• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is the Champion weak compared to Battle Master?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
One of the nice things about a rogue/battlemaster build is that there's so many different ways to balance the two classes for different outcomes:

I can see stopping at anywhere between Rogue 4-12 and Fighter 5-8 or 11-12.

Xxandx

First Post
For my Battle Master and his style of play, I think a few Rogue levels would make him better at what he already does. And also make him more leathal on his own if anything should happen.

The Rogues have some nice class features as well! Expertise alone would make my ability to knock targets prone better as it doubles skills proficiancy bonus.

Xxandx

First Post
When a Fighter hits level 11 he has 3 attacks + action surge + reactions and bonus actions, that can add up to alot.
Adding 4-5 levels Rogue class with that granting you Sneak Attacks when you have advantage. That's ekstra (2d6-3d6).

Last edited:

Gaea Games

First Post
I often wondered about maybe merging the two, for making a Fighter class that's a little closer in terms of competence across the board to their spellcasting compatriots. People could still do a simple Fighter if they wanted, but that has never, ever been an issue for any group I play in. Quite the opposite: we usually want the Fighter to be more of a Warrior. That is, lots of mental discipline, lots of skills training that doesn't just involve combat, and so on. Some day I might just make my own, though.

Xxandx

First Post
But a warrior/fighter can be many things. Depends on how you wanna play them. My fighter is Dexterity based, fighting with a shield and a finesse weapon. Milticlassing him a little whit the Rogue class won't make him any less fighter. I think it can make him better at what he already does.
Veriety in the group is what we like. There is no need for everyone to have all the same skills and fighting abilities.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Cool. Be sure to check out the Waterborne material published in the last Unearthed Arcana: there are options for both fighters and rogues that support this sort of build.

Kit Strong

First Post
Does this mean that at low-levels, with only one attack per round, I can either attack OR use this ability, or can I attack AND use this ability as a bonus action? I don't really like the idea of forgoing my own attack just to let the Rogue take another swipe...
I'm not so sure that would actually work since the PHB states that sneak attack can only be performed once per turn.

A simple question. It seems to me that Battle Master just blows Champion out of the water in most situations.

Am I missing something?

Like most classes, it depends entirely on the campaign and context. There's probably something about your playstyle which favors the Battlemaster. Maybe you lean more on big solo monsters than mobs of hobgoblins, and you play at mid-levels (6-9)? The longer your fights go (i.e. the more enemies there are), the less impact a battlemaster's dice will have on the outcome and the more chance the Champion's extra fighting style at 10th level has to make a difference.

And of course, by 18th level the Champion becomes an orc killer par excellence due to regeneration. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads