpowered" argument, even if I disagree with it, but where are you pulling the "no-coherent-theme" thing from? It's pretty obviously a guardian-of-the-night concept.

I just nerf the darkvision to 90' and call it a day.

And out of all the settings, how many gods does that very specific concept actually match up to? Selune from the FR, and.....well, I really can't think of any others. It would have been better just to make it a more generic "protection" theme. This means the super darkvision gets lost; that's a good thing.

I saw this argument in other posts and no. You will not see people do that on purpose if they are not "forced" to by the rules. They will not try to play the underdog unless they are very advanced in RP and even then, it will not be their first reflex and they will not do it with every DM they will see. You do not see gnome fighter based on strength for that simple reason.
so you admit your way limits gnome fighters... but you think min max would make your game less diverse if they could play a gnome fighter? I don't even understand the argument.

you will see more half orc wizards, more gnome fighters, and more dwarf sorcerers with the new rules then the old

so you admit your way limits gnome fighters... but you think min max would make your game less diverse if they could play a gnome fighter? I don't even understand the argument.

you will see more half orc wizards, more gnome fighters, and more dwarf sorcerers with the new rules then the old
We have had a gnome fighter that rose to 11th level and the group TPK not because of him, but because of really bad rolls and decisions from the whole group. In fact, what you call limiting was quite the contrary. That gnome was both fighter and barb and was hard to hit and damage. As a two hander wielder, I played the surprise whenever unknowing enemies were on him. This is something I would not do if all races were able to do everything equally. There are thing like the surprise (or bewildered) factor to take into account. Nothing forces the DM to act so and it may be why some people prefer to see floating ASI.

As for limiting gnome fighter or any other combo... Nope, I allow it. That is an unfair claim that you did. It is the player`s decision whether or not to play an underdog. My job as a DM is to make sure that when such a decision is taken, that the underdog has a fair chance to shine and become a valuable addition to the group.

We have had a gnome fighter that rose to 11th level and the group TPK not because of him, but because of really bad rolls and decisions from the whole group.
sigh, so when you said with pro con you don't see gnome fighters (that was what I quoted) were you lying or were you assuming that was true of others.
As for limiting gnome fighter or any other combo... Nope,
I didn't say you were not allowing it like you were outlawing it

Remove ads