• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is there a "Cliffs Notes" summary of the entire 4E experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said that, to me, this is shared story writing and not roleplaying. I make no claim that one is the slightest bit better than the other. But they are distinctly different things.

They are not "distinctly different things", because there is absolutely no clear distinction between them, and a huge number of games which are called RPGs would be "shared storytelling" if your apparent "any player narrative control AT ALL = shared storytelling" definition hold, including some official D&D settings.

At best, it's a crap definition because all it does is pretend some RPGs aren't "real RPGs" because the DM isn't the only one with narrative control. Any definition of "RPG" that disincludes FATE and Dungeon World is totally without merit.

Also, KM's assertion is outright wrong, whoever he's making it to.

Nagol

Unimportant
They are not "distinctly different things", because there is absolutely no clear distinction between them, and a huge number of games which are called RPGs would be "shared storytelling" if your apparent "any player narrative control AT ALL = shared storytelling" definition hold, including some official D&D settings.

At best, it's a crap definition because all it does is pretend some RPGs aren't "real RPGs" because the DM isn't the only one with narrative control. Any definition of "RPG" that disincludes FATE and Dungeon World is totally without merit.

"the DM isn't the only one with narrative control" looks like a perfectly clear distinction for RPG sub-genres to me.

Shared storytelling I reserve for games like Atlas Games' Once Upon a Time.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
4E does not say "IF U WRITE IT ON A SHEET THA DM MUST GIVE IT 2 U".

No, and I didn't say that it did.

I said that the wishlist mechanic, from a character's perspective, makes items you want appear in the world.

That's the purpose and intent of it. If it doesn't DO that, there's not much of a point in it. And it's fine like that -- there's nothing objectively WRONG with that mechanic. It's good in a game where most magic items are very specific and an essential part of character power to have a player have some control over what they specifically get.

But it is not a mechanic that it is possible to use in-character.

It isn't a rule. It isn't a mechanic in any conventional sense. It's a way of doing things, that is optional, that is suggested, but isn't actually forced on you.

It's the way the DMG recommends you awarding items, no?

"The trickiest part of awarding treasure is determine what magic items to give out. Tailor these items to your party of characters. Remember that these are supposed to be items that excite the characters, items they want to use rather than sell or disenchant. If none of the characters in your 6th-level party uses a longbow, don't put a 10th-level longbow in your dungeon as treasure.

A great way to make sure you give players magic items they'll be excited about is to ask them for wish lists....(etc.)"

So the 4e DMG explicitly states that the characters find items they want, and recommends a wishlist as a way to ensure that.

So a play experience following those recommendations would have items the characters desire appearing in the treasure hoards.

Which is fine, but not an in-character mechanic for treasure.

A lot of people also pretended stuff was "mechanics" when it was actually merely approaches, or ways of doing things, which didn't actually have to follow. This is a great example of that. Your entire argument here is based on the ridiculous position that if the players wrote what magic items they wanted for their PCs down, the DM was somehow forced to grant it.

No, it isn't.

Last edited:

Kraztur

First Post
If someone is using "dissociated mechanics" in some other sense from the Alexandrian's, that actually makes sense, and can explain why Wushu is a good roleplaying game but 4e is not a roleplaying game at all, then I'm all ears.
I think I have the following concerns with the Alexandrian's essay:

1) dissociated mechanics > not an RPG? If he said that, this is clearly misguided, although beyond the scope of this thread IMO

2) he appropriated the feeling of "dissociation" for 4E only, and coined the term as to apply to 4E. Presumably, he never experienced this feeling until he read 4E. From his POV, 4E is then responsible for this feeling. Someone playing 1E who was impaled on a horn for 50 damage and still acts unimpaired might feel "dissociation" too (but never uses that term). I presume he thinks that 4E's non-traditional design philosophy is uniquely formulated to produce a certain feeling of dissociation for him, in a way that other versions do not.

3) he labelled the mechanic as dissociated, instead of labelling a situation as feeling dissociated. That's like if you wear a shirt, and you don't think you look good in the shirt, so you call the shirt dissociated, rather than saying "I don't associate well with this shirt".

