D&D 5E Is the Default Playstyle of 5E "Monty Haul?"

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
That to me reads like, "everyone should like the same things,and if you don't it is your problem". Shouldn't the DM's enjoyment matter at least as much as everyone else?
Yes, it does. But when everyone else in the group is having fun, only not the DM. Perhaps the better option is the DM finding a like-minded group rather than trying to make things unfun for everyone else in their current group.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm sure that I missed at least a couple. Given Melisandre's questionable humanity & the value of BA it seemed fitting to quote the faith of R'hllor. :D
I am thinking some of those may be independent 5e issues not saying not issues but I am not thinking they map to bounded accuracy .... the encounters per adventuring day issue for instance could you focus fire how that one is BA related?

I mean potentially swingy encounters because the d20 has functionally twice or more times the impact compared to skills or player choices etc than a previous edition(s) has probably makes CR less reliable than it might have a chance to be.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
That to me reads like, "everyone should like the same things,and if you don't it is your problem". Shouldn't the DM's enjoyment matter at least as much as everyone else?

Shouldn't you be gaming with those that like the same things in the game that you do?

Maybe I'm spoiled, but my players and I are basically on the same page as to what we like in our gaming.

And for me, when I'm DMing, if everyone is engaged and having fun, then so am I. As @Jahydin said, it's one of the main reasons I DM.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'll point out that there's a strong ethos, both in fiction and the real world that works against this "No man left behind." "Devil take the hindmost" is not a position people are required to share, especially in a game where many of them think they're playing heroes.
:🤷: If they all want to heroically die instead of only having one heroically die so the others can esacpe, that's up to them. EDIT to add: And even the one left behind as the slowest runner is still heroically dying...or so the Bards will say later, anyway. :)

To me, though, survival of the party - as in, that there's at least one survivor such that the same party/story/quest/etc. can continue - is more important than survival of any one character.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Don't threaten me with a good time.
If characters are known by the players to be immortal then what's stopping them from wrecking the game by doing things that would otherwise be suicidal; and in so doing completely shattering any sort of believability?

Because there's no middle ground here - characters are either immortal and can't die or they're not, and can die. What this means is that someone can't legitimately say "Oh, I'll only kill them if they do something stupid"; because if they can die to that they can die to anything else that would logically kill them, whether or not it took stupidity to get them to that point.

Vaalingrade

Legend
If characters are known by the players to be immortal then what's stopping them from wrecking the game by doing things that would otherwise be suicidal; and in so doing completely shattering any sort of believability?
Exactly! Things are going to get AWESOME.

Break out the electric, flame-shooting guitars! No need to pack pants, boys; where we're going, we won't need them! Rock and roll forever!

Jahydin

Hero
Hmmm, not what I was going for.

Every DM is going to have a different answer to "What if your players are having fun, but you're not?", so when I answered, I gave my personal opinion. That's all.

I remember finishing an 8 hour long 5e session and thinking to myself, "That was the worst game ever." Monsters were to easy, PCs figured out the NPC was plotting against them two sessions early, and the mage found a ring that trivialized my best trap. But then the next day, my phone was flooded with messages of how much fun everyone had. Oh, and their girlfriends heard about it too, and now they want to play. Also one of their little brothers is interested, what Starter Box should they buy...

Anyways, for me, that much happiness and excitement more than outweighs my thoughts on the game being "too easy". So as long as I can play PF2e, C&C, Hyperboria, or WWN regularly, I don't mind playing 5E on the side for those that want me too.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Hmmm, not what I was going for.

Every DM is going to have a different answer to "What if your players are having fun, but you're not?", so when I answered, I gave my personal opinion. That's all.

I remember finishing an 8 hour long 5e session and thinking to myself, "That was the worst game ever." Monsters were to easy, PCs figured out the NPC was plotting against them two sessions early, and the mage found a ring that trivialized my best trap. But then the next day, my phone was flooded with messages of how much fun everyone had. Oh, and their girlfriends heard about it too, and now they want to play. Also one of their little brothers is interested, what Starter Box should they buy...

Anyways, for me, that much happiness and excitement more than outweighs my thoughts on the game being "too easy". So as long as I can play PF2e, C&C, Hyperboria, or WWN regularly, I don't mind playing 5E on the side for those that want me too.
I get that, and I'm actually really happy for you. Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to play any other game with any regularity. It has be 5e for my fantasy fix (I may have a shot with a non-fantasy game, still working on that). To that end, I have made extensive modifications to make the game more palatable for me, while not alienating my players. This is why I use Level Up as my base. I'm very glad it exists, because WotC is taking 6e in entirely the opposite direction of what I want (doubling down on their simplicity axiom), so I know 2024 is a non-starter.

Remove ads