D&D Movie/TV Is the D&D TV Show Based On Drizzt?

We don't know much about the D&D TV show yet. Here's what we do know. The writer is Derek Kolstad (John Wick). It will be 6-10 serialized episodes. It's a work in process and as yet untitled. WotC has just launched a "Summer of Drizzt" PR campaign, which includes an animated short with Benedict Cumberbatch narrating. The accompanying press release said "A live action tv show is in development...

We don't know much about the D&D TV show yet. Here's what we do know.
  • The writer is Derek Kolstad (John Wick).
  • It will be 6-10 serialized episodes.
  • It's a work in process and as yet untitled.
  • WotC has just launched a "Summer of Drizzt" PR campaign, which includes an animated short with Benedict Cumberbatch narrating.
  • The accompanying press release said "A live action tv show is in development with eOne entertainment and, although not focused on Drizzt, a movie set in the Forgotten Realms starring Chris Pine, Hugh Grant, Rege-Jean Page, Michelle Rodriguez, Sophia Lillis, and Justice Smith is in production." That reads like the former is Drizzt, the latter isn't.
  • ComicBook.com asked WotC directly, who said "the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie was "not focused on Drizzt, but there is a TV show in development that might be."
  • The TV show was confirmed to be set in the Underdark. The approach is a "tinier sliver" of the world, compared to epic stories like Lord of the Rings. He compares it to Star Wars and Jaws. He mentioned that he's like to go "deeper and deeper into the Underdark".
  • See this interview with the writer on Collider.
There's novels and statues and stuff all available or coming out this summer, plus Funko POPS, MtG cards and more.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 10.58.17 PM.png

imagineGod

Legend
I'm really missing "Drow Classic." The new variants generally look kind of sickly.
If Wizards of the Coast are honest with fans in diversifying drow, nothing stops all variants existing side by side, Ike with humans. Obviously, there may be certain Lloth level xenophobic cities, but even those can show other different drow in subservient roles to the earlier dark editions of drow.
for2.jpg

Last edited:

Do you think animation would be better? Invincible is a cartoon for adults, and lot of anime titles aren't for children. I mean it would be cheaper than action-live if lots of expensive FXs were necessary.

Other matter is what will happens when Hasbro-Paramount deal ends in the next years. I guess Disney will try to offer something, showing Onwald as example to promote Hasbro franchises, but Netflix will also want to produce something about the Hasbro brands.

MarkB

Legend
Do you think animation would be better? Invincible is a cartoon for adults, and lot of anime titles aren't for children. I mean it would be cheaper than action-live if lots of expensive FXs were necessary.
Animated isn't necessarily better or worse, but we're already effectively getting a D&D animated series in the form of Legend of Vox Machina. WotC/Hasbro may want to keep their media differentiated for now.

Reynard

Legend

Other matter is what will happens when Hasbro-Paramount deal ends in the next years. I guess Disney will try to offer something, showing Onwald as example to promote Hasbro franchises, but Netflix will also want to produce something about the Hasbro brands.
Netflix has been producing some really good western anime lately. I would love to see an Eberron Anime from them.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
While it's still something I'd give a watch, I gotta say a TV show focused heavily on the Drow/Underdark is enormously disappointing to me. I had become thoroughly sick of both by the end of the 90's and still very much am.

Remove ads

Remove ads