That said, I sort of understand (but not necessarily sympathize) why he focused on the mechanic, and not a subjective situation. If there is a simulationist mechanic that reads as plausible and plays out likeably for him, but the mechanic results in a feeling of "dissociation" during corner cases, then he can handwave it as a corner case. Like if your [insert a gadget you like] works well most of the time, but occasionally it frustrates you, you still like your gadget. You don't blame the gadget as a whole. But if the gadget doesn't appeal to you from the get-go, it's human nature to call it a stupid (or something) gadget. I think the same principle was in force when he labelled a mechanic or set of mechanics as "dissociated".

Conversely, the feeling is apparently a real one. It's unfortunate that it's part of the lexicon and yet is so frustrating in its origin and application.

But if someone is using "dissociated mechanics" as the Alexandrian does, then I absolutely know what it means.
I still think there's something more to it. I've been defining it as the feeling of lack of association that occurs when a rule or set of rules prescribes so-and-so to the player, and the player wants or imagines something perceptibly different for the character (but can't have it, either by the RAW or game table dynamics, real or imagined, incentivized by the rules). All other sub-definitions can fit under that umbrella. But that's a work in progress.

It means a metagame mechanic that that person doesn't like, probably because they find that it spoils their immersion.
If that is in fact, the definition, perhaps a more useful term is to say "this mechanics affects my suspension of disbelief". If you're not holding suspension of disbelief in play, it's not an issue. If the mechanic (upon reading or in play) doesn't feel like it impinges on your suspension of disbelief, it's not an issue.

Can't help but admit - those are much more thorough definitions.

I think the level of hostility towards the Alexandrian is somewhat unwarranted - when I read the article, I saw a writer attempting to explain what he didn't like about a particular system; expressing his preference, as it were.

If the article were to have been left there and barely spoken of again, you might have a point. But it wasn't. "Disassociated Mechanics" were nonsense based on The Alexandrian not understanding the setting when they were written. And then went on to be one of the battlecries in the edition wars. With The Alexandrian himself trumpeting them.

As such they are an ill-thought out and dismissive term that have been debunked many times over (by [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], myself, and many others) and yet they come back again and again. The argument is not new and it is not relevant. It's not the direct insult that declaring 4E to not be an RPG or declaring it to be a board game is. What it is is a statement that there will be almost nothing except warmed over edition war to see here.

Emphasis mine... You tend to gloss over this alot in other discussions about page 42... but I think it's a pretty important factor in why the argument that you could use table 42 to replicate powers doesn't fly with many people. They arguably left out the most important part of replicating a power, the conditions it imposes...

The conditions the power imposes are based on the fiction - what is actually going on in the game world.

EDIT: The other possibility I have pondered is that these rules were purposefully left out of the DMG to hamper the creation of powers, since once you are able to do that it greatly diminishes the need to buy further sourcebooks for new powers.

Creating powers isn't hard. The hard part is getting them onto the character builder.

I don't think you understand.

It is empirically and universally true that our desires do not change the makeup or organization of the world around us.

It is also true that a character's desires change the makeup of the world of 4e in that they desire an item, and find it in a treasure hoard.

I assume that you are familiar with the in character and out of character split. Your item wishlist is something that you make (if at all) out of character. You then say to the DM "I think getting these would be cool for my character." The DM nods and takes the list and probably works most of it in to their story.

You may also be familiar with the terms Watsonian and Doylist.

From a Doylist perspective why the item is there is because DM and PC think it will be fun. But in universe the whole thing can have whatever backstory the DM chooses. And it was always there. Or someone made it yesterday.

This not given an explanation or a justification. It is simply how the game mechanic works.

The game mechanic: You are encouraged to make out of character requests to the DM. They are encouraged to fulfil them.

Kamikaze Midget's explanation of this: If you wish for something in character then it will physically affect the universe.

Right.

Thus, this is a mechanic that is largely impossible to play in-character

Obviously. It's never suggested as an in character mechanic. Neither is picking up a d20.

Tolkien can say if there is a handy fist sized rock behind the tree stump. Gimli might want a handy fist sized rock, but Gimli has no power to make it be true. If you are roleplaying Gimli then you have no powers that Gimli does not have.

