D&D 5E Is there a conversion of the "Caverns of Thracia" to 5e?

Gaxkang

Villager
Has anyone ever done a conversion of this and has some notes they can share? Or just tips in general on how to run it? Also how would you convert the Dog Brothers? I was thinking about replacing them with another beast race altogether like centaurs or harpies. Tips are appreciated!

S'mon

Legend
I use the 3e version of Thracia. My conversion to 5e system:

AC: Halve AC over 10.
Hit Points: Increase by 50%.
Attributes: Halve attributes over 20 (monster) or cap at 20 (NPC)
Damage: Increase by 50%.
Attack Bonus (weapon or spell) & Spell Save DC: Calculate based on CR-derived Proficiency + Attribute bonus
Good Saves: If it's a Good (2+1/2 level) save in 3e, the monster has Proficiency in it in 5e.
Will > WIS and possibly INT or CHA. Ref > DEX. Fort > CON and possibly STR.

This is easy enough to do that I can convert during play. I rarely worry about the exact number of spell slots an npc caster has, they will be dead in 2-3 rounds anyway...

Gaxkang

Villager
I use the 3e version of Thracia. My conversion to 5e system:

AC: Halve AC over 10.
Hit Points: Increase by 50%.
Attributes: Halve attributes over 20 (monster) or cap at 20 (NPC)
Damage: Increase by 50%.
Attack Bonus (weapon or spell) & Spell Save DC: Calculate based on CR-derived Proficiency + Attribute bonus
Good Saves: If it's a Good (2+1/2 level) save in 3e, the monster has Proficiency in it in 5e.
Will > WIS and possibly INT or CHA. Ref > DEX. Fort > CON and possibly STR.

This is easy enough to do that I can convert during play. I rarely worry about the exact number of spell slots an npc caster has, they will be dead in 2-3 rounds anyway...

Halving AC over 10 seems a little much no? If a Dog Brother has 14 ac then he has 7?

S'mon

Legend
Halving AC over 10 seems a little much no? If a Dog Brother has 14 ac then he has 7?

No, that's 4 points over 10. 4/2= 2 +10 = AC 12.

Personally I kept the Dog Brothers at 4d8 hit dice as I couldn't see why they should be much tougher
than gnolls.

For weaker creatures whose AC is derived from armour it often works to calculate their
AC based on listed armour & DEX; if this works out high then keep their hp unaltered rather than
increase by 50%. At higher levels & with large monsters the reduce AC & increase hp rule works very
well.

Last edited:

Remove ads