D&D 5E Is the Poison Spray Cantrip any good?

While there is nothing wrong with it per se, there are other cantrips that mechanically are better IMO.

As others have said, Poison is a common resistance (along with Fire) and quite a few do have immunity. It compensates for that with the d12 a bit, but also relies on a CON save, which CON is one of the highest ability scores overall in the game. Since creatures with high HP will likely have good CON scores, that d12 damage counts for even less.

But, all that being said, if you want to take it, go for it! It will still prove useful enough and you don't always have to take the "optimal" choice to have fun. :)

Specifically, all but one creature in the undead category are immune to poison - so if your dm like zombies (or just dislikes using intelligent enemies all the time because you always end up talking and the fighters getting frustrated because they can't fight) , this cantrip will be effectively useless for you. If undead were merely resistant this wouldn't be a big deal because cantrips aren't about big damage anyways.

Also a bunch of fiends are immune, but those are higher level so at least those aren't a problem in average games. But undead make up a ton of the low-level monsters.

J-H

Hero
I feel like it would be better (if perhaps a bit OP) if it was a 10' line (which would hit a 5x10 rectangle) instead. CON or nothing is pretty rough.... although I suppose it compares favorably to Sacred Flame??

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I feel like it would be better (if perhaps a bit OP) if it was a 10' line (which would hit a 5x10 rectangle) instead. CON or nothing is pretty rough.... although I suppose it compares favorably to Sacred Flame??
Then it would remind me of something like a minor Tidal Wave.

Vael

Legend
I wouldn't take it, even when I know undead aren't going to feature strongly in an encounter, because of the CON save and short range. Three strikes against it in exchange for the best damage? Not good enough, IMO.

Gadget

Adventurer
Well, the cons of the cantrip are:
  1. Very poor range, you're practically in melee to use.
  2. One of the worst damage types in the game; many foes are resistant or outright immune to poison damage
  3. A Constitution save for no damage. Con Saves are usually fairly high for many monsters/NPCs.
The pros are:
  1. Highest Cantrip Damage die in the game; lacks Toll the Dead's requirement that the target be injured to get the d12 die.
  2. Err...Can be useful for a more melee focused caster, where the Range isn't much of an issue.

guachi

Hero
I could see taking it if I were an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight where being in melee isn't the worst place to be. The low range is really crippling, though.

Remove ads