OK. BryonD's version:

Gimli: I look round. I know from your previous description we're in a field, and there are sheep in that corner.
DM: Yes
Gimli: I pick up a rock and throw it into the cave entrance.
DM: How? Where do you get the rock from?
Gimli: *sighs* This ground is fairly flat?
DM: Yes.
Gimli: And it's a sheep field?
DM: Yes...?
Gimli: So it's not a field where people grow crops?
DM: It's a sheep field
Gimli: But wheat is more profitable than sheep. Which is why you graze sheep on marginal land.
DM: Go on...
Gimli: And the soil round here is pretty good. And the land isn't poisoned or you wouldn't graze sheep here.
DM: Where are you going with this?
Gimli: Which means that the big problem with this field must be planting crops.
DM: Go on...
Gimli: And this field is near a cave. Which means stone. And there will be stones near the cave because it's rocky.
DM: You want a rock, don't you.
Gimli: Especially as they aren't ploughing this field. Mind marking on where there are a few fist sized rocks so I can pick up one to throw in the cave?
DM and Gimli: Phew!

4E version:

Gimli: I'm in a slightly rocky sheep field. I pick up a fist sized rock from behind that tree stump and throw it at the cave entrance.

Because seriously, the ability to find a fist sized rock where one is likely to be only adds to the gameworld and prevents either massive shutdowns by the DM or people getting fed up of improvising being rebuffed. You can't declare you find the guard's keys if you're in a prison. But if you could reasonably be expected to find something non-plot dependent letting the players declare it rather than play 20 Questions just saves everyone a whole lot of time. If it's not something consistent with that which is already present you shut it down - and I've never seen a player ask for it.

And as he firmly defended on more than one occasion, in 4E as he expressed it, the player DOES have this kind of power.

Something that aids my immersion from actor stance because it means that I can actually know things about the world.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Neonchameleon said:
The game mechanic: You are encouraged to make out of character requests to the DM. They are encouraged to fulfil them.

Kamikaze Midget's explanation of this: If you wish for something in character then it will physically affect the universe.
Obviously. It's never suggested as an in character mechanic. Neither is picking up a d20.

Right. Which is why I used it to respond to pemerton's (apparent) assertion that it's possible to use mechanics like this in-character.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
TwoSix said:
Yea, but I'm not making it up out of whole cloth here. It's written into the rules.

If you're referring to "page 42," then I'm given to understand that this is a shorthand for setting the DC of skill checks, rather than attack actions. Even if it's not, however, it's still a very inelegant design to have two completely different mechanics to resolve the same action "just because." It's also still dissociated that one use of that action in an "encounter" is somehow more effective than all the other times.

TwoSix said:
They do, and they should stick to trad RPGs.

Trad being "traditional RPG", with all of the characteristics of "associated mechanics", "process first", and "DM Rule 0" that go with it. Contrast with "indie".

They're trying to stick to them, but suddenly the "trad" RPGs are trying to reinvent themselves as some sort of hip new indie game. People tend to feel upset when the rug is yanked out from under them.

TwoSix said:
But they do work that way. That's the point I'm trying to make. I didn't "fix" anything. No Rule 0. Powers give authority to the player to have X happen. Anything else is resolved via player-DM negotiation and use of the skill/attribute system and page 42. Full stop.

See above. That doesn't make it better (nor does it undercut that the intent in the rules is pretty clearly to limit those actions that can be performed, rather than limiting the mechanics by which they're performed with).

TwoSix said:
With the caveat that spells can be restricted to X/day because magic is its own justification.

That's not a caveat - magic is it's own justification.

TwoSix said:
All games co-opt player's agency. By genre restriction, if nothing else. I don't know of too many RPGs that let you do anything you want, as often as you want. (maybe Chuubo's?)

But not all games co-opt the player's agency of their character which is the point. The character can try to do anything they want, unless they play 4E.

TwoSix said:
Well, yes, if and only if you expect all powers to be "associated". I'm not suggesting that 4e is "associated". It (rightly) didn't make it a priority. So again, it's only a problem if that's you wanted to be the game to be. It's not inherently problematic, which is the point I'm continuing to make.

Except that it is inherently problematic, because the first time the players try to exercise the character agency that's implicit in the 4E rules, they're going to run into completely artificial restrictions. You can argue that these are "soft" restrictions that are meant to be discouraging, rather than outrightly banning, certain actions, but there's still no in-game justification for why that is. 4E (wrongly) failed to make that a priority, limiting the character's options in the name of "only the fun options remain," which presumes far too much about what the players think of as being fun.

TwoSix said:
Who says he can't? He might get a crit. He might roll high. Maybe his ally inspires him to fight harder. But you (as a player) don't get to make that happen again.

That last sentence is key - you, the player, are given that agency for your character...and then it's suddenly stripped away for no reason whatsoever.

TwoSix said:
I gain exciting battles with badass fighters with a myriad of special techniques, and inspirational heroes who can get even the wounded to fight on. I'll take that over losing chain trippers and disarmers, thanks.

Except that for everyone else, it's a boring grind fest where they can't use their best attacks more than once for no particular reason - or if they can, then they're suddenly not working so well anymore because...stuff?

TwoSix said:
Come and Get It, the power emeritus of the dissociative discussion. And again, it's not "clear", since I think the action economy is abstract and easy to narrate over. Come and Get It is those few seconds where the fighter realizes three orcs are charging him, and readies his blade for a counterattack.

Again, being able to Rule 0 the problem doesn't mean it's not a problem. He's spending an action, to use a power that apparently only fighters can do (since it's limited to being a class power) and...it's not really something he's doing? That's not a very good explanation no matter how you slice it.

Balesir said:
Speaking for myself, divorcing hit points from physical wounds increases the space for immersion and plausibility hugely. Hit points in 4E work for me because they relate to exactly what the character I'm playing knows - which is how they feel. The idea that a creature is minutely acquainted with the wounds they have sustained in the middle of a fight seems bizarre to me. In hazardous, punishing and damaging circumstances what you know is how you feel, not what abrasions, lesions and biochemical imbalances you have. 4E hit points, better than any previous D&D version of hit points, give me that.

I'm not sure how you don't get this from hit point loss as physical damage, since a character is presumably going to feel it when they take wounds. The idea that they wouldn't be aware when something damages them, let alone have a sense of how bad the damage is, strikes me as exceptionally odd. When you're in a fight, you're going to know how your wounds feel. 4E, with its insistance that hit point loss could be wounds, or fatigue, or loss of luck, or loss of divine providence, etc. seems to fly in the face of your character knowing how they feel.

balesir said:
P42 allows you to try to "trip" or whatever to your heart's content. It won't be as effective as a power, but that is because you are not working "with the flow".

Presuming that you can use the skill rules for a combat power, there's no reason for it to suddenly be less effective - "working with the flow" doesn't have any meaning regarding why the character's agency is suddenly curtailed.

Balesir said:
What's perhaps more important is that the (abstracted) limitations at least take some account of psychological and circumstantial limitations on the use of skills. If you want a "true" simulation of a creature's resources, they should include limited span and capacity of attention on the surroundings, will to win, capacity to focus and concentrate, biochemical limitations on muscle use and energy conversion, limitations due to emotional balance (or lack thereof) and so it goes on. It sometimes seems to me that the biggest fantasy element that objection to "dissociative" mechanics betokens is that the (player) characters are devoid of all such tedious limitations. How this is believable or even "associative" I really don't know. After all, it's saying that your character can't even attempt to get tired without any really good reason why they cannot...

You're mistaking associated mechanics for some sort of "perfect" simulationism, which has never been what they are. Rather, associated mechanics are those where the metagame nature of the rules has a corresponding equivalent to what's happening in the game world; these are of paramount importance with regards to character actions, because the central nature of playing an RPG is that anything can be attempted. If there are some limitations on what can be attempted, these need to be correspondingly associated, which doesn't require a perfect model of reality down to the finest detail.

Balesir said:
Powers in 4E grant the opportunity to pull a stunt that might result in a defined outcome. Different classes have more or less aptitude at certain types of outcome. The techniques they use to achieve those outcomes will be many and varied, but a fully accomplished fighter - just like a fully accomplished general - should certainly have in her repertoire an array of psychological and deception-based tricks and methods.

Presuming that the stunt in question is purely physical in nature, then you already have that opportunity without requiring any "powers," otherwise the association is lost and you suddenly find yourself not being able to repeat an action for no in-game reason.

Now, when this is associated the problem goes away - higher-level fighters receive multiple attacks because their attack bonus has gone up, which is associated with their martial prowess; they can conserve their economy of actions enough to squeak out another attack in the same amount of time, not because they're moving faster (likewise, that this iterative attack is at a lesser bonus reflects that it's happening as something rushed and therefore with less technique). But being able to use a particular maneuver once, and then only being able to sloppily recreate it later lacks that degree of in-character sense.

Balesir said:
There is always an in-game element. It just may not be defined by the power. I really fail to see why this is a problem; the game is supposed to be one of imagination.

That's not the case where the power places an arbitrary limit on how many times it can be used in a fight (even if you amend this to say "well, you can try it again, but it won't work nearly as well this time because...stuff.").

Balesir said:
Pretty much any action in a combat will rely on a whole bunch of circumstances and resources (as mentioned above). The actions of the opponent are at least as influential in what a fighter does as is their own intent. An attack is almost never simply a matter of "taking a swing" and either connecting or missing; it is a whole sequence of counters and counter-counters partly anticipated and partly done by reflex or fast response. A "power" in this sense is not a specific "move" or "trick" but rather a thorough understanding of combat such that circumstances can be moulded towards a specific outcome. Sometimes this moulding will fail - but sometimes it will succeed. Once per fight (or once per "day") a combination of opportunity, focus, mental balance and determination will give an optimal chance for this outcome to be reached for. The specifics will vary every time, but the result will be of the same character, because it's one of the character's "signature" effects.

This "molding" fails far and away more than it succeeds, to the point where I don't believe it's a viable excuse for the restrictions you're proposing. Saying that miscellaneous circumstances will always serve to limit a character's agency except for the times when they just so happen to use their powers is highly arbitrary, as much as the GM saying "and now you've stepped on another pit trap, that's ten in a row!" to prevent you from going down the dungeon corridor he doesn't want you to go down.

balesir said:
In other words, as Neonchameleon has said before, it makes perfect sense from an immersive "fighter's" point of view, if you are prepared to let it.

The problem is that it's only immersive if you accept that arbitrary set of restrictions on your character's agency. If you want to go anywhere that the game doesn't funnel you, then suddenly the entire concept falls apart.

That reasoning is much like running with your eyes closed - there might be one particular path where it'll work just fine, but if you veer off that path just a little you'll slam into an obstacle.

pemerton said:
I'm one of those who find the healing spells, and their labels, nonsensical. I think the same is probably true for many of those who migrated from classic D&D mechanics to systems like Runequest and Rolemaster. Proportionate healing is one of the features of 4e that made it attractive to me.

As I said, I'm one of those who finds those to be a minor problem, right up there with "when's the last time your character actually ate some of his rations?" Up-ending an intuitive system of hit point loss being physical damage to solve one minor issue of proportional healing spells is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

pemerton said:
I am really having a lot of trouble with this.

My fighter PC prays for divine intervention, and the GM tells me that I receive no answer. The GM's reason for doing this is that I'm not a cleric, and the rules say only clerics can wield divine magic. Isn't that a metagame reason.

Not even slightly. For one thing, clerical training is necessarily in-character. More apropos is that praying for divine intervention is not the same as divine spellcasting, and is not governed by the same mechanics (if divine intervention has mechanics at all).

pemerton said:
Or, I declare my PC's attack against an adjacent goblin with my bow - but the goblin gets an OA, so attack first, and hits, and kills me because my PC had only 2 hp left. So my action declaration fails. That's a metagame reason - the reason I died was because of the action economy, which is metagame (the fact that the goblin is always quikcer than my archery is not some inherent property of the gameworld), and because I had only 2 hp left, which is metagame. (In the fiction, how was I different at 2 hp from when I had 10 hp?)

It's not metagame - you made the attempt, and failed. You still got to make the attempt in the first place; you were simply pre-empted before it reached completion. How is that at all similar to the GM answering "you don't have enough hit points to attack, despite being otherwise fully aware and able to act"?

pemerton said:
Of course narrative material can be introduced to support all these outcomes, but that is equally true for an encounter power.

You keep confusing having the ability to attempt to do anything with actually succeeding in that attempt. It's not a question of being able to hang flavor text off of something - it's a question of having an in-game narrative for why you can or cannot try to do something, regardless of how it turns out.

pemerton said:
And of course the player of a character with encounter powers is free to have his/her PC try whatever s/he wants. It's just that the attempt is likely to be unsuccessful (subject to stunting considerations of the sort that TwoSix and others have mentioned).

Except that you've curtailed their agency by hampering their character's chances for success (which is somehow supposed to be better than denying it outright), and then invented a fig-leaf reason of "no, I don't care what you say, your fighter's mental focus isn't good enough to try that maneuver with that same level of efficacy again" to justify it.

Quite simply, you're attempting to limit the character's agency without really having to do so in an attempt to force (or at least coerce) them into taking the "fun" options. That's railroading by another name.

pemerton said:
By Alzrius's standards, attacking is dissociated because a player can't attempt multiple attacks in the same round, for purely metagame reasons.

See above. It's not metagame if there's an in-character association with that limitation, which is the character's awareness of how much they can do in a certain amount of time (which, in this case, is how quickly they can attack).

pemerton said:
Gyagx's AD&D has multiple sets of mechanics for resolving movement - there are the dungeon exploration rules; the engaging in and withdrawing from melee rules; the evasion and pursuit rules (which are themselves different indoors, where movement rates matter, and outdoors, where movement rates mostly don't matter).

You do realize you undercut your own point here, by mentioning that there are in-character circumstances for these, right? That's very different from saying "you suddenly realize you don't have the same focus to repeat the maneuver you just did six seconds ago, at least not with anywhere near the same effectiveness."

pemerton said:
3E has two different mechanics for inflicting hit point loss: damage to hit points, and damage to CON.

That's an outright false equivalence. Damage to your Constitution score affects your hit points as a side-effect; it's not another mechanic for dealing hit point damage.

pemerton said:
Many tables use multiple mechanics for resolving social interactions: CHA or Diplomacy checks; and freeform. Gygax, in his DMG, suggests the suitability of multiple mechanics for discovering secret doors - die rolls, and freeform narration of PC attempts to manipulate elements of their physical environment.

All of which are either up to the player to utilize, or have an in-game reason for why one is used rather than another without impinging on the character's freedom of agency. Saying that you'll need to use Bluff instead of Diplomacy on a guard is because of how the guard feels, not because suddenly your character lacks the mental focus to be able to try and be diplomatic...and even then, you can try and make a Diplomacy check anyway, if you feel so inclined.

pemerton said:
Almost every D&D table uses at least two different mechanics to handle the passage of ingame time - the tracking of combat rounds in intimate detail; and the hand-waving of time spent resting/waiting for the next mission.

Which is completely irrelevant to the issue of character agency, which raises the question of why you'd bother mentioning this in the first place.

pemerton said:
There are all sorts of reasons for using different mechanics to model different things, from considerations of pacing, to simulation, to distributing agency across different participants in the game. I think all three of the considerations I just mentioned motivate 4e's decision to have multiple mechanical pathways to the same outcome.

None of the reasons you outlined impinge on a player's agency for his character, or at least they don't without a viable in-game reason for why a certain action can't be attempted. None of the ways you mentioned justify 4E's decision to arbitrarily impede a character's ability to attempt to do anything.

pemerton said:
Well, that is what the rules are trying to do - page 42 of the DMG says as much.

See above. This is a very poor excuse that doesn't deal with the heart of the problem.

pemerton said:
Actually a whole page of the DMG is devoted to this, suggesting appropriate DCs and damage ranges. When it comes to imposing conditions, WotC initially left this up to GM intuition, but later published a web column on the topic.

Which doesn't speak to the issue. You're still telling the player that suddenly there character can't do something they just could - saying "well, you can do it, just not as well because you've suddenly become a weak-willed ninny" isn't any better.

pemerton said:
The whole action economy is an "artificial set of restrictions" - it is a product of human artifice, for resolving turns in a game. It does not correspond to anything in the imagined reality of the gameworld.

Utterly false. While the characters don't see the use of turn-based combat in-character, there's still a sense of how much they can act in the course of a round, and whether or not they'll complete an action before someone else can complete their's.

pemerton said:
For me, this is as absurd as the high level fighter having more physical robustness than an ancient dragon, simply because his/her hp total is higher.

The idea that you'd conflate the two as equally impossible to imagine is astounding. Do you have an idea how many seconds it'd take you to move thirty feet and swing a sword? So does your fighter. 'nuff said.

pemerton said:
The idea that the action economy is a reality of the gameworld is just too silly for me to contemplate. It implies that the whole world is a stop-motion one, like the set of a Wallace and Gromit movie. It implies that peasant rail guns are actually possible in the gameworld. It implies that initiative, and the boundary between rounds, is a measurable natural phenomenon as opposed to part of the real-world rationing devices used to make the game play work.

The idea that you can't judge how long it'd take you to perform a task, and how fast you're accomplishing it compared to the people around you, is too foolish to be taken at all seriously. It would require not only an unintuitive break from the world as we understand it now, but an inability to equate even the most self-evident comparisons between the real world and the game world that the game asks you to make.

pemerton said:
Night and day are natural realities. The seasons are a natural reality. The six-second interval by which we measure the passage of time in combat, however, is mere artifice. It's a device. The characters in the gameworld have no conception of it. As TwoSix says, they just act.

The structure of the round is artifice, but it's used as a measurement for the passage of time of which the characters are entirely aware. Your fighter knows that in the time it takes him to move twenty or thirty feet and swing his sword is roughly the same amount of time that it'll take the orcs to each do the same thing, for the wizard to cast a spell, etc. Your idea that somehow nobody knows how long it's going to take to do anything at all is something that can't be taken seriously.

BryonD

Hero

They most certainly are distinctly different things.

Gimli can declare there is a rock there is one thing.
Gimli can not declare there is a rock there is a different thing.

"Real RPGs" is a loaded term.
I think the idea of "roleplaying" as being inside the character and experiencing the abilities and limitations therein is obviously reasonable. If you want to say that something that goes beyond that definition is still a "real RPG", then fine. My point is not to get into a "you are not a gamer" kinda silliness. Play what you like. But it becomes impossible to have meaningful exchanges when words stop meaning things.

And, regardless, what Perm specifically said to me on more than one occasion contradicts your reply to KM.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
A debate I had several times with Perm was that he saw 4E putting a lot of narrative control in the hands of the players. We specifically debated the difference between being in a character and being in the role of author.

Tolkien can say if there is a handy fist sized rock behind the tree stump. Gimli might want a handy fist sized rock, but Gimli has no power to make it be true. If you are roleplaying Gimli then you have no powers that Gimli does not have. Perm stated (my words here) that 4E created a shared story-telling opportunity and it allowed and encouraged the players to create the reality around the characters.

I said that, to me, this is shared story writing and not roleplaying. I make no claim that one is the slightest bit better than the other. But they are distinctly different things.

And as he firmly defended on more than one occasion, in 4E as he expressed it, the player DOES have this kind of power.
I agree with your characterization of [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s statements.

The point I find contentious is, of course, your view that roleplaying is only roleplaying if you have any capabilities outside of the purview of your character. Quite simply, it's making a semantic distinction that only serves to antagonize people who enjoy those type of games. It's nonsensical to pursue the distinction, other than to be aware that multiple avenues of roleplay exist.

D&D is a role-playing game. Every edition.
All of the World of Darkness games are role-playing games.
13th Age is a role-playing game.
Hillfolk is a role-playing game.
All of the *World games are role-playing games.
Shadowrun is a role-playing game.
Mouse Guard is a role-playing game.
Fiasco is a role-playing game.
Heck, even Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine is a role-playing game.

Embrace some of these games, hate some of these games, that's fine. But trying to categorize some as a real "roleplaying game" and the other games as "something else" is a fool's errand. Shoving certain games out of the category out of a twisted sense of linguistical purity does nothing to help the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads