Is there a DM Obligation for PC Abilities?

What is the DM's obligation to the forgetful player who doesn't remember the PC's abilities?

• 1. DM should remind the player when the ability is useful during the game.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • 2. DM can hint, but not tell the player, during the game.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 3. DM should remind the player between sessions, but not during the game.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 4. DM has no obligation to remind the player.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • 5. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • 6. A DM can try anything, but only the player can listen.

Votes: 24 27.0%

• Poll closed .

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So I think its dependent on the context. I run one group of fairly experienced role players. In those games, I typically won't remind players, but there are times I will when it is clearly something that the player and character would do in a situation. Often times, the reminder will enhance the experience and fun of the group.

I also run another group of first timers. They don't own any of the books and we only play once in a while (maybe once every 1-3 months). Unfortunately because of the situation, I feel like I know the mechanics of the character better than their players. I don't hold it against them and will frequently provide reminders. It can get frustrating, but that is because they are much more casual about the game than I am. As such, my frustration is more often my own issue and unmet expectation rather than an issue of the group. For this group it is less about the strategy and game aspect, and more about getting together with friends and telling cool stories. So as long as I keep that in mind, it's not really a big deal.

So in response to the question of it being an obligation, I don't think so. But a good DM knows how to cultivate a fun experience and game. If reminding a player about some ability will enhance that without negatively impacting the enjoyment for others, then a DM should consider it a part of their DM toolbox.

h/t @Oofta @Ruin Explorer
To give you an idea as to the context of this conversation, the genesis was discussing a player in one of my campaigns who has a decided inability to remember that his Fighters have action surge. No matter how many times people (DM, other players) tell him, he just can't seem to remember that he has it and that he can use it.

This seemed to strike a chord, as Oofta noted that he has a player who, similarly, often forgets about his Battlemaster skills. Now these are particular examples, but I think that over time we all have either had players, or been players that have forgotten about abilities (or magic items, or spells, or whatever) that our characters had and should be used.

With these examples, I think I might have an out of game conversation with the player. Those aren't just small abilities but core aspects of a class/subclass identity. I might ask the player if they liked the lore/fluff around the class, or were more drawn to the mechanics. If the lore/fluff, I might suggest they choose a class they like better mechanically and find ways of reskinning it to better meet their expectations with how the character relates within the game world, rather than how they function. For example, a name like a Battlemaster is pretty cool, so a player may want to play a battlemaster without tracking all those maneuvers and superiority dice. In which case I might suggest player a champion but allowing them to call themselves a battlemaster.

On the other hand, if a player is less than thrilled or excited about certain abilities like action surge, it may be a couple of things. They may not really understand the ability or how it can be beneficial, or they just might not like it. If the former, providing examples and explanations might help. If the latter, either let the player just not use the ability, or offer some kind of alternate ability. If it doesn't hurt the enjoyment that the player doesn't want to action surge, then no need to worry. But if the player feels like they are losing out by being shackled to an ability that isn't fun for them, I feel I have a strong enough grasp of the mechanics to adjust the ability to make it more enjoyable without breaking the game. But not everyone may be comfortable doing so. In which case, YMMV.

Last edited:

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I voted for I can do anything, but the player has to listen to me. Other than that is the Assassin's Creed option.

Maybe if I cut off the ring finger of their right hand next....

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I have too much to keep track of to keep track of when a player should use his abilities.

If you are playing pay attention and run your PC.
Never understood this. One of my favorite streaming DMs says this, too, but he very clearly knows when the player is forgetting stuff, so it’s not like saying “did you mean to use Reckless Attack” would be additional cognitive load.

Maybe it’s because I just have a really solid grasp of 5e player mechanics, but even with classes I don’t care about I can be like, “don’t forget you have sorcery points and metamagics” when a Sorcerer player seems to just be running the simplest thing possible in dire situations. I don’t see how it adds anything to keep track of.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I voted 1, but obligated is a bit strong I think. If I happen to recall that a character has an ability that is situationally appropriate and the player forgets, I'll remind them. No one's perfect, and if the circumstances were reversed I would hope they would do the same for me. Of course, there's no guarantee I'll remember, and if we all forget, such is life.

