D&D 4E Is there a "Cliffs Notes" summary of the entire 4E experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't really understand the analogy or the gist of your claim of illegitimacy, to be honest. Are you sure you've understood the issue at hand?
There's several topic being discussed simultaneously in this thread. We may have drifted into this tangent from two different ones, sure.

For starters, see post #272 and the spoilers under "Well, it's been 6 years, but sure" under post #267. They're rationalizationing why they don't like pistachio, and you seem to be calling that illegitimate? To what end?
#227 is the explanation of "Dissociative" that relies on a difference between what the character knows about his resources and what the player knows. For instance, if your fighter has taken 12 hps of damage in a battle with orcs, he knows he's had some close calls and he's been wounded, though not enough to impair his ability to fight back. He doesn't know what will happen if he gets hit by an axe again: it might graze him or it might cut his head clean off, axes, afterall are quite capable of doing either. /You/ know that your fighter had 13 hps at the start of the battle and another hit is guaranteed to drop him.

That's dissociative (by the given definition), and it's been so for the entire history of the game. Yet 'Dissociative Mechanics" was coined to attack 4e - for doing something that RPGs had been doing since the very beginning.

That is not a /legitimate/ criticism.

267 said:
And when the fighter's player says "I spin around with my weapon out to trip everyone again!", why can't he do that? Per the story being told, he's a talented warrior with elite combat training, he doesn't need to follow the arbitrary rules of magic, he just needs to spin around with his weapon.
Actually, the explanation given in the PH1 for martial dailies being limited in use is that they require calling upon 'deep reserves' and are exhausting. Yes, selectively exhausting. So, by accepting the (entirely arbitrary and contrary-to-genre) rationale for the wizard having a daily and rejecting the ('unrealistic,' but not particularly counter-genre) rational for the fighter having a daily, '267,' here, is giving us a perfect example of willfully /making/ a mechanic Dissociative.

Kraztur

First Post
Well, yes, if and only if you expect all powers to be "associated". I'm not suggesting that 4e is "associated". It (rightly) didn't make it a priority. So again, it's only a problem if that's you wanted to be the game to be. It's not inherently problematic, which is the point I'm continuing to make.
I think it's an important point too.

It's important to accept that 4E is what it is. If Bob knows or has discovered that 4E does not offer a "traditional" or pre-4e D&D experience, and yet he still expects 4E to offer a traditional D&D experience, then his unhappiness is essentially (no pun intended) his problem.

I would be interested to know if anyone who talks about dissociated mechanics is actually still unhappy 6 years later because 4E is not what he/she had expected after discovering its intended nature.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's not necessarily hard to swap between the two quickly, moment-to-moment, but they don't happen at the same time. Let me put it this way: When you control the story itself (like, you decide as a player what treasure you find in the dungeon, a la 4e wishlists) you are necessarily thinking out-of-character, because people don't control the events around them, they only control their own actions (that character doesn't decide what treasure is there).
No, I'm not arguing that the two are different; I can just usually keep up the "feels" of the immersive stance even when I have to make a calculation about the game rules and where to apply them. To be fair, digressions of more than 20-30 seconds and I'll start to lose my buzz, which is why I loathe some of the old school spell descriptions.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree, though I feel a bit of an odd duck again because for me it is both my favorite and my least favorite. ;)
I'm with you. I'm certainly not defending every element of 4e. While I do defend the narrative/indie elements of 4e and I feel that they (for me) added a lot to the game, that doesn't mean I don't wish that the rollout and initial presentation hadn't been more modest and tried harder to keep interest from people. I would have loved 4e almost as much if it started out with the Essential classes and divine healing only.

Nagol

Unimportant

It's important to accept that 4E is what it is. If Bob knows that 4E does not offer a "traditional" or pre-4e D&D experience, and yet he still expects 4E to offer a traditional D&D experience, then his unhappiness is essentially (no pun intended) his problem.

I would be interested to know if anyone who talks about dissociated mechanics is actually still unhappy 6 years later because 4E is not what he/she had expected.

No. I play other games.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

It's important to accept that 4E is what it is. If Bob knows or has discovered that 4E does not offer a "traditional" or pre-4e D&D experience, and yet he still expects 4E to offer a traditional D&D experience, then his unhappiness is essentially (no pun intended) his problem.
Bingo.

Kraztur

First Post
#227 is the explanation of "Dissociative" that relies on a difference between what the character knows about his resources and what the player knows. For instance, if your fighter has taken 12 hps of damage in a battle with orcs, he knows he's had some close calls and he's been wounded, though not enough to impair his ability to fight back. He doesn't know what will happen if he gets hit by an axe again: it might graze him or it might cut his head clean off, axes, afterall are quite capable of doing either. /You/ know that your fighter had 13 hps at the start of the battle and another hit is guaranteed to drop him.

That's dissociative (by the given definition), and it's been so for the entire history of the game. Yet 'Dissociative Mechanics" was coined to attack 4e - for doing something that RPGs had been doing since the very beginning.

That is not a /legitimate/ criticism.
First, I'd like to see the definition you're going with, because there seems to be several. I'd also like to know exactly what criticism is not legitimate. The criticism I infer from your post is not the criticism I believe anyone is stating.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
What I find mind boggling is that people who claim to hate dissociatve mechanics will not wory about hitpoints which are completely dissociative. (part meat largely not)

Hit points are so familiar people forget they are gibberish but worry about "Come & Get It", one of my favourite powers for the cool action movie images it conjures.

Anyway dissociative has not worried me since I realised D&D was a terrible simulation of reality & a fun game (1983)

That's a fair point. Hit points are the egregious example but there are plenty of others as well. And to be honest, I really, really don't like hit points, but the game doesn't feel like D&D without them, so I put up with them. 4E introduced things that bother me as much as hit points, but I don't have a compelling reason to put up with them, so I don't.

Balesir

Adventurer
[MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION] and [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] have covered many of the points on the "dissociated mechanics" malarkey very well already, but I'll make a few observations from my point of view.

(e.g. a wound is dealt when hit points are lost).
Speaking for myself, divorcing hit points from physical wounds increases the space for immersion and plausibility hugely. Hit points in 4E work for me because they relate to exactly what the character I'm playing knows - which is how they feel. The idea that a creature is minutely acquainted with the wounds they have sustained in the middle of a fight seems bizarre to me. In hazardous, punishing and damaging circumstances what you know is how you feel, not what abrasions, lesions and biochemical imbalances you have. 4E hit points, better than any previous D&D version of hit points, give me that.

There's a difference between being allowed to try something, even when the odds of success are nil, and being disallowed from making the attempt at all. One puts the agency in the hands of the PCs, and lets them succeed or fail on their own accord, even if failure is guaranteed. The other removes the agency to even make the attempt in the first place - there's no question of success or failure if you can't try.

For any of these, ask yourself if you can attempt an action, or if the game rules flat-out disallow the action with no in-game explanation for why. If it's the latter, then it's dissociated, and that's a problem (one that leads to the Rule 0 Fallacy when you try to explain it away).
P42 allows you to try to "trip" or whatever to your heart's content. It won't be as effective as a power, but that is because you are not working "with the flow".

What's perhaps more important is that the (abstracted) limitations at least take some account of psychological and circumstantial limitations on the use of skills. If you want a "true" simulation of a creature's resources, they should include limited span and capacity of attention on the surroundings, will to win, capacity to focus and concentrate, biochemical limitations on muscle use and energy conversion, limitations due to emotional balance (or lack thereof) and so it goes on. It sometimes seems to me that the biggest fantasy element that objection to "dissociative" mechanics betokens is that the (player) characters are devoid of all such tedious limitations. How this is believable or even "associative" I really don't know. After all, it's saying that your character can't even attempt to get tired without any really good reason why they cannot...

The powers, from what I've seen of them, don't necessarily grant results; they grant the ability to try, which PCs already have anyway. You're not stating that the enemy is necessarily open to a trip attempt, just that you're making the attempt. Likewise, if you can draw your enemies towards you as an instance of being able to co-opt what the NPCs do, then why tie this to a character-specific ability at all, which requires an action and is tied to a particular class (if not level)? It's better to divorce that entirely from character properties, instead of sending what could charitably be described as a mixed message.
Powers in 4E grant the opportunity to pull a stunt that might result in a defined outcome. Different classes have more or less aptitude at certain types of outcome. The techniques they use to achieve those outcomes will be many and varied, but a fully accomplished fighter - just like a fully accomplished general - should certainly have in her repertoire an array of psychological and deception-based tricks and methods.

Strictly speaking, that's not an issue of dissociation per se - dissociation is an issue of a metagame function (particularly where it applies to a character) having no corresponding in-game element.
There is always an in-game element. It just may not be defined by the power. I really fail to see why this is a problem; the game is supposed to be one of imagination.

Pretty much any action in a combat will rely on a whole bunch of circumstances and resources (as mentioned above). The actions of the opponent are at least as influential in what a fighter does as is their own intent. An attack is almost never simply a matter of "taking a swing" and either connecting or missing; it is a whole sequence of counters and counter-counters partly anticipated and partly done by reflex or fast response. A "power" in this sense is not a specific "move" or "trick" but rather a thorough understanding of combat such that circumstances can be moulded towards a specific outcome. Sometimes this moulding will fail - but sometimes it will succeed. Once per fight (or once per "day") a combination of opportunity, focus, mental balance and determination will give an optimal chance for this outcome to be reached for. The specifics will vary every time, but the result will be of the same character, because it's one of the character's "signature" effects.

In other words, as [MENTION=87792]Neonchameleon[/MENTION] has said before, it makes perfect sense from an immersive "fighter's" point of view, if you are prepared to let it.

That reminds me of a big argument about it happening here on Enworld.
A power, I do not know the name, stunned a creature by making it believe it was falling down a cliff.
The question was if a naturally flying creature was also affected.

One side argued that only the effect of the spell, namely the 1 round stun, mattered and thus the creature would be affected. The other side argued that a flying creature would not be stunned by a cliff appearing under it thus the spell should fail.

In the end it comes down to what it more important. The mechanical/math part of the game or the imaginative/fluff part of the game.
And in my eyes, 4E made it quite clear where it priorities were which was not the same side I was one.
I think this gets to the heart of what the "dissociative" arguments are about. Some folks don't like rules that define outcomes instead of methodologies. 4E comes down on the side of "the outcome is what the power provides, not the method". I.e. the stun happens whether the target flies or not; the "falling off a cliff" is merely indicative/evocative of the precise technique used. We assume that the (hardened, heroic adventurer) mage casting the spell is well aware that the target can fly (or maybe that them "missing" with the power arises because they don't realise this) and so they make appropriate adjstments to the illusion that they use. We assume that the character is capable and competent. We assume that they fit their actions to the specifics of the situation - including the ones that we imagine they might be aware of but the player isn't. Just as we imagine that they visit the "restroom" as appropriate and live their daily lives during downtime without the player needing to detail every action.

Preference for a "rules say how a thing acts" paradigm rather than "rules say what the outcome is" paradigm is essentially a preference for negotiation and personal world models determining outcomes rather than the rules. There is nothing essentially wrong with that, but let's be clear what it is. This feeds straight back to what [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] was saying about engaging the rules being playing the game rather than engaging the rules being an (optional) addendum to playing the game. If the real determinant of outcome is discussion and negotiation then rules are really rather secondary.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads