D&D (2024) Is the 5E player base going to split?

dave2008

Legend
I desperately want modules that come ina slipcase witha purely technical/utilitarian book separate from the fluffy, arty readable book.
That is one reason I am interested in MoM. From what I heard the fluff is removed. Actually I need to go get that book now that it is separated from the other books.

Reynard

Legend
That is one reason I am interested in MoM. From what I heard the fluff is removed. Actually I need to go get that book now that it is separated from the other books.
I don't think it is just a book of stat blocks. I think the "fluff" that has been removed is the specific lore sections -- which is not what I am talking about. I am talking about burying the DC for opening the door in the middle of a 300 word paragraph.

OB1

Jedi Master
Compatibility isn't the issue (I've admitted defeat on that). You could be fine with the new WotC and still not want to pay to replace your core books, or ask your players to buy new PHs.
Understandable, and I don't think you'll need to replace your old core to continue to play new APs or CSs. I believe the new core will primarily be for new players and that it will mostly just be an inclusion of some of the Everything splatbook options (with some becoming the new standard) in the case of the PHB and a MotM style rewrite of the original MM.

I don't think WotC will try to get every existing player to purchase a new PHB (though some will), rather they are going to try to refresh the entry point so that a player doesn't need to purchase 3 or 4 books right from the start. If you already have the old PHB and the two Everything guides, the only reason you would need to purchase the 2024 PHB would be for ease of reference.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm with @Parmandur on this one. Art plays a big part in my purchases as well. As an amateur artist myself, I don't want a book with art that I could easily do myself.
This.
It is an aspect of collecting. Meaning, it doesn't make sense from a purely utilitarian point of view, but a lot of folks are also collectors.

You can see this in any number of niche areas. I'm into mechanical pencils and fountain pens. In the mechanical pencil world, the Rotring 600 is one of the most iconic pencils - sort of a "gateway drug" to becoming a mechanical pencil aficionado. Not only does it come in a variety of lead types (0.5, 0.7, 2mm, etc), but also many different colors - and some collector's want at least one of each.

As with watches, a cheap $2 mechanical pencil (or $10 quartz watch) will suffice, but that's not what it is about (from a collector's or aficionado's) perspective. There are mechanical pencils that cost hundreds of dollars, and don't even get me started with fountain pens, which also have a luxury/status component.

Not to mention that there's the factor of aesthetic pleasure (also, in kinesthetic pleasure - the feel of a well-made, cool looking writing instrument in your hand). I bought the Eberron alt cover for $50 at my FLGS not because I'm anti-Amazon (well, I kind of am - but sacrifice my morals for convenience and economics), but because I loved the cover art - to the point that I was willing to spend $20 more on the cover.
I love a well made pen. To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, I lose pens too much. I bought a twenty dollar pen because I always lose pens and i got tired of not caring.

I mean, not really, I bought a $20 pen because it has a satisfying weight, it writes very smoothly without smearing on the plastic safe drop bags we use at work, doesn't leak, and it fits my preferred aesthetic of dark matte colors along the "cool" side of the color spectrum. Another I got for $10 for work because it has a mini screwdriver built in which I use several times a week to replace the battery in someone's car remote, a touch screen stylus end, and I like the grip and wieght of it. And it came with 3 replacement ink cartridges.

I'm doing research to get a set of very high quality mechanical pencils and pens for at home. I am very picky about pencils and pens, notebooks, etc.

I spent around $100 on amythist dice, a handmade dice box that looks like a big book, and a nice little dice holder thing for that dice set. She uses the box and the dice every time we play. Just having it at the table makes her happier. The dice roll well, feel good in the hand, and they're gorgeous.

One of the best things about not being broke anymore, is being able to actually get the nice versions of my favorite things.

My best friend wishes that dnd books had less art in them, and I just can't relate. I doubt I'd ever buy physical copies if they weren't full of good art that evokes exactly what the book is talking about. I love the art in MotM. The image for Deep Gnomes is just wonderful. I want to play that exact character now. The art for Duergar? Oh man I'm gonna use them more than I used to do just because of that art.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This.