However, I wouldn't say I'm obligated to do so by anything beyond basic courtesy. In an antagonistic style game where it is players vs DM, I'd say there's no obligation whatsoever. That's not my style though. I'll TPK a party without hesitation if that's the way the dice fall or the players choose poorly, but I have no desire to do so on a technicality like a player forgetting an ability that their character should have remembered (or even should have been automatic, like a resistance).

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Never understood this. One of my favorite streaming DMs says this, too, but he very clearly knows when the player is forgetting stuff, so it’s not like saying “did you mean to use Reckless Attack” would be additional cognitive load.

Maybe it’s because I just have a really solid grasp of 5e player mechanics, but even with classes I don’t care about I can be like, “don’t forget you have sorcery points and metamagics” when a Sorcerer player seems to just be running the simplest thing possible in dire situations. I don’t see how it adds anything to keep track of.

For me it's more like "Don't do things for people that they can do for themselves." We rob people of their own victories, however minor this example may be in the grand scheme, if we do things for them in this regard. It's a good feeling in my view to work toward getting better and having something to show for it (increased game skill and knowledge, in this case).

If they legit need help, the other players are there if the player struggling asks for help. Otherwise my preference is that everyone leave it be and let the player play his or her own character as long as the player is trying in good faith to achieve the goals of play. If the player doesn't get everything exactly right or performs suboptimally, there will probably be some lessons learned and that's okay as I see it. My experience is that they will figure out their character options eventually if it's important enough to them.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
For me it's more like "Don't do things for people that they can do for themselves." We rob people of their own victories, however minor this example may be in the grand scheme, if we do things for them in this regard. It's a good feeling in my view to work toward getting better and having something to show for it (increased game skill and knowledge, in this case).

If they legit need help, the other players are there if the player struggling asks for help. Otherwise my preference is that everyone leave it be and let the player play his or her own character as long as the player is trying in good faith to achieve the goals of play. If the player doesn't get everything exactly right or performs suboptimally, there will probably be some lessons learned and that's okay as I see it. My experience is that they will figure out their character options eventually if it's important enough to them.

IME those who can't remember to use an ability on a regular basis are the same ones that put bare minimum effort into playing, always need help to level up their PC, and really only show up since its something to do on Wed night and everyone else is playing. Eventually they get nudged enough by the other players, whose fun they are a hindrance too as they are making things more difficult, or in our case they start to plan things knowing they are playing around the one guy and have to assume he will be dragging them down. Which is kind of sad but he's one of 3 brothers playing and nobody wants to boot him except me.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The DM has no obligation to do anything here in my view. This goes to player skill and that's on the player to invest time and effort in if he or she wants. Players will tend to be more successful in the game if their work on improving their skills, so there's an incentive for them to try. The other players at the table who benefit from better player skills within the group also have an incentive to help out. The DM needn't do anything other than help when asked.

I tend to give benefit of the doubt at first. But as a DM, I put in a lot of effort into the game in between sessions. If a player can’t even be bothered to read up on their character abilities between sessions, that’s when I lose that benefit of the doubt and they are on their own.

One thing that bothers me are players who think the DM is there for their entertainment only, without needing to put in a basic effort themselves. And then they wonder why DMs are in short supply. And it’s usually the same people who never DM a game themselves.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Past teaching new players to play, the GM has zero obligation to remind the players how their characters work. If anything, that responsibility belongs to the other players. Too many times I see groups who have no idea what their fellow player's characters can do, which is just baffling for a team based game. It's fine if you don't know a wizard's exact loadout, but if you're ten sessions in and you can't remember that Bob's a wizard and Sue's a barbarian, then you clearly aren't paying enough attention to your fellow players.
For experienced players, you should know what your character can do, no ifs ands or buts. If you want to gimp yourself by not bothering to learn the one part of the game you're responsible for, it's no skin off my back.

Remove ads