I love a well made pen. To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, I lose pens too much. I bought a twenty dollar pen because I always lose pens and i got tired of not caring.

I mean, not really, I bought a $20 pen because it has a satisfying weight, it writes very smoothly without smearing on the plastic safe drop bags we use at work, doesn't leak, and it fits my preferred aesthetic of dark matte colors along the "cool" side of the color spectrum. Another I got for $10 for work because it has a mini screwdriver built in which I use several times a week to replace the battery in someone's car remote, a touch screen stylus end, and I like the grip and wieght of it. And it came with 3 replacement ink cartridges.

I'm doing research to get a set of very high quality mechanical pencils and pens for at home. I am very picky about pencils and pens, notebooks, etc.

I spent around $100 on amythist dice, a handmade dice box that looks like a big book, and a nice little dice holder thing for that dice set. She uses the box and the dice every time we play. Just having it at the table makes her happier. The dice roll well, feel good in the hand, and they're gorgeous.

One of the best things about not being broke anymore, is being able to actually get the nice versions of my favorite things.

My best friend wishes that dnd books had less art in them, and I just can't relate. I doubt I'd ever buy physical copies if they weren't full of good art that evokes exactly what the book is talking about. I love the art in MotM. The image for Deep Gnomes is just wonderful. I want to play that exact character now. The art for Duergar? Oh man I'm gonna use them more than I used to do just because of that art.
For me, the descriptions of duergar in various editions tells me everything i need to know about them. Like reading a novel, I can then make my own mental image of what they look like without being limited by art.

The only time art really turned me on to a RPG product was the original Planescape art in 2e. Tony DiTerlizzi's work was and is amazing.

Mercurius

Legend
I feel that way about other stuff (old books, maps, pocketwatches, just not pictures really. I don't like having to pay for fancy art I don't really care about, but it is what it is.
I hear you - and feel somewhat similarly about Spelljammer, because I'd mostly want it for the setting stuff, and have no interest in the slipcase. So I'd much rather have seen a 256-page + hardcover book.
I think this needs to be talked about more. Playing RPGs and collecting RPGs are separate hobbies. There's clearly a lot of overlap, but they're not the same thing. Like playing RPGs and collecting terrain, or collecting terrain and building terrain. There's clear overlap, but they're not the same hobbies.
Add world-building as an over-lapping hobby unto itself (there exist world-builders who don't player RPGs).

It would make for a good thread, I'd say: the "sub-hobbies of RPGs," although to be fair, some are distinct hobbies in their own right (e.g. worldbuilding, miniature collecting, etc). Hmm, maybe later...

First off, I love Mitch Hedberg (RIP).

Second of all, I know exactly which pen-stylus you're talking about - several companies make it (e.g. Troika). I was looking at that just recently.

But yes, I'm very picky about such things as well, and almost always prefer metal. If you want any suggestions on mechanical pencils, send me a PM - don't want to derail the thread (too much). The reddit page on mechanical pencils is fun to browse, although it likely won't do wonders for your wallet. My favorites that I own are the Kaweco Brass Special and the Caran D'Ache Ecridor. I also love the Kaweco Sketch Up - just a fun chuck of metal.

Another example are notebooks, as you mentioned. I've settled on the Blackwing Slate as my go-to for something I carry around, which is somewhat unfortunate as it is a bit more expensive than average - and far more than the type of cheap notebook you find in drug stores.

I haven't looked at MotM, but I hear you. The aesthetic (and artistic) experience is part of it, which is also why I relate with folks who don't like whatever the latest art trend is. And also why I'm happy when the alt cover of a new D&D book is not to my liking! (e.g. the Spelljammer set), but sucks when I missed out on an alt cover I do like, but has since risen in price beyond what I'm willing to pay for (e.g. Tasha's).

I mean, I extend this to other hobbies - I like to collect old 1960s-70s mass market science fiction and fantasy novels, because some of the "New Wave" art is just so fun. In general, when I'm looking for an out-of-print book, I look to see what editions exist so I can get the cover that is most aesthetically pleasing to